Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
ritson

vCash: 500
Default a tough question...is it better to maintain the centre of the ring or move alot

is it better to move around alot like ali ,ray leonard and keep the opponent following you and unable to get his feet set... or
to maintain the centre of the ring so the opponent is close to the ropes and you control where they go, like tommy hearns

this is for amateur boxing and i am wondering what is more effective for the scoring system

i personally think the tommy hearns one is the best for ME as i have a good jab and a hard punch, can be aggressive and tall.

i have 3 questions
1. which do you find usefull and which is more effective for the amateur boxing score system
2. if you fight in one of these styles, what is your opinion and any info to share
3 who would win in a amateur bout if the skills requried for each style are both equal
ritson is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2011, 12:33 AM   #2
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202
Default Re: a tough question...is it better to maintain the centre of the ring or move alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritson View Post
is it better to move around alot like ali ,ray leonard and keep the opponent following you and unable to get his feet set... or
to maintain the centre of the ring so the opponent is close to the ropes and you control where they go, like tommy hearns

this is for amateur boxing and i am wondering what is more effective for the scoring system

i personally think the tommy hearns one is the best for ME as i have a good jab and a hard punch, can be aggressive and tall.

i have 3 questions
1. which do you find usefull and which is more effective for the amateur boxing score system
2. if you fight in one of these styles, what is your opinion and any info to share
3 who would win in a amateur bout if the skills requried for each style are both equal
1. I find ring control from the center more effective, and my build/attributes sound similar to yours. Which is more effective is a tossup, depends on who you're fighting.
2. You have to be able to do both, you just have to.
3. idk

Main thing is you have to be able to adapt and/or throw your opponent some curveballs. No style is 'better.'
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
aramini
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: a tough question...is it better to maintain the centre of the ring or move alot

I used to try the forward wrecking ball approach, press them relentlessly to the ropes, but that only works on some guys.

Now I admit I have been most effective with the in and out, but I HAVE to be moving, I can hit hard without planting my feet but don't have extreme amounts of facial punch resistance (nose busts up really easily), so the in and out movement, turning to the weird angles, moving to the outside of their jab so the power can't reach me across their body, etc. so I prefer to either press them to the ropes and beat them up or move a lot.

I don't like the center of the ring AT ALL, but it may be I am used to sparring tall guys.

so
1. I think movement with clear blows is good, especially if the opponent is hitting air and you are landing
2. see above, but I am psychologically incapable of standing in front of someone without trying to bully them to the ropes or retreating
3. I think the mover has an advantage with angles if they can stay outside the jab where the other center control fighter can't reach, but so many variables here. I think the center guy needs a good accurate jab/hook off the jab to keep the mover from pulling off his game plan.
aramini is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing