Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
BENNY BLANCO
R.I.P. Brooklyn1550
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default As time goes on I rate Floyd's win over JMM higher.........

I can't exactly explain why but for some reason I tend to rate Mayweather's win over Juan Marquez higher,maybe it has to do with me watching both of Marquez's fights with Pacquiao last week......Not that I ever completely disregarded Floyd's win but I was one of those people who knocked him for not getting the knockout win but in reality that would have not made Floyd looked good in terms of credibility cause it would have been seen as a "big man" bullying a "little man".

Floyd outclassing Marquez with sheer and superior boxing skills was the right thing to do in hindsight cause even with the weight issues and controversy going into the fight,Floyd outclassed Marquez so easily that one would have to be hard pressed to see it being any different even if they fought in a pound for pound sense at 135.

Now that time has passed how do you feel about this win,does the weight issues hang over your head that much?....or has become a moot point as time has gone on?
BENNY BLANCO is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
Zopilote
Dinamita
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: As time goes on I rate Floyd's win over JMM higher.........

Stylewise, Floyd would always be a nightmare for JMM. But with JMM fighting above 135lbs for the first time, and 7 lbs above that with no tune up and against someone like Floyd, it was pretty much certain that he would get beat the way he did..JMM had absloutely NO advatange going into that fight. Floyd would always beat Juan, at 130lbs, 135lbs you name it, but i am quite sure it wouldnt be as one sided as it was in their encounter IMO.
Zopilote is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
BatTheMan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

JMM was a fat LW forced by Floyd to move up 2 divisions and even then Floyd cheated on the scales. This is a BS win. Still.
BatTheMan is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

It's a meaningless, worthless win. It's like Pacquiao beating Humberto Soto or Mosley beating Nate Campbell would have been in '09, means nothing. A guy who had been at welterweight for 5 years vs a guy who was at superfeatherweight the year before. Come off it.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

you know the rules.. Floyd gets no credit.. Shit he don't even get credit for ortiz and he did not even win yet.. Meanwhile pac is fighting marquez and will get all the credit for whatever.
Toopretty is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP

so is pac's fight worthless?
Toopretty is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatTheMan View Post
JMM was a fat LW forced by Floyd to move up 2 divisions and even then Floyd cheated on the scales. This is a BS win. Still.
Whats the difference between this and Floyd going up fight De La Hoya at his weight?

The size difference was the same. If anything De La Hoya had a bigger weight advantage.

Floyds win was impressive.
irishny is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
Samski313
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zopilote View Post
Stylewise, Floyd would always be a nightmare for JMM. But with JMM fighting above 135lbs for the first time, and 7 lbs above that with no tune up and against someone like Floyd, it was pretty much certain that he would get beat the way he did..JMM had absloutely NO advatange going into that fight. Floyd would always beat Juan, at 130lbs, 135lbs you name it, but i am quite sure it wouldnt be as one sided as it was in their encounter IMO.
See this is where i disagree with you. I could see if Floyd pushed him around the ring, backed him into the corner, or muscled him around because he was bigger. NO Floyd simply outboxed him and beat him in the middle of the ring with skills not bullying tactics.
Samski313 is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
BENNY BLANCO
R.I.P. Brooklyn1550
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
It's a meaningless, worthless win. It's like Pacquiao beating Humberto Soto or Mosley beating Nate Campbell would have been in '09, means nothing. A guy who had been at welterweight for 5 years vs a guy who was at superfeatherweight the year before. Come off it.
But given how the fight went, in a fantasy world where they meet up at an equal weight such as 130 or 135 where they both fought at, could you really see things being any different?.....I mean could you really see Marquez troubling Floyd at any time?

Even with the weight issues going in the fight, Floyd showed to me at least that things would be no different. In fact one can make the case that the 130/35 pound Floyd would have had an easier time with the 130/35 pound Marquez given that Floyd was quicker and more powerful with his punches at those respective weight classes.
BENNY BLANCO is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
Zopilote
Dinamita
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishny View Post
Whats the difference between this and Floyd going up fight De La Hoya at his weight?

The size difference was the same. If anything De La Hoya had a bigger weight advantage.

Floyds win was impressive.

For starters, Floyd didnt skip 2 weight divisions like JMM did. Floyd wasnt exactly at a style disadvantage here, plus Floyd was quite comfortable at 147lbs, while JMM was already in decline at 135lbs..then he jumped up two more divisions.
Zopilote is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #11
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

Pacquiao and Mayweather beating Marquez = a win over an average welterweight = no real legacy points
JMP is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #12
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

The weight disparity between the two wasn't as bad as I initially thought, but at the same time, JMM didn't know that and he prepared wrong for it. So yeah, that does take a shine off that win by quite a margin.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #13
Zopilote
Dinamita
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samski313 View Post
See this is where i disagree with you. I could see if Floyd pushed him around the ring, backed him into the corner, or muscled him around because he was bigger. NO Floyd simply outboxed him and beat him in the middle of the ring with skills not bullying tactics.

JMM was fat, and slow as shit...there wasnt much he could do. Not saying JMM would ever beat Floyd or anything, but at his best weight, Juan would of given him a better fight.
Zopilote is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #14
Zopilote
Dinamita
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENNY BLANCO View Post
But given how the fight went, in a fantasy world where they meet up at an equal weight such as 130 or 135 where they both fought at, could you really see things being any different?.....I mean could you really see Marquez troubling Floyd at any time?

Even with the weight issues going in the fight, Floyd showed to me at least that things would be no different. In fact one can make the case that the 130/35 pound Floyd would have had an easier time with the 130/35 pound Marquez given that Floyd was quicker and more powerful with his punches at those respective weight classes.

and JMM would also be faster, and more powerful with his punches. He would definetly given Floyd a better fight.
Zopilote is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2011, 01:26 PM   #15
Montero
Left Hook from HELL!!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zopilote View Post
Stylewise, Floyd would always be a nightmare for JMM. But with JMM fighting above 135lbs for the first time, and 7 lbs above that with no tune up and against someone like Floyd, it was pretty much certain that he would get beat the way he did..JMM had absloutely NO advatange going into that fight.
This.

People forget that JMM's wars with Pac were at 126 and 130; and Pac was definitely drained in that second bout. Those fights were made on even terms between the two, neither carried any distinct advantage.

Mayweather made Marquez move up two divisions (he has not fought ONCE above 135 at that point mind you), come to his backyard, his judges, his ref, his ring, all the little things - even the promised catchweight didn't happen. All of that coupled with the fact that Floyd couldn't get him outta there DOES taint the victory somewhat.

It's a good win because of the name and the dominance, but I wouldn't put it in Floyd's top five career wins.
Montero is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum