Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-02-2007, 10:51 PM   #16
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Max Baer is a Boxing God - Worhsip Him!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibragimovfan
cinderella man the movie made him seem like an asshole i dont know if it was a fair representation or not

It was a disgusting representation.

According to what i've read, Baer was deeply troubled about the injuries he caused in the ring, some say he was never the same fighter again.
McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2007, 10:52 PM   #17
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

Quote:
cinderella man the movie made him seem like an asshole i dont know if it was a fair representation or not
Dude, it was an utter bullshit representation. Read Jeremy Shaap's book Cinderella Man, it shows the real Baer. He was extremely remorceful about killing Frankie Campbell. I believe he paid for his kid to go to college. And that scene where he makes leering comments to Braddock's wife - completely made up. I've read just about anything about Baer there is to read and other than the womanizing and his love of the nightlife, it's virtually ALL bullshit.

Actually, they appear to have based the Baer character on a character HE played in a movie which was a Primo Carnera biopic. I believe it's called The Harder They Fall. Utter fiction - and SLANDER to Baer's rep, imo. His son - y'know, Jethro - was deservedly PO'd about how they portrayed his father.
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 10:52 PM   #18
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert ungurean
Can u picture Baer with lets say Fraziers heart,work ethis & determination.
That would be some fighter indeed.

Yes you're right - although those attributes as they displayed themselves in Frazier are about as rare as Liston's jab.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 10:54 PM   #19
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

............They were so off-base about him in that film it was ridiculous, but from a purely film-making standpoint, I can see the need for a villain in that role. I don't think it was needed, frankly, as the villain was aptly played by circumstance, but this made it easier for the public as a whole to digest.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 10:54 PM   #20
hopkinsfan07
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1305

Baer's son

My father cried about what happened to Frankie Campbell. He had nightmares. "In reality, my father was one of the kindest, gentlest men you would ever hope to meet. He treated boxing the way today's professional wrestlers do wrestling: part sport, mostly showmanship. He never deliberately hurt anyone." He helped put Frankie's children through college
hopkinsfan07 is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 10:54 PM   #21
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Massive puncher, iron chin...never really reached his potential and was never fully dedicated to the sport. I have him outside the top 20, or just inside of it, depending on what day you talk to me.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 10:57 PM   #22
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
Massive puncher, iron chin...never really reached his potential and was never fully dedicated to the sport. I have him outside the top 20, or just inside of it, depending on what day you talk to me.
Bad_Intentions is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 11:03 PM   #23
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Intentions
Well, my list changes all the time...I'm always switching it up and moving guys up and down.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 11:05 PM   #24
hopkinsfan07
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1305

Quote:
Well, my list changes all the time...I'm always switching it up and moving guys up and down.
yea same my top 5 stay the same most the time but 6-20 change alot
hopkinsfan07 is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 11:07 PM   #25
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

Quote:
Right on the money. Baer didn't fullfull his potential, but his ability should not be questioned. The guy had an IRON chin - he was only counted out once, against the great Joe Louis and that was by choice. He could have gotten up, but said something to the effect "the fans paid to see a boxing match, not an execution."

He was one of the hardest hitters in HW history, and deserves to rank in the top five in both punching power AND chin. And he didn't even really apply himself - that's says something for how good he really was.
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 11:07 PM   #26
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakman
Dude, it was an utter bullshit representation. Read Jeremy Shaap's book Cinderella Man, it shows the real Baer. He was extremely remorceful about killing Frankie Campbell. I believe he paid for his kid to go to college. And that scene where he makes leering comments to Braddock's wife - completely made up. I've read just about anything about Baer there is to read and other than the womanizing and his love of the nightlife, it's virtually ALL bullshit.

Actually, they appear to have based the Baer character on a character HE played in a movie which was a Primo Carnera biopic. I believe it's called The Harder They Fall. Utter fiction - and SLANDER to Baer's rep, imo. His son - y'know, Jethro - was deservedly PO'd about how they portrayed his father.

............Schaap did a tremendous job with that book. One of the best I've read, and from what I understand, his maiden voyage as an author. Not a bad way to start. Must reading for any boxing fan.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #27
Marnoff
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
They portrayed him that way to give the main character someone to shine against.
Marnoff is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 11:20 PM   #28
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan
............Schaap did a tremendous job with that book. One of the best I've read, and from what I understand, his maiden voyage as an author. Not a bad way to start. Must reading for any boxing fan.
It's an absolutely great book, and one that is quite unique in that it gives solid bios of two overlooked fighters today. Fans today don't realize what an upset the Braddock-Baer fight was - it was that generation's Douglas-Tyson. Boxing fans and experts expected Baer to rule the HW division for a long time.
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 11:46 PM   #29
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakman
It's an absolutely great book, and one that is quite unique in that it gives solid bios of two overlooked fighters today. Fans today don't realize what an upset the Braddock-Baer fight was - it was that generation's Douglas-Tyson. Boxing fans and experts expected Baer to rule the HW division for a long time.

...........That was indeed an enormous thing at the time. An absolutely huge upset, very much on the Douglas-Tyson level. It would be talked about to death today, in this age of instant media, but whatever.

I'm frankly okay with Howard portraying Baer as he did, if only because it brought this amazing (and amazingly forgotten) story to the public conscience again. It's an incredible story, and one that deserves remembering.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:41 AM   #30
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan
...........That was indeed an enormous thing at the time. An absolutely huge upset, very much on the Douglas-Tyson level. It would be talked about to death today, in this age of instant media, but whatever.

I'm frankly okay with Howard portraying Baer as he did, if only because it brought this amazing (and amazingly forgotten) story to the public conscience again. It's an incredible story, and one that deserves remembering.
I went and saw the movie myself, and truthfully, other than that really tasteless scene where the Baer character intimates he'll screw Braddock's wife after he kills him I wasn't horribly outraged. THAT I thought was really over the top - they could have established Baer as the "villan" without that sort of tasteless crap. Distorting the Campbell and Shaff fights were enough.

You know what though - I suspect Baer himself would've understood it. He was a Hollywood guy and knew that movies were fantasy. Truthfully, it's only boxing fans, and diehard Baer fans like myself, who REALLY care. And Baer, Jr. of course - who I do feel bad for. He's a REAL weird dude y'know - quite a character just like Dad.
Zakman is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum