boxing

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Twitter MMA Facebook Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-13-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
Willie Maeket
OBEY! Big Brother sees U!
ESB Addict

vCash: 858
Unhappy Kovalev Fought 18 Times for Free, Had to Pay Opponents More Just To Fight Him.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Damn shame. The man just really started making money from boxing. No wonder he is frustrated, he didn't make any money until he fought Darnell Boone the 2nd time.

Meanwhile his opponent Pascal was fresh off a Dawson fight and 2 Hopkins fights at home for millions. Then Pascal made another 1.5 million after taxes fighting and retiring Aleksy Kuziemski.

Some of you so called fans better start attending his fights he just started making the money that Adrien Broner flushes down the ****ing toilet.
Willie Maeket is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2015, 06:45 PM   #2
eltirado
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Kovalev Fought 18 Times for Free, Had to Pay Opponents More Just To Fight Him.

Kovalev seems to enjoy harming people, he should pay them much more...The awkwardness Stiff power Kovalev sent down the spine of Stevenson the moment they met...Adonis knew he was in the ***** seat right away
eltirado is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2015, 06:47 PM   #3
Mike1978
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Kovalev Fought 18 Times for Free, Had to Pay Opponents More Just To Fight Him.

Some boxers take a long time until they start making money, Winky Wright, Sergio Martinez, Bernard Hopkins are boxers that fought a long time before making serious money.
Mike1978 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
Serge
NOSFERATU
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1978 View Post
Some boxers take a long time until they start making money, Winky Wright, Sergio Martinez, Bernard Hopkins are boxers that fought a long time before making serious money.
He wasn't making any money at all for 3 whole years (18 fights) of his career and then in his first fight when he actually did make some (Boone II) he donated a large chunk of his purse to the family of Roman Simakov who tragically died in Sergey's previous fight.
Serge is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2015, 07:08 PM   #5
lewis gassed
A-side poster
East Side Guru

vCash: 420

Well I certainly don't blame him for fighting Pascal again, it's the most money he can make with a non-Haymon opponent.
lewis gassed is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2015, 07:08 PM   #6
Dubblechin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think Kathy Duva is a terrible promoter. If Don King was promoting him, they'd be calling for King's head and would be claiming King was robbing him.

I don't know why people don't go after Kathy Duva the same way.

There was an article about his purse from the Hopkins fight. He said he was supposed to make $500,000, but they told him he had to pay 50% in taxes (on the half million) and also pay his team. And he was left with $125,000.

First, he should be paying his team first, before taxes. Otherwise, he's paying their taxes. Because he's not earning $500,000 ... his income is what's left after he pays his team.

And he shouldn't be paying 50% taxes on what's left ($300,000 or so). He should be paying 30-something percent ... and he can put money into a retirement account and not pay taxes on that until he uses it.

That's just common knowledge.

On top of all that, he should be making a helluva lot more than a half-million to fight Hopkins on HBO.

Broner's making a couple million to fight Shawn Porter on NBC.

Duva is terrible. Kovalev needs to bolt from her and get with Hearn or Haymon or anyone that can make him some money and not rob him blind - like she seems to be doing.

And how much is HBO paying Duva for Kovalev ... if she's only giving him $500,000? Because she gets her money from them and then she stages the fights off what they hand her. She doesn't spend her own money to put on cards.

What are they giving her, compared to what she's giving him?

I get the feeling Kovalev is getting robbed. She's stealing from the immigrant.

Nobody ever writes any expose's on her.

Tim Witherspoon said he was supposed to get $500,000 for the Bruno fight, and he only got $90,000. And BOOKS were written on it. If you were supposed to get $500,000, and you only get $100,000 ... (like Kovalev did for Hopkins) ... that's not a whole helluva lot different than the Spoon-Bruno situation.
Dubblechin is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2015, 07:16 PM   #7
Mike1978
Contender
ESB Senior Member

When people see boxers purses they don't understand how little of the purse they actually get. A manager takes a cut, trainer, cutman, taxes and other expenses. I remember someone saying you are luck if you see 40-50 percent of your actual purse.
Mike1978 is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2015, 07:17 PM   #8
Dubblechin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1978 View Post
When people see boxers purses they don't understand how little of the purse they actually get. A manager takes a cut, trainer, cutman, taxes and other expenses. I remember someone saying you are luck if you see 40-50 percent of your actual purse.
You should see more than 25% of it ... or your team is taking too much.
Dubblechin is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #9
Willie Maeket
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubblechin View Post
I think Kathy Duva is a terrible promoter. If Don King was promoting him, they'd be calling for King's head and would be claiming King was robbing him.

There was an article about his purse from the Hopkins fight. He said he was supposed to make $500,000, but they told him he had to pay 50% in taxes (on the half million) and also pay his team. And he was left with $125,000.

First, he should be paying his team first, before taxes. Otherwise, he's paying their taxes. Because he's not earning $500,000 ... his income is what's left after he pays his team.

And he shouldn't be paying 50% taxes on what's left ($300,000 or so). He should be paying 30-something percent ... and he can put money into a retirement account and not pay taxes on that until he uses it.

On top of all that, he should be making a helluva lot more than a half-million to fight Hopkins on HBO.

Duva is terrible. Kovalev needs to bolt from her and get with Hearn or Haymon or anyone that can make him some money and not rob him blind - like she seems to be doing.

And how much is HBO paying Duva for Kovalev ... if she's only giving him $500,000? Because she gets her money from them and then she stages the fights off what they hand her. She doesn't spend her own money to put on cards.

Tim Witherspoon said he was supposed to get $500,000 for the Bruno fight, and he only got $90,000. And BOOKS were written on it. If you were supposed to get $500,000, and you only get $100,000 ... (like Kovalev did for Hopkins) ... that's not a whole helluva lot different than the Spoon-Bruno situation.

You are absloutely right.
Subconscious double standards. Arum was ripping people off and covering up ODLH's dirt, but never gets people fired up as much as a man that never talks on camera does. How is this so?
Old 12-13-2015, 07:35 PM   #10
PolishNavy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubblechin View Post

Those are serious accusations. If true, she should be investigated. It wasn't that long ago Adamek kept her in business. Adamek paid his dues fighting over 50 times never ducking anyone. I wonder how much Adamek received from his career biggest 3 million dollar purse from the Vitali fight. Seeing Adamek come back to fight a way past his prime non contender Saleta in Poland may be a clue that he needed some money. This is sad for these guys who put their life on the line every time they step between the ropes. Your a valuable poster on this forum Dubblechin. Thanks for opening my eyes.
PolishNavy is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2015, 07:46 PM   #11
Mike1978
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Yes I believe that Adamek really did not make that much from the Arreola fight and that was a great win in my opinion.
Mike1978 is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2015, 07:46 PM   #12
Willie Maeket
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishNavy View Post
Those are serious accusations. If true, she should be investigated. It wasn't that long ago Adamek kept her in business. Adamek paid his dues fighting over 50 times never ducking anyone. I wonder how much Adamek received from his career biggest 3 million dollar purse from the Vitali fight. Seeing Adamek come back to fight a way past his prime non contender Saleta in Poland may be a clue that he needed some money. This is sad for these guys who put their life on the line every time they step between the ropes. Your a valuable poster on this forum Dubblechin. Thanks for opening my eyes.
That puts all that "Haymon over paying fighters" **** in perspective when we step out of our roles as fans and actually look at the business. That money that fighters don't get is major.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:49 PM   #13
PolishNavy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Maeket View Post
That puts all that "Haymon over paying fighters" **** in perspective when we step out of our roles as fans and actually look at the business. That money that fighters don't get is major.

It sure does put it in perspective. Good topic that needs to be addressed. Thanks Willie Maeket.
PolishNavy is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #14
OvidsExile
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 533

I don't roll tears for millionaires.
OvidsExile is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2015, 08:01 PM   #15
UniversalPart
Belt holder
ESB Addict

BHop gave great advice

Get a good accountant

Get a good lawyer
UniversalPart is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum