Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2007, 08:59 AM   #1
steelem
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 702
vCash: 1000
Default Gutted

I have got to watch the fight again to say what the hell happened last night - i dont think i saw anything of a hatton we were meant - from what io can remember its like hatton didnt train at all & he was fighting someone who had - im just gutted for him & hope his next defence is at light welter & none of this bollox welter!!!
steelem is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,038
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Gutted

What happened was Hatton was fighting Mayweather, the best there is today, & possibly the best fighter of all time.
Mayweather is simply a phenomenon, as close to unbeatable as a fighter can be. There was no disgrace in Hatton being beaten by a guy of that calibre IMO.

My advice to Hatton fans is take the defeat on the chin, & dont get too down about it. Hatton will bounce back, & theres still plenty of mouth watering fights for Hatton out there for everyone to get excited about.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:38 AM   #3
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sunderland
Posts: 2,464
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Gutted

i couldn't agree with dunky more.he was exposed by the best fighter on the planet in my mind a genius.a combination of mayweather and cortez weren't going to let him fight on the inside so basically it was all over.i predicted on the main boards earlier in last night that floyd would knock ricky out and so it transpired.no shame in this,although i think ricky could have fought a better fight floyd simply showed what we all know,that he is the best fighter on the planet and an all time great.to cement his legacy he MUST fight cotto.
ron u.k. is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:12 AM   #4
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,038
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Gutted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron u.k.
i couldn't agree with dunky more.he was exposed by the best fighter on the planet in my mind a genius.a combination of mayweather and cortez weren't going to let him fight on the inside so basically it was all over.i predicted on the main boards earlier in last night that floyd would knock ricky out and so it transpired.no shame in this,although i think ricky could have fought a better fight floyd simply showed what we all know,that he is the best fighter on the planet and an all time great.to cement his legacy he MUST fight cotto.
Hatton definitely went up in my estimation after last night. I have been slaughtering him on the forums for ages about his brash talking & 'one of the lads' stuff, but last night opened my eyes up a bit. Firstly, when he admitted to the reporter that he was nervous, & had "butterflies" not long before the fight. That was very honest, & it pleasantly suprised me, after all the trash talking in build up. A nice touch, & not something you would see many boxers admit to.
& of course I thought Mayweather would beat him quickly, but Hatton once again suprised me, he took the fight to Mayweather like he promised & gave everything he had, & although exhausted at the end, he wouldnt quit, when Cortez asked him if he wanted to continue. Then after the fight he was even cracking jokes about the manner of his loss, he handled defeat with class.

Then afterwards on SSN there was the owner of Rickys local pub on, & he burst into tears. he was going on about how Rickys always in his pub, & that he would be there again "as usual" next week, & all the regulars would be still right behind him. It was quite emotional stuff to watch to be honest.

Definitely no shame in this loss, in or out of the ring. Hatton should not dwell on this defeat & get back in action as soon as possible, & get a fight with Malignaggi or Rees. Hatton could beat those two on the same night.

Lennox Lewis is mad for saying Hatton should retire just cos Mayweather beat him. Theres plenty of big fights & big wins still out there for the hitman.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:32 AM   #5
Nemesis
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: nil satis nisi optimum
Posts: 825
vCash: 75
Default Re: Gutted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
Hatton definitely went up in my estimation after last night. I have been slaughtering him on the forums for ages about his brash talking & 'one of the lads' stuff, but last night opened my eyes up a bit. Firstly, when he admitted to the reporter that he was nervous, & had "butterflies" not long before the fight. That was very honest, & it pleasantly suprised me, after all the trash talking in build up. A nice touch, & not something you would see many boxers admit to.
& of course I thought Mayweather would beat him quickly, but Hatton once again suprised me, he took the fight to Mayweather like he promised & gave everything he had, & although exhausted at the end, he wouldnt quit, when Cortez asked him if he wanted to continue. Then after the fight he was even cracking jokes about the manner of his loss, he handled defeat with class.

Then afterwards on SSN there was the owner of Rickys local pub on, & he burst into tears. he was going on about how Rickys always in his pub, & that he would be there again "as usual" next week, & all the regulars would be still right behind him. It was quite emotional stuff to watch to be honest.

Definitely no shame in this loss, in or out of the ring. Hatton should not dwell on this defeat & get back in action as soon as possible, & get a fight with Malignaggi or Rees. Hatton could beat those two on the same night.

Lennox Lewis is mad for saying Hatton should retire just cos Mayweather beat him. Theres plenty of big fights & big wins still out there for the hitman.
who's kidnapped Dunky and put this imposter in his place
Nemesis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:44 AM   #6
RichDam
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 414
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Gutted

Some of the responses on this thread show why this forum is head and shoulders above the idiot filled general forum.
RichDam is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,830
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Gutted

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichDam
Some of the responses on this thread show why this forum is head and shoulders above the idiot filled general forum.

Exactly - thats why this is the only part of the forum I ever post on.

Some of the established posters on the Brit forum are just quality!
elle is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:58 AM   #8
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sunderland
Posts: 2,464
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Gutted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
Hatton definitely went up in my estimation after last night. I have been slaughtering him on the forums for ages about his brash talking & 'one of the lads' stuff, but last night opened my eyes up a bit. Firstly, when he admitted to the reporter that he was nervous, & had "butterflies" not long before the fight. That was very honest, & it pleasantly suprised me, after all the trash talking in build up. A nice touch, & not something you would see many boxers admit to.
& of course I thought Mayweather would beat him quickly, but Hatton once again suprised me, he took the fight to Mayweather like he promised & gave everything he had, & although exhausted at the end, he wouldnt quit, when Cortez asked him if he wanted to continue. Then after the fight he was even cracking jokes about the manner of his loss, he handled defeat with class.

Then afterwards on SSN there was the owner of Rickys local pub on, & he burst into tears. he was going on about how Rickys always in his pub, & that he would be there again "as usual" next week, & all the regulars would be still right behind him. It was quite emotional stuff to watch to be honest.

Definitely no shame in this loss, in or out of the ring. Hatton should not dwell on this defeat & get back in action as soon as possible, & get a fight with Malignaggi or Rees. Hatton could beat those two on the same night.

Lennox Lewis is mad for saying Hatton should retire just cos Mayweather beat him. Theres plenty of big fights & big wins still out there for the hitman.
well dunky i just got the impression hatton wasn't right before the fight when in the ring.looking on it i just think the whole scenario was a little too much for him.to me in the build up he just got immersed in tryting to get inside of floyds head,and went along with all the build up,to play to his fans.i think he would have been better off keeping as low a profile as possible,and stuck to his nice guy routine.it probably wouldn't have made any difference considering the great fighter he was facing but it just might of made him less tense.for the first half of the fight without actually getting many of his punches off he did ok and made life quite diffuicult for floyd.after that superior class told and really no one even the most fervent hatton hugger can have any complaints.the better man won.
ron u.k. is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:13 PM   #9
Nemesis
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: nil satis nisi optimum
Posts: 825
vCash: 75
Default Re: Gutted

Did hatton do any roadwork?

as soon as he was caught in the 10th his legs went from under him
Nemesis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:17 PM   #10
RichDam
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 414
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Gutted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
Did hatton do any roadwork?

as soon as he was caught in the 10th his legs went from under him
I don't think any amount of roadwork would have saved Hatton after he was sent crashing into the ring post by a picture perfect left hook.
RichDam is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:18 PM   #11
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The sooner the safer
Posts: 3,615
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Gutted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
who's kidnapped Dunky and put this imposter in his place
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:27 PM   #12
bumdujour
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: you´re not alive unless you´re almost dying!!
Posts: 1,496
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Gutted

lets see how much of hattons chin is left after this asskicking....
bumdujour is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #13
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,038
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Gutted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
who's kidnapped Dunky and put this imposter in his place
Aye very funny

Its no wind up, so dont worry theres no sting in the tail coming!

Look, Im just being honest. I predicted that Floyd would stop Hatton in the second round, & I honestly meant it. Hatton was moving up in weight, fighting a superfast fighter & I just seen him being tagged again like he was against Magee, being countered off the ropes & I didnt give him a hope. My reckoning was that Floyd is bigger, faster & harder punching than Magee, & Hatton charging in would mean a quick & sorry end for him.
However, Hatton put in a gutsy performance & was competitive, & gave Mayweather a good run for his money. It wasnt the mismatch I envisaged, so I hold my hands up & give Hatton his dues. He proved to me he can hang with the big boys on last nights performance.
& Hatton was also dignified in defeat, even cracking jokes & that IMO showed class.

I may have been on Hattons case here for a long time, & everyone probably thought I would be here gloating. I was happy enough to slag him off here in the past, however I wouldnt be a real man or proper boxing fan if I just said to myself "Hatton impressed me against Mayweather during & after the fight, but **** it Im going to say nothing & give hatton no credit, just to be smug"
I couldnt post here anymore if I was so bitter I couldnt give fighters credit for giving their all & giving us a great fight, which it was.

My opinion of Hatton the fighter has changed for the better, but thats what happens when you watch superfights. They can alter your perspective as they are such emotional events.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:04 PM   #14
Axl_Nose
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 824
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Gutted

I think the only thing you can say on last night is how good Mayweather is, im a fan of Hatton the man, hatton the fighter is not my kind of boxer because its all physical and very little skill but i was shouting support for him .... After last night it was clear that only a top line fighter like Leonard, Duran or Hearns at 147 could take Mayweather, Ricky has done brilliant in getting were he is but can you imagine what would happen against a 1980 Leonard or Duran, its a mismatch .... Can you imagine Joe Calzaghe against a 90s Roy Jones Jr or a Bob Foster, Joe is lucky there aint no Floyd in his division
Axl_Nose is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:11 PM   #15
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,599
vCash: 1075
Default Re: Gutted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
Hatton definitely went up in my estimation after last night. I have been slaughtering him on the forums for ages about his brash talking & 'one of the lads' stuff, but last night opened my eyes up a bit. Firstly, when he admitted to the reporter that he was nervous, & had "butterflies" not long before the fight. That was very honest, & it pleasantly suprised me, after all the trash talking in build up. A nice touch, & not something you would see many boxers admit to.
& of course I thought Mayweather would beat him quickly, but Hatton once again suprised me, he took the fight to Mayweather like he promised & gave everything he had, & although exhausted at the end, he wouldnt quit, when Cortez asked him if he wanted to continue. Then after the fight he was even cracking jokes about the manner of his loss, he handled defeat with class.

Then afterwards on SSN there was the owner of Rickys local pub on, & he burst into tears. he was going on about how Rickys always in his pub, & that he would be there again "as usual" next week, & all the regulars would be still right behind him. It was quite emotional stuff to watch to be honest.

Definitely no shame in this loss, in or out of the ring. Hatton should not dwell on this defeat & get back in action as soon as possible, & get a fight with Malignaggi or Rees. Hatton could beat those two on the same night.

Lennox Lewis is mad for saying Hatton should retire just cos Mayweather beat him. Theres plenty of big fights & big wins still out there for the hitman.
This fight was good for both sides lol you gained respect for hatton and i gained respect and well awe at mayweather lol But still right behind you hatton and good luck in the future!
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013