Old 08-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #16
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238
Default Re: Weight training out of season

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomUK View Post
After a bit of research I came across this workout. The exercises seem great but is it a good idea doing 3 consecutive day?

Rippetoes -

Workout 1 -
Squat - 3X5
Bench - 3X5
Deadlift - 1X5

Workout 2 -
Squat - 3X5
Military Press - 3X5
Row - 3X5

3 consecutive workout days alternating workout 1 and 2.
That's a nice program, if you want to gain physical strength (not punching power) and a bodybuilder's physique. For a boxer to have that as sole training, it's terrible. You will bulk up, go up a few weight classes, with little gain in actual power, lesser stamina, and slower hands.. all the while fighting guys who are naturally bigger than you.

Mind you, it does take 6 months of doing this program (and this program only) before the mentioned effects will come into play. Depending on your diet, dedication and genetics, you may gain 10-20lbs of good looking but rather useless boxing muscle in half a year.

If you want to stay in boxing shape, then just run twice a week, do small weight training (many reps, stay fast and explosive) or none at all and just go for shadow boxing, some pushups, sitsup and cardio exercises.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2011, 02:59 AM   #17
TomUK
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 215

Ok thanks for the input!

I'm looking to improve my strength but not wanting to bulk up really. I'm light for my height so wouldn't mind a few kg's but nothing more than that. Lower stamina and slower hands is definitely something I don't want! I have read a few places that certain types of weight training can increase hand speed. That is basically the type of workout I'm looking for?

I surf alot and plan to start running again once I get into the routine of training so that is the cardio side covered.

Shadow boxing and light weight/explosive training is out of the question at the moment though. I have tendinosis in my left elbow and any type of explosive action or accidental lockout is doing more damage. I'm waiting to see a physio to see if even a weight training routine is a good idea.

I am working in a foreign country until March so wanting something to fill my time that will be beneficial when my elbow is better and i start boxing again.
TomUK is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2011, 03:33 AM   #18
MrSmall
Journeyman

vCash: 1000

Bulking up will depend on your training and diet.
If you do your regular cardio and boxing training, you won't grow that much as your body will not want to be any heavier. But you will get stronger from the strength training.
And obviously if you don't eat a lot you won't gain weight.
You won't get slower and worse stamina overnight, it would take a fair bit of work and diligently neglecting those areas for quite a while before anything happens.

If you have tendonitis, then you have to do the opposite movement of what caused that tendonitis. I would imagine if its in the elbow its too much extension. So 3 times a week do 50-100 reps of curls with some weight, can be the empty barbell or even some dumbells, but you need to do the opposite of what bothers you to flush blush to the area and bring balance to that area. tendonitis is usually just too much of one thing and not enough of the other. There are exceptions but shoulders/elbows are the most common as they are small weak joints to begin with, couple that with people boxing on these weak joints and extending the elbows and rotating their shoulders internally thousands of times a week, and you have a solid recipe for tendonitis and injury. Strength training to help a sport is probably more about injury prevention and strengthening the areas you don't think about, than it is gaining speed, physical strength and size.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2011, 04:23 AM   #19
TomUK
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Ok sweet so that workout along with some cardio for a few months is not going to be too detrimental for when I do start boxing again.

The injury occurred in a sparring session a few weeks before my first amateur bout. I should have pulled out of the bout and let it heal but instead carried on training through 4 bouts over 5 months. Really regretting that now! From what I can gather it has now turned into tendinosis which is what happens if tendinitis is repeatedly aggravated. I need to see a doctor again about it really but not sure how easy that is going to be since i'm away from home.
TomUK is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #20
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

In my experience, the most useful boxing exercises are ones that have your body or parts of it moving relatively fast: shadow boxing (general), heavy/speed bag/pad work (power/technique/general/coordination), roadwork (conditioning), rope skipping (coordination, conditioning), swimming/cycling (general conditioning), etc.

Low rep weight lifting can be good for general development if you feel you lack strength, but to have it as your sole exercise for a prelonged period (several months) can be detrimental, considering boxing has weight classes and depends largely on stamina, endurance and speed, and your power will not increase that much. Lifting weight will make you better at lifting weights, not at throwing punches.

If in your position, i'd focus on a lot of cardio exercises. If you can do light weight lifting, then you can also do light shadow boxing? At any rate, be careful and take the time to heal, while keeping your general conditioning on level.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2011, 03:35 AM   #21
TomUK
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I can do light shadow boxing, but a sudden lock out of my arm hurts like hell and can't be helping so I've been staying away from it. Back when I was training for my fights, no matter how hard I tried I couldn't stop flicking my jab out to the point where my arm locks out.

Thanks for the advice from everyone. It's given me a lot to think about!
TomUK is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #22
red boy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

I dont bother with weight lifting any more. Just do my own body weight excersises.
red boy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing