Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-28-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
One Bomb
mantis style
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Boxing training and strength training - compatible?

Hi I'm currently training for boxing a couple of times a week. I want to incorporate strength training into my routine - something like strength training Monday/Wednesday/Friday and boxing Tuesday/Thursday - but I'm not sure it's wise to do both due to the importance of recovery days while strength training.

Would my body adapt or would you recommend that I take 2 or 3 months off boxing (and more specifically, cardio-intensive workouts) while I work on my strength. I'm leaning towards the latter but I'd be interested to hear from someone who's done both simultaneously.

Thanks.
One Bomb is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2011, 03:02 AM   #2
MrSmall
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxing training and strength training - compatible?

Of course they are compatible.

If you would do MWF Strength and TT boxing, you would be prioritising the strength training, with some boxing as an extra.

The body will adapt to almost anything, and it certainly will to this schedule you are thinking of. After a week or two of initial soreness, you will be fine to box the next day, and probably better off for it.
Don't worry about taking months off of cardio training or boxing working on your strength. You sound like a beginner so even more reason why you would be fine and adapt quickly. You won't be shifting massive weights or doing crazy level of intensity boxing/cardio training, so I say go for them both. If you find its too tiring mentally (it shouldn't be physically if you are young and injury free), then change something up. Initially that's what I found to be the harder part, not the physical side, but the mental "I have to go and train today, again", but you work around that. I've been doing this mix of training for years and come a long way. Another point, make sure you do strength training, not high volume bodybuilding, the recovery is different and the results might not be as beneficial.
I also live in Manchester, so hi mate! Anything else you need, let me know.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Rakim
Captain ****wit

vCash: 6000

You gonna go back to boxing, Smalls?
Rakim is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
Spooner21
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

look up joe defrancos westside for skinny bastards. its a very popular program developed for athletes to mix in with their skill and conditioning training. experienced lifters can use it too, but he designed it more for guys just coming into his gym that are "skinny bastards" lol. but its what i use and ive lifted for years and i still make consistent gains off of it. he took the russian conjugate system that was popularized by westside barbell and louie simmons, toned it down and applied it to athletes rather then powerlifters. you'll be lifting on mon/wed/fri as well. so it should be what you're looking for. its a great program and if you follow it correctly will make fast gains. the only confusing thing about the program if you're just getting into lifting will be some of the exercises. simple youtube and google searches should clear that up.
Spooner21 is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner21 View Post
lsimple youtube and google searches should clear that up.
Joe has a channel on youtube with near enough every lift he prescribes listed and recorded.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
MrSmall
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
You gonna go back to boxing, Smalls?
its inevitable one day!
MrSmall is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing