Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-15-2014, 01:51 AM   #1
technocrato
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 400
Default Bute - Pascal is a "A" grade fight

And it doesn't seem to bring much attention. Bute was concidered for while as the top gun at 168, Pascal gave a great fight to Froch at an early. He was the first one to exposed Bad Glass Jawson. Those two fighter are like the two rooster in the same place which were separated and finaly put together to see who is the best. Regardless of what people predict it could go one way or they other.

Bute by UD or knock out (liver shot).
technocrato is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2014, 05:09 AM   #2
Contele_Dracula
Journeyman

vCash: 75
Default Re: Bute - Pascal is a "A" grade fight

Looking at the audience, money and ambitions involved in this fight, yes, could be considered A grade.
But looking at the both fighters last fights is more a B or B+ fight.
Anyway it is a big interest around and I hope Bute will win.
Bet already all my Vcash on Bute...
Contele_Dracula is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2014, 05:35 AM   #3
Robney
ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ
East Side VIP

vCash: 3208

War

Really like this fight. Think about the significance alone if Bute wins it.
Robney is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2014, 05:39 AM   #4
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robney View Post
War

Honestly, I like the fight and think it will be a good one to watch.

But in terms of significance, this fight has shockingly very little considering how it was viewed 2 years ago. Aside from Canada's number two and three fighters fighting, neither having scored a relevant victory in two years, there isn't much going on here.
Nonito Smoak is online now  Top
Old 01-15-2014, 05:42 AM   #5
TinFoilHat
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonito Smoak View Post
Honestly, I like the fight and think it will be a good one to watch.

But in terms of significance, this fight has shockingly very little considering how it was viewed 2 years ago. Aside from Canada's number two and three fighters fighting, neither having scored a relevant victory in two years, there isn't much going on here.

Yes, if this fight took place in 2010 it would be very signifcant. But now with Bute moved up in weight, a loss to Froch and Pascal might as well have not fought in a few years (his opposition has been much lesser than championship caliber)...

Anyone know who these guys are promoted by?
TinFoilHat is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2014, 05:44 AM   #6
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinFoilHat View Post

Yes, if this fight took place in 2010 it would be very signifcant. But now with Bute moved up in weight, a loss to Froch and Pascal might as well have not fought in a few years (his opposition has been much lesser than championship caliber)...

Anyone know who these guys are promoted by?
Yvon Michael promotes Pascal

InterBox promotes Bute

...90% sure.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:45 AM   #7
Koba
Master Baiter
ESB Addict

vCash: 933

Neither fighter is considered the hot property they once were, which is possibly why there isn't as much heated forum debate, but it is a big fight (or perhaps a big 'event').

To the casual fans (especially in Canada) both are big, well established names, and this is a fight that has kinda been building for a coupla years now - in fact even 6 or 7 months ago this would have been considered one of the fights at 175, with perhaps only Dawson - Cloud being bigger.

In that short space of time of course the LHW landscape has changed dramatically - had Stevenson and Kovalev not burst onto the scene last year, this fight would have been considered a really big deal.
Koba is online now  Top
Old 01-15-2014, 05:49 AM   #8
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koba View Post
Neither fighter is considered the hot property they once were, which is possibly why there isn't as much heated forum debate, but it is a big fight (or perhaps a big 'event').

To the casual fans (especially in Canada) both are big, well established names, and this is a fight that has kinda been building for a coupla years now - in fact even 6 or 7 months ago this would have been considered one of the fights at 175, with perhaps only Dawson - Cloud being bigger.

In that short space of time of course the LHW landscape has changed dramatically - had Stevenson and Kovalev not burst onto the scene last year, this fight would have been considered a really big deal.
Nah

Bute looked horrible in his one fight since Froch TKO and above SMW against Grachev... Hasn't fought since.

Pascal looked pretty bad against Hopkins both fights. He looked decent in his decision comeback after long inactivity. He enters the Bute fight with long inactivity. Pascal dropped out of the rankings from inactivity at least once.

You'd have to go back further than 6-7 months for this to have been a big deal. You'd have to go back probably like 15 months, honestly. You could easily make the argument for a legit almost 2 years.

Neither fighter had interest in sharing a boxing card in co-mains to further build up the relevance of their fight either, I guess.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:20 AM   #9
FilipMNE
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robney View Post
War

If Bute wins every deluded fan of his will resurface they will talk again that he is best, but its all good if he wins Kovalev will KTFO him thats 100% sure. But this is good fight Pascal can fight for only half of the fight so if Bute survives he has a shot, and big thing is Butes defense we will see did he make adjustment because he could not defend right hand to save his life (when he stepped up)
FilipMNE is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2014, 06:27 AM   #10
Koba
Master Baiter
ESB Addict

vCash: 933

Quote:
Nah

Bute looked horrible in his one fight since Froch TKO and above SMW against Grachev... Hasn't fought since.

Pascal looked pretty bad against Hopkins both fights. He looked decent in his decision comeback after long inactivity. He enters the Bute fight with long inactivity. Pascal dropped out of the rankings from inactivity at least once.

You'd have to go back further than 6-7 months for this to have been a big deal. You'd have to go back probably like 15 months, honestly. You could easily make the argument for a legit almost 2 years.

Neither fighter had interest in sharing a boxing card in co-mains to further build up the relevance of their fight either, I guess.
I hear what you're saying, and I agree for the most part - both guys have largely lost relevance or been eclipsed due to losses and inactivity, but there was still the perception of both as big names in the sport until quite recently.

Had the fight gone off on the original date of May 25 (2013) it would have been seen as a much bigger deal. Not only that it was also seen as a potential springboard for the winner at the time - now it's hard to see either regaining anything like their former status.

The TBRB Rankings for 14.5.13 have Pascal at #2 (behind Hopkins and Dawson) and Bute at #3 (behind Ward, Froch and Kessler) - looking back this seems faintly ridiculous, but that reflected how things were seen by many at the time.
Koba is online now  Top
Old 01-15-2014, 06:36 AM   #11
Robney
ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ
East Side VIP

vCash: 3208

Quote:
I mean more like triangle significance.

I'm reading a lot of "Froch mauled Bute, Pascal vs Froch was competitive and Pascal can punch, so Pascal stops Bute" predictions, forgetting about other significant trades and circumstances.
I myself made that mistake with the Bute vs Froch fight, comparing their fights with Johnson only a couple of months apart in wich Carl had all kinds of trouble while Bute completely dominated him. Completely ignoring both fighters strengths and weaknesses and the fact it was Bute's first big fight in the lion's den, wich we now know made him act like a deer in the headlights while facing his best opponent to date.
Robney is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2014, 06:46 AM   #12
TinFoilHat
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 767

I've made up my mind. I think Pascal takes this one.

I just can't put any faith in Bute. He has only been in the ring 2x in 25 months. He looked bad in both of his last two outings.

Pascal also inactive for a very long time, but he has had 2 fights in the past 13 months... Which is an acceptable amount of activity. He fought only a few months ago. I think Bute will retire after this fight. I know yall rip on "Bad Glass Jawson" but the truth is Dawson was decent, just had a sub par chin. Dawson was better than Bute in almost every other way IMO. Also this fight is at LHW, where Bute has not been yet, Jean is naturally much bigger and I think he may even have the speed advantage at this point.

I could see something happening where Pascal gets gassed or Bute gets in there and its apparent he is faster from the get go.(its hard to tell who has faster hands sometimes until they are right next to each other.) IMO though he is looking for one more payday before he goes out.
TinFoilHat is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2014, 06:57 AM   #13
Barrera
Cotto Crabwalk Enthusiast
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

my trainer is part of blake caparellos team and went with him to vegas as part of pascals camp (caparello was a sparring partner for pascal). so i have alot of interest in this fight.. been told to bet all my money on pascal..
Barrera is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2014, 07:04 AM   #14
Maxime
Sweet Science
ESB Addict

vCash: 171

They sold +19,000 tickets so far.
Maxime is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2014, 10:03 AM   #15
HoldMyBeer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I wouldn't call bute 'a grade' just because he was once hyped and had 'a belt'
if he was a grade he wouldn't have been pulverized by froch, who has never been best in the division
HoldMyBeer is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum