Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 12-12-2007, 12:52 PM   #16
Big Ears
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: Is Khan-Katsidis a possibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akxtinguish
Sorry, I don't know why I typed Ruiz, I was referring to Juan Diaz.

Interesting. Isn't it unusual then that Earl got a shot at Katsidis, or does it come down to experience?
Earl was given a shot as ****** had nothing to lose and everything to gain with Earl . He knew Earl was the type of guy that could lose tp a domestic level guy(like Hugo Ramirez) at any time but despite that he'd still be able to get him a title shot(surprisingly the WBA turned him down for M'Baye but agreed Rees as a challenger) and that the worse that could happen against someone like Katsidis is he gets an exciting fight and Earl loses as expected .
Big Ears is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2007, 12:55 PM   #17
UndisputedUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ears
Earl was given a shot as ****** had nothing to lose and everything to gain with Earl . He knew Earl was the type of guy that could lose tp a domestic level guy(like Hugo Ramirez) at any time but despite that he'd still be able to get him a title shot(surprisingly the WBA turned him down for M'Baye but agreed Rees as a challenger) and that the worse that could happen against someone like Katsidis is he gets an exciting fight and Earl loses as expected .
Katsidis ruined Earl in a very exciting fight. Did Katsidis last opponent suffer some damage too?

The best fight for Khan is Rees at the moment!!! This has got to be made soon. Why is Rees sitting on that WBA belt?
UndisputedUK is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2007, 01:13 PM   #18
Big Ears
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndisputedUK
Katsidis ruined Earl in a very exciting fight. Did Katsidis last opponent suffer some damage too?

The best fight for Khan is Rees at the moment!!! This has got to be made soon. Why is Rees sitting on that WBA belt?
Amonsot did suffer some damage around the brain/skull area , it was originally thought he'd never be able to fight again but it looks like he may be able to fight on now .

The Rees fight doesn't make sense as it needlessly forces him up in weight when at the moment he doesn't need to move up . Fighting Rees could also trap him into same dangerous fights should he win . Kotelnik is mandatory currently and the #2 is Argentinian banger Marcos Maidana(21 wins 20 ko's) .

Other than that there is plenty of voluntary defences I'd fancy Khan to win with the WBA's current rankings .

Since Khan is on national tv though someone might eventually notice that Britain has another champion in the division and pressure may be put on Khan to fight him . While ****** wouldn't want to allow that young Amir is ambiteous .

A better route would be to take on Jon Thaxton for the British Lightweight title and then Yuri Romanov for the European .

Infact since Khan is fighting so soon I think a fight against Lee Meager or Dave Stewart before Thaxton would be acceptable .

Meager , Thaxton , Murray , Romanov , Melero Diaz , Robbie Peden , Edner Cherry

Is the course I'd like to see Khan take over the next 2 years , after that he should either look for a World title fight or step up in weight(if he must) .

Of course that is all easy to say with the way things are currently , most of those 7 fighters will have important fights before a time comes to face Khan and could very well lose .
Big Ears is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2007, 01:40 PM   #19
Akxtinguish
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Infact since Khan is fighting so soon I think a fight against Lee Meager or Dave Stewart before Thaxton would be acceptable .

Meager , Thaxton , Murray , Romanov , Melero Diaz , Robbie Peden , Edner Cherry

Is the course I'd like to see Khan take over the next 2 years , after that he should either look for a World title fight or step up in weight(if he must) .
How about throwing in Lee McAllister for the belt?
Akxtinguish is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2007, 02:16 PM   #20
Big Ears
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
How about throwing in Lee McAllister for the belt?
Which belt ?(if the answer is WBU I don't want to hear it) , McAllister has a very padded record and the only notable name(sorry Jeff ) on his record is Craig Docherty who is meant to be very badly faded and a shadow of his former self .

He'd be much weaker than anyone on the list I gave . However if Khan was to fight McAllister in February I would be just about okay with it(although a little disappointed) , if he were to face Thaxton in 2/3 months .
Big Ears is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2007, 04:05 AM   #21
hook
Journeyman

One thing that might be in Khans favour though is that Katsidis appears to be very, very easy to hit.
hook is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2007, 04:18 AM   #22
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

Robbie Peden is retired & wont be fighting anymore, after he got decimated by Filipino Ranee Ganoy.
Katsidis & Ganoy both KO Khan at this moment.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2007, 06:36 AM   #23
Raashid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Presumably we'll have to wait to see what Katsidis has left after his scheduled bout with Diaz? If that fight takes a lot out of him, then ****** may see Katsidis as a dangerous "name" for Khan.
Incidentally, does anyone know what Khan's views on fighting for "real" world titles is? Hetalks of fighting for a world title and all his ambitions, but I've yet to hear him mention that the best fighters at lightweight are the likes of Diaz.
Is he going to make the mistake Hamed made and just be satisfied being a star in the UK, whilst olding something like the WBU title?
Raashid is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2007, 06:40 AM   #24
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Khan has alot of pride and really believes in himself.I doubt he`ll go down the WBU route.Right now his the best thing that ****** has left and ****** will do whatever it takes to keep his cash cow.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2007, 07:14 AM   #25
Raashid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Thing is Frank ****** management style - by his own admission I recall in his News of the World Column, is to protect his fighters as much as possible, get them to earn as much money as they can with minimal danger, only throwing in big names when they're ready to be taken.
That's why Naseem Hamed never fulfilled his potential in my opinion. ****** encouraged him to move up to featherweight when he could have forced a mandatory challenge against Marco Antonio Barrera in 1995. The Hamed who beat Steve Robinson, would probably have been too good for the Barrera of that time as well, but instead, he never did fight any high qulaity opponents until he had gone soft with all the Sky TV money for knocking out WBO contenders.
Raashid is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2007, 07:22 AM   #26
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Katsidis is doing real well at the moment, but I do worry about his style.
The Diaz fight is a very big one, with the possibility of some serious damage if things go wrong.
The way he fights, I'm just concerned he'll be shopworn within a fairly short period of time.

As for Khan-Katsidis, who knows? Amir would need to improve, but at the moment he seems to be doing that.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2007, 08:52 AM   #27
Akxtinguish
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Which belt ?(if the answer is WBU I don't want to hear it) , McAllister has a very padded record and the only notable name(sorry Jeff ) on his record is Craig Docherty who is meant to be very badly faded and a shadow of his former self .

He'd be much weaker than anyone on the list I gave . However if Khan was to fight McAllister in February I would be just about okay with it(although a little disappointed) , if he were to face Thaxton in 2/3 months .
It's a joke belt, that's for sure, but what disturbs me is the fact that Amir Khan seems to be talking so much about wanting to break this record of his, and if the WBU belt will make him happy and get this rushing for a belt business out of the way, then he can settle down and train properly for bigger fights without having to race against time.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:02 PM   #28
Big Ears
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
It's a joke belt, that's for sure, but what disturbs me is the fact that Amir Khan seems to be talking so much about wanting to break this record of his, and if the WBU belt will make him happy and get this rushing for a belt business out of the way, then he can settle down and train properly for bigger fights without having to race against time.
It wouldn't really count though because it's not a major World title . Hamed won one of the big 4(although WBO didn't mean quite as much to many back then) at 21 years and 7 months . So unless Khan gets WBC , WBA , WBO or IBF title within 7 months then he hasn't done it .

Surely there must be another British fighter that has won a WBF , IBU at a younger age than 21 already .
Big Ears is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #29
Akxtinguish
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
So unless Khan gets WBC , WBA , WBO or IBF title within 7 months then he hasn't done it .
Doesn't look very likely considering that three of them are held by Juan Diaz, and he's looking likely to pick up the fourth one in February.

Quote:
Surely there must be another British fighter that has won a WBF , IBU at a younger age than 21 already .
Maybe. I think Khan needs to let go of this record-breaking idea. Boxers aren't remembered for how old they were when they won a certain title (except Iron Mike).
Old 12-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #30
Big Ears
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Doesn't look very likely considering that three of them are held by Juan Diaz, and he's looking likely to pick up the fourth one in February.
Actually he won't have the 4th , Katsidis only holds the WBO interim title(of which Juan is the full champion) , so all he'll be doing is getting rid of that .
David Diaz will hold the remaining belt and Joel Casamayor will probably try and claim that he's the champion .
Big Ears is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum