Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 07-08-2007, 11:06 AM   #1
Smith
Monzon-like
ESB Addict

vCash: 484
Default UFC 73 - Good, not great.

Some observations from my viewpoint
  • Nog-Herring - Debatable whether it should have benn stopped, BUT, the referee was proved right when Nog went on to win the fight, so all in all a good performance by the referee. Nog was by far superior despite the blip, great fight.
  • Sherk-Franca - Another good fight that only the purists can respect. I had fun watching it, although im pretty miffed Sherk got the decision. If that same fight was in Pride Sherk would have been pulled off and Franca would have finished him, but Sherk does have a hell of a chin, he's not the great fighter Dana thinks he is, no way. Feed him to Joachim Hansen or Aoki and it would end his reign.
  • Rashad-Tito - Not much to say, thought it would be a classic, ended up being forgettable. The right decison in the end, but..... One thing that bothers me is why Tito gets hate, man, he is exactly the type of character the sport needs. Some people dislike his brash manner, but mistake it for arrogance. He is arrogant, but he himself knows he's taking the piss, good guy. Rashad lokked TOO small.Anyone know if he could fight at middle?
  • Nate-Silva - Nate dissapointed, Silva is clearly the better fighter, end of.
Now on to these mother ****ers that call themselves fans, im embarressed by their reactions to the fights, constant booing. I see in the discussion thread the yanks are ashamed of them as well, good . TAKE NOTE THE PEOPLE WHO SAY WHY SOME PEOPLE ARE CRYING OVER THE LOSS OF PRIDE - THATS WHY!!!. The us fans should not be given the privelage of watching these fighters, man i see it now, they will ****ing boo Fedor for subbing their fighter in ten seconds.

Anyway........
Smith is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
Dostoevsky
Hardcore......to the max!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: UFC 73 - Good, not great.

I'd like to see Henderson/Silva fight.
Dostoevsky is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
Tko4
Left high kick
ESB Addict

The first fight was great. Sherk's fight was interesting for a couple rounds, but then he never did anything different. You can only watch him make the same great position changes so many times. After awhile, you knew he wasn't going to finish the fight, despite the changes. It just became a matter of him outwrestling Franca. As for Tito and Rashad...it was just sad. And Silva did what he had to do, but it wasn't a great fight.

I give it a 4 out of 10.

Last edited by bowhunter830; 02-23-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Tko4 is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
Tko4
Left high kick
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke
I'd like to see Henderson/Silva fight.
That would be a great fight. Good style matchup.
Tko4 is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
Smith
Monzon-like
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tko4
The first fight was great. Sherk's fight was interesting for a couple rounds, but then he never did anything different. You can only watch him make the same great position changes so many times. After awhile, you knew he wasn't going to finish the fight, despite the changes. It just became a matter of him outwrestling Franca. As for Tito and Rashad...it was just sad. And Silva did what he had to do, but it wasn't a great fight.

I give it a 4 out of 10.
Smith is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1493

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydsmith
Some observations from my viewpoint
  • Sherk-Franca - Another good fight that only the purists can respect. I had fun watching it, although im pretty miffed Sherk got the decision. If that same fight was in Pride Sherk would have been pulled off and Franca would have finished him, but Sherk does have a hell of a chin, he's not the great fighter Dana thinks he is, no way. Feed him to Joachim Hansen or Aoki and it would end his reign.
You have got to be ****ing kidding, he dominated that fight.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2007, 03:39 PM   #7
Donut62
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydsmith[LIST
[*]Sherk-Franca - Another good fight that only the purists can respect. I had fun watching it, although im pretty miffed Sherk got the decision. If that same fight was in Pride Sherk would have been pulled off and Franca would have finished him, but Sherk does have a hell of a chin, he's not the great fighter Dana thinks he is, no way. Feed him to Joachim Hansen or Aoki and it would end his reign.[/list]
You do know that Sherk is the big white guy from Minnesota without his hair dyed, right?
Donut62 is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #8
Smith
Monzon-like
ESB Addict

Yeh i do know that, but the way i see it is i give points to fighters who get power hits, **** Sherks ground control.
Smith is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2007, 05:33 PM   #9
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yeh i do know that, but the way i see it is i give points to fighters who get power hits, **** Sherks ground control.
Sherk is essentially another Matt Hughes.great wrestler with insane strength and great ground control but that is pretty much it.He`ll dominate most guys at 55.but my money would not be on him if he and Gomi ever fought.As for Tito the guy has been overrated for years.His nothing more than a half way house who struggles with TUF guys.His striking is poor unless its from the mount his submissions are sub standard and his famed wrestling is nothing more than decent ground control when his on top.Stick a fork in Tito the guy is done.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2007, 05:37 PM   #10
Nuke
Full Length Member
ESB Addict

Quote:

Watch boxing if you only score power punches. Hermes just hide in a ball the whole fight what was a wrestler gonna do with him? It looked like a pitbull trying to bite a turtle.
Nuke is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2007, 08:49 PM   #11
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1493

Quote:
You honestly thought Hermes won that fight, honestly? He didn't even think he won.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2007, 09:11 PM   #12
theunderdog
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 166

seriuosly, anything would look good compared to 72. that thing was a mess
theunderdog is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2007, 09:20 PM   #13
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tko4
I give it a 4 out of 10.
Hell man that's a wee bit harsh, maybe 6/10 would be fairer. I always enjoy watching Silva no matter how great the fight is 'cos the man has some great skills.
Doppleganger is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2007, 09:52 PM   #14
Nuke
Full Length Member
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
Hell man that's a wee bit harsh, maybe 6/10 would be fairer. I always enjoy watching Silva no matter how great the fight is 'cos the man has some great skills.

He didn't have to do much to beat Nate, that was fairly easy and didn't create much excitement (atleast not for me).

Last edited by left,right; 02-25-2006 at 09:02 PM.
Nuke is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum