Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-22-2011, 05:32 AM   #31
Moe Greene

vCash:
Default Re: Pound-for-Pound Rankings 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh View Post
There's no mention of him in the article mate, just the top 10 and brief nods to Ali and Tyrone Everett. However, you may be interested to know that Muangsurin came runner-up in BI's 1977 Fighter of the Year Poll, so they at least recognised his achievements that year. Note: that pfp ranking were done in summer of 77, not end of year, when I think he may have received some votes.
Thanks very much, been trying to find out how highly regarded he was at the time
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #32
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Surprised Esteban DeJesus was in there.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #33
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
Good to see the sport has come on in leaps and bounds since those lean times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh View Post

1. Carlos Zarate
2. Carlos Monzon
3. Roberto Duran
4. Alexis Arguello
5. Miguel Canto
6. John Conteh
7. Wilfred Benitez
8. Carlos Palomino
9. Victor Galindez
10. Esteban De Jesus
Just where do you guys think Money and Pac would come on this list?
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #34
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

What, they've beaten the guys they've beaten now and that counts as their '77' (Manny hasn't had a great year!) or they're in that era?

Mayweather would be ****ed in terms of resume. I'd pick Manny and Floyd to outpoint Palomino over 12.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #35
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

PAc's career would have ended prematurely at the novice stage after ill-advised weight draining and careless matchmaking saw him reduced to a near-vegetable state at the hands of Borkhorsor or Olivares, or maybe Zarate in a non-title fight or something.

mayweather could make a name for himself at 130, though he would need to triumph against Arguello and maybe make a successful move to lightweight to start to hit the top 5.A hight rating would be do-able if he was willing to put the effort in though.

Pac would be ****ed without some shrewd early matchmaking
lora is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #36
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
PAc's career would have ended prematurely at the novice stage after ill-advised weight draining and careless matchmaking saw him reduced to a near-vegetable state at the hands of Borkhorsor or Olivares, or maybe Zarate in a non-title fight or something.

mayweather could make a name for himself at 130, though he would need to triumph against Arguello and maybe make a successful move to lightweight to start to hit the top 5.A hight rating would be do-able if he was willing to put the effort in though.

Pac would be ****ed without some shrewd early matchmaking
I imagine he wouldn't have fought at Fly! But yes, even fighting as a smaller feather, he would be okay on the Sukhothai, Navarette, Cabanela circuit, but not at the top level.

At Feather against the likes of Chacon, Olivares and Lopez? Incredible fights all three, he'd likely suffer a loss here and there as he did against the guys he foughts in his own time.

Going on him making a natural progression through the weights, he isn't doing anything at Lightweight. Duran would muller him.

Cervantes Vs Pac' at 140 is not something I've contemplated before. I'll go Cervantes points, can't be arsed to think about it.

Palomino would give Manny rougher moments than Margarito did. I'll favour the 147lb Pac' that demolished Cotto to just come through 15 rounds and win on points in a terrific fight.

Benitez would beat Pac' on points IMO, in a tremendous fight. Manny will have his chances to score when Benitez is chilling, his fast handed swarming against Benitez's defence will make a few hard-to-score rounds IMO.

I'll go for the best 140lb Floyd to beat Benitez in a close one at 140. The Benitez that beat Palomino at 147 Vs the Floyd that fought Baldomir? Meh, Benitez just because he's better.
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum