Old 09-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #16
Ovee
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default Re: Serious life question

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk47 View Post
You forgot about TALENT!
talent can be made if you put enough hours into it.
Ovee is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #17
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovee View Post
talent can be made if you put enough hours into it.
No, you're born with talent. You can work your **** of as much as you want, and that may get you further than more naturally gifted boxers who don't train as hard, but eventually you'll get to guys as hungry as you but with a lot more natural ability (if you don't have it). There is just no way around that, and to do what you're saying means you sacrifice everything else and may screw your life up. While I think you need to take risks to get anywhere in life, everyone needs to have a realistic, unbiased self assessment to set themselves up in life and support their family. Btw, this has nothing to do with the OP as I've no idea how good he is!
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #18
Libertiner

vCash: 500

Quote:
No, you're born with talent. You can work your **** of as much as you want, and that may get you further than more naturally gifted boxers who don't train as hard, but eventually you'll get to guys as hungry as you but with a lot more natural ability (if you don't have it). There is just no way around that, and to do what you're saying means you sacrifice everything else and may screw your life up. While I think you need to take risks to get anywhere in life, everyone needs to have a realistic, unbiased self assessment to set themselves up in life and support their family. Btw, this has nothing to do with the OP as I've no idea how good he is!
I don't agree on that one - i also believe that talent is something you can gain if you work hard at it. Of course some people have more natural ability then others, for example if your are born into a family with a lot of athletes, it would probably be naturally easier for you to pick up a sport like boxing. If we were talking about tennis for example, where technique is playing the lead-role, I may agree with you, but in boxing there are so many other factors who are just as important as technique In my experience maybe physical condition for example plays a bigger part, in the amateurs especially. Everybody can get in great shape. Then there is the mental part - gain confidence, learn to believe in yourself, get that "killer-instict" when you are in the ring, etc. When you truly master the mental aspect of the game, i believe that will take you further then any natural "touch for the game". And boxing skills is something you can build up. That's my opinion anyway

Cheers!
Libertiner is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #19
Eitherside

vCash:

BORKED
Old 09-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #20
Flexe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 350

If you believe in yourself - you can do it. I am one to believe sky is the limit if you really want it. If you are passionate about something, you will get there.

The world is yours, now what you waiting for?

- Whether you think you can or think you can't - you are right
- Success comes in cans, not cant's.
Flexe is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #21
Flexe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 350

Quote:
If you are willing to push the boundaries to hit the high almighty - you can do anything. If someone wants it more than you - they'll win.

You can develop talent. The more you do something, the better you get at it. I'm a firm believer that success is those is made by those that are passionate and willing to put hours of work in.

- Character is more important than talent.
Flexe is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #22
E30
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Godspeed. I'm in a similar boat, and am ready to give it my all. I refuse to be an old man looking back at what could have been.
E30 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing