Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
Joe E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Louis vs. Young. 15 Rds.

Here's one for you Red Cobra. I'll take the Brown Bomber via KO anytime after the 9th.
Joe E is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
joebeadg
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Louis vs. Young. 15 Rds.

Bad news for Joe. Joes not busy enough to beat Young. And he shire enough is not gonna catch him. I love Joe, but Jimmy would have his number.
joebeadg is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
Joe E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebeadg View Post
Bad news for Joe. Joes not busy enough to beat Young. And he shire enough is not gonna catch him. I love Joe, but Jimmy would have his number.
Bad fight actually. Joe would pursue and Young would duck, dodge, run and counter. Making Louis look bad in the process. Jimmys downfall would be his lack of aggression, lack of a punch and his inability to keep Louis off of him.
Joe E is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
DannyL12345
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Louis by KO in 10.
DannyL12345 is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
TartanSoldier
Barnburner.
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Louis catches him somewhere around 8 after a close fight with Joe getting frustrated at times but, Young still taking solid shots.
TartanSoldier is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Hmmmmm..... I love Joe Louis, but he could be out-boxed....

Jimmy Young was boring to me, but slick as whale shit on top of an iceberg....

I've got balls as big as church bells, so I'll be bold and say the '76 version of Young at a trained 209 pounds upsets the 199 pound Joe Louis of 1941 in a 15 rounder via split decision that immediately calls for a rematch by the New York state athletic commission.....

SR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
joebeadg
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Allright mr bill, showing Jimmy some respect, I like it!
joebeadg is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe E View Post
Here's one for you Red Cobra. I'll take the Brown Bomber via KO anytime after the 9th.
..Young makes Louis look foolish, but predictably, cannot beat the judges and loses a decision he should have won. Young would be at his worst against a high volume, swarmer/pressure fighter like Joe Frazier. Young is horribly underrated by those who just plain hate his style, but truth is, he would be a mind-numbingly frustrating opponent for Louis..who wouldn't have been busy enough, and Young would have pulled every trick in the book to bedevil and bewilder Joe....countering in that sneaky manner of his. Young's dedication to defense combined with his excellent chin (I believe it was at least the equal of Tommy Farr's) would take him to the final bell, but alas, it would be heresy to give the nod over the beloved Brown Bomber. This is of course, all predicated on the premise that there would be crooked judges officiating..if they were honest judges by some freak chance, then Young becomes champion. If Young would err, it would be in being too cautious, and not putting an exclamation point on his victory.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #9
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
Hmmmmm..... I love Joe Louis, but he could be out-boxed....

Jimmy Young was boring to me, but slick as whale shit on top of an iceberg....

I've got balls as big as church bells, so I'll be bold and say the '76 version of Young at a trained 209 pounds upsets the 199 pound Joe Louis of 1941 in a 15 rounder via split decision that immediately calls for a rematch by the New York state athletic commission.....

SR.BILL
Damned good call MRBILL...I love Louis as well, but if ever there was a guy who would have frustrated Joe all night long and pulled off an upset, it would be my man Jimmy Young..who was indeed as slick as you say.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2011, 10:27 PM   #10
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

Jimmy Young seems to have all the tools and skills to upset Louis for sure. to me its a question to whether he WOULD do it
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #11
DannyL12345
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Remember guys, this isn't the mythical Young that has a record of 200-0 (0 KOs) in fantasy match ups. This is the real Young
DannyL12345 is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2011, 10:41 PM   #12
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL12345 View Post
Remember guys, this isn't the mythical Young that has a record of 200-0 (0 KOs) in fantasy match ups. This is the real Young
Well remember this also, Louis always had struggles with slick boxers like young, so Young at least having some success isn't out of the question.
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #13
BUDW
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Louis by KO about 7-8 rds
BUDW is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2011, 12:10 AM   #14
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Blackburn would need to focus Louis on the body, exposing his head to Young's counters, but I don't think Jimmy had anything to seriously hurt Joe with.

Remaining busy enough to win a decision could be a problem, as the Bomber didn't usually pull the trigger unless he had an accurate shot. Young's defensive elusiveness could put Louis into an offensive shell.

However, if Joe hurt Jimmy the way Foreman did at the outset of round seven in San Juan, Louis likely gets him outta there. Young was very candid with Cosell immediately after beating George that he was on the brink of defeat at that point. Joe was a far more efficient finisher than Foreman, and he wouldn't gas like George. We also mustn't forget that Louis himself was a perfectly competent boxer who decisioned Pastor and Bivins, and competitive with Walcott in the rounds where he wasn't floored.

Young's toughness and durability could be critical here. I think Blackburn would opt to have Joe aggressive pound Jimmy's sides in a bid to take the decision, with a stoppage as a desirable side effect of this approach.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2011, 12:16 AM   #15
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

C'mon here lads, its joe louis we're talking here. Maybe jimmy on his best night and a 'seen better days' louis could be argued reasonably, but both in their prime theres only 1 winner, and lets be honest, it aint jimmy
johnmaff36 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum