Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075
Default Re: Definition of 'Fit' ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jof View Post
Agreed with most of the above.

In the traditional sense I don't regard myself as fit - my running is terrible and I can't lift a bag of potatoes. However...I can easiy spend an hour on the pads or sparring for 6 rounds or so. You get conditioned to the sport. Im my opionion your better off hitting the bag and sparring than doing endless floor exercises.

They help for sure. But you get fit for boxing by....boxing

probably should have said that. If its not boxing related then its supplemental.
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2011, 05:19 AM   #17
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 95

ye sparring isnt a huge problem cause there are those few seconds of rest every now and then in the round.. before pads we were doing bag work and my coach told me "go light on the bag then give your 110% on the pads" and i did so. I wanted to put a good first impression on the TKO coach and i sure did, thing is he would make pads constant , 2 minutes of constant punching killed me.. thanks alot for the feedback guys couldnt have been better. Running is the only thing i dont do in Boxing, never liked it but im willng to train even harder now, thanks again
Juxhin is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 05:23 AM   #18
jof
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1363

He sounds like he is just doing punch out drills with you. That's not really training on the pads.

With pads you should be doing a combo and then moving, changing angle etc. Not just throwing 1-2's for 3 mins without a break.
jof is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 05:25 AM   #19
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxhin View Post
ye sparring isnt a huge problem cause there are those few seconds of rest every now and then in the round.. before pads we were doing bag work and my coach told me "go light on the bag then give your 110% on the pads" and i did so. I wanted to put a good first impression on the TKO coach and i sure did, thing is he would make pads constant , 2 minutes of constant punching killed me.. thanks alot for the feedback guys couldnt have been better. Running is the only thing i dont do in Boxing, never liked it but im willng to train even harder now, thanks again

Sounds like you have a very good head on your shoulders and willing to learn and listen, the stuff we've talked about will help. But get back with that coach and keep working. It used to kill me too doesnt anymore and although sprints ect ect helps if i had never done pads for 2 mins before it would still kill me.

Good luck keep working hard and enjoy
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 05:34 AM   #20
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jof View Post
He sounds like he is just doing punch out drills with you. That's not really training on the pads.

With pads you should be doing a combo and then moving, changing angle etc. Not just throwing 1-2's for 3 mins without a break.
ye it sounds like that but he puts up different combinations really fast somewhat like, "Roll,Roll, Reverse Hook, Gimme 5! ,Again! ,Again!, Jab, Jab Left body shot" and repeat exactly the same except the Roll with Lean and instead Jab left body shot, Reverse right body shot. Mind you i only did 2 rounds with him and this is what i got.. kinda tough but im willing to work hard just to go somewhere with this sport, i put it before almost everything
Juxhin is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 05:36 AM   #21
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy2007 View Post
Sounds like you have a very good head on your shoulders and willing to learn and listen, the stuff we've talked about will help. But get back with that coach and keep working. It used to kill me too doesnt anymore and although sprints ect ect helps if i had never done pads for 2 mins before it would still kill me.

Good luck keep working hard and enjoy
this sport is everything to me.. im a cheerful boy ive been through a very rough background and i do laugh alot but the only time i smile is when im in the gym training..
Juxhin is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 05:54 AM   #22
democritus2k

vCash: 500

Awhile back there was this new guy in our gym who was marathon fit but he was nowhere near fit enough for boxing, guy would gas out after one round.
democritus2k is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 06:09 AM   #23
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by democritus2k View Post
Awhile back there was this new guy in our gym who was marathon fit but he was nowhere near fit enough for boxing, guy would gas out after one round.
hmm ok so i guess i need to be Boxing Fit
Juxhin is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 06:19 AM   #24
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan_Guzman View Post
Altitude training will help you loads bro.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 06:59 AM   #25
democritus2k

Quote:
Yea, just like what others have said, in boxing you end up using different muscles along with different energy systems.

BTW, it's always nice to hear there are youngunz like you who are serious about training for boxing. Keep on learning and keep up the hard work.
democritus2k is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #26
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by democritus2k View Post
Yea, just like what others have said, in boxing you end up using different muscles along with different energy systems.

BTW, it's always nice to hear there are youngunz like you who are serious about training for boxing. Keep on learning and keep up the hard work.
ye thats the whole point of it, cant really expect a marathon fit person to be able to do a heavy boxing session and thanks, this sport means alot to me and will keep on training till my body can take it i really appreciate all the positive feedback means alot thanks to all
Juxhin is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 07:32 AM   #27
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Fitness. when the clarity of the messages to the Brain, from the Heart are clearly understood .
scrap is online now  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #28
Arranmcl
Arran
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Yup, theres a difference between being in shape and being in fighting shape etc.
Arranmcl is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #29
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Update:

Ive been doing some good running and im already noticing the difference, lasting over 2 rounds of pads already with an amazing result , speed and power. Thanks to all for the feedback, wouldnt have done it without it
Juxhin is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #30
ZeRussian

TS, I'd pay a visit to Ross Enamait's website rossboxing.com. The guy has alot of good information in regards to conditioning for boxing.
ZeRussian is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing