Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-26-2011, 03:22 AM   #1
TomUK
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 215
Default Weight training out of season

Hey all!

I am wanting to start a weight routine specific to boxing but I'm not currently training (due to overseas work and injury). I don't know very much about weight training; from the research I've done so far I want to be training speed-strength but I'm pretty puzzled when it comes to putting together a routine to train that. Could anyone give me an example of there routine to give me a starting point? I've got an idea of the exercises to do but not sure how much weight to be lifting, for home many reps, and how frequently?

I'm also slightly concerned about doing weights for a few months without doing any boxing. I understand that if you train correctly with weights no loss of speed or flexibility will occur. Do you think this is still the case when no other training is involved?
TomUK is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2011, 04:46 AM   #2
TomUK
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Weight training out of season

After a bit of research I came across this workout. The exercises seem great but is it a good idea doing 3 consecutive day?

Rippetoes -

Workout 1 -
Squat - 3X5
Bench - 3X5
Deadlift - 1X5

Workout 2 -
Squat - 3X5
Military Press - 3X5
Row - 3X5

3 consecutive workout days alternating workout 1 and 2.[/quote]
TomUK is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 05:04 AM   #3
MrSmall
Journeyman

vCash: 1000

That seems simple and effective mate.
As a boxer I would add in some shoulder rehab work to keep them healthy.
Look up the Diesel Crew Shoulder Rehab protocol on google.
And for that plan, don't do 3 consecutive days, alternate the workouts over something like a mwf split. you can of course do them consecutive days, but if you are not that pressed for time, and a beginner so you will get a bit sore at the start, give yourself that extra day recovery.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 06:12 AM   #4
JabCross
Journeyman

vCash: 500

I thought that the SS program was already a M/W/F split.
JabCross is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
vonLPC
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabCross View Post
I thought that the SS program was already a M/W/F split.
It is. This is an excellent program by one of the best strength trainers in the business.
vonLPC is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
MrSmall
Journeyman

he isn't, vonPLC, credit where credit is due only.
his starting strength book and routine is good for beginners no doubt.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
vonLPC
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall View Post
he isn't, vonPLC, credit where credit is due only.
his starting strength book and routine is good for beginners no doubt.
Wow, this surprises me. I have never heard respected strength and conditioning athletes/trainers say anything but positive about him. He has produced some pretty good strength athletes in the past. One of the biggest things I have heard and experienced in reading his articles and books is his common sense approach to strength training and programming.
vonLPC is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonLPC View Post
Wow, this surprises me. I have never heard respected strength and conditioning athletes/trainers say anything but positive about him. He has produced some pretty good strength athletes in the past. One of the biggest things I have heard and experienced in reading his articles and books is his common sense approach to strength training and programming.
He's just a prick that's been spouting the same basic shit for years.
viru§™ is online now  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
vonLPC
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
He's just a prick that's been spouting the same basic shit for years.
Oh, okay, I don't keep quite as astute as I used to with the "strength community" but felt that he was pretty sharp and on point. Why do you say he is a prick out of curiosity and what is the "basic" stuff over years. Lastly, why could he not progress say an advanced athlete on his training philosophies? Is it his programming/periodization/etc? As always Virus, just wanting to know your reasons why, not trying to start anything.
vonLPC is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2011, 03:54 AM   #10
MrSmall
Journeyman

Quote:
As I said, fine for beginners, even intermediates. But to call him a great strength trainer and coaching mind from the things I've seen him write and say, I can't agree at all.
To each their own though, if you work with his program (based around compound lifts with good technique, ascending weight and eating plenty!!! wowzers!) you will make gains!
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2011, 06:34 AM   #11
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Oh, okay, I don't keep quite as astute as I used to with the "strength community" but felt that he was pretty sharp and on point. Why do you say he is a prick out of curiosity and what is the "basic" stuff over years. Lastly, why could he not progress say an advanced athlete on his training philosophies? Is it his programming/periodization/etc? As always Virus, just wanting to know your reasons why, not trying to start anything.
Just his general attitude of do it my way or you're a "****ing *****" which he constantly repeats. If you want to look good (building muscle slowly while maitaining a low bodyfat) you're a ***** apparently. His recommendations for diet is to eat everything and end up over 20% bodyfat, at least then you'll be big and strong, you'll just look like shit!!!

The guys a moron.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:07 AM   #12
TomUK
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall View Post
That seems simple and effective mate.
As a boxer I would add in some shoulder rehab work to keep them healthy.
Look up the Diesel Crew Shoulder Rehab protocol on google.
And for that plan, don't do 3 consecutive days, alternate the workouts over something like a mwf split. you can of course do them consecutive days, but if you are not that pressed for time, and a beginner so you will get a bit sore at the start, give yourself that extra day recovery.
Thanks for the positive and helpful reply

I found the shoulder rehab exercises and it looks great so will definitely work it in. Here are the circuits, taken from the Diesel Crew website:

Circuit 1:
DB Retractions
DB Protractions
Posterior Capsule Stretch

Circuit 2:
DB Cuban Rotations
Band External Rotations
Band Pull Aparts
Band Dislocates
Band Presses

Circuit 3:
Pull-up Retraction
Barbell Overhead Shrugs
Push-up Plus
Posterior Capsule Stretch

Circuit 4:
Incline DB Retraction
Prone “Y’s”
Prone Internal Rotations

Circuit 5:
EQI Push-ups
Prone “T’s”
Plate Halos

Now on the website it says that should all be done in a week. Would it be ok to do 3 of the circuits a week at the same time as the other routine? Or should it all be done in a week and at different times to the other routine?

And one more question, what % of my 1rm should I be lifting with the strength training routine? I assume with the shoulder exercises the emphasis is on conditioning so relatively light weight should be used.
TomUK is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2011, 03:20 AM   #13
MrSmall
Journeyman

don't worry about doing all of them in a week, that's for if you have an injury.
Take 1 of the circuits, do it as many sets/reps as they say, and then later in the week or next week do another, so in total 1-2 of their "days" a week, as its prehab, not rehab, so can be less aggressive.

No, for strength training, you train for strength. In conditioning, you train for endurance and conditioning, don't use one for the other. Military press will give you strong supporting shoulders to weather all the punches you throw, not sure about increasing power but a stronger body is a stronger body. For that routine, I would probably work in the 70-85% range, less earlier on in your training and building up towards 3x5 with the 85%, which would probably set you in good stead for a couple of new personal bests.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2011, 03:40 AM   #14
TomUK
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Sweet as! Over the course of a few months do you regularly check your 1RM and adjust weights accordingly or just up the weights when it feels like its getting to easy?
TomUK is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2011, 04:08 AM   #15
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomUK View Post
Sweet as! Over the course of a few months do you regularly check your 1RM and adjust weights accordingly or just up the weights when it feels like its getting to easy?
You only need to check your 1RM to work out your weight percentages, other than that it doesn't matter, unless you're a powerlifter.

Start with a weight that feels too light and add the smallest possible weight each session until you can't add weight anymore.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing