Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-09-2007, 05:19 PM   #31
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: As of right now, do you rate Mayweather above the following fighters:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88
mayweather would beat mosley, quartey and coke head whitaker, at least floyd fights prime fighters, unlike oscar who just picks on guys when they become grandpas.

How old was Oscar again when Floyd fought him?

IMO all those fights would be close, as were oscar's with them.

And as of right now, Oscar's resume is way deeper than Floyd's. The guys I mentioned would all work anyone that Floyd has fought (yes even a 34 year old Oscar )
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #32
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: As of right now, do you rate Mayweather above the following fighters:

Quote:
I know mayweather beat prime hatton, prime castillo, prime corralles, hernandez at 130, not 135. This sweet scientist is turning into a joke.
And? Just how great were these prime fighters? Were ANY of them great? Good level of comp, but not as if someone like DLH wouldn't have walked through all of them.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:26 PM   #33
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist
And? Just how great were these prime fighters? Were ANY of them great? Good level of comp, but not as if someone like DLH wouldn't have walked through all of them.
Name 1 guy that de la hoya beat(not gift decison wins over over the hill fighters) that floyd would have lost to.
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2007, 05:30 PM   #34
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Potentially Tito and (since I think he beat Mosley second time round) Shane. I think he struggles with Whitaker, Quartey and of course Hopkins, just as Oscar did.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #35
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Potentially Tito and (since I think he beat Mosley second time round) Shane. I think he struggles with Whitaker, Quartey and of course Hopkins, just as Oscar did.
Tito gets schooled everytime hes put infront of a boxer, quartey basically loses all his big fights and you think mayweathers gets beat by both. By the way, since mayweather just beat hatton, his resume is now deeper than whitakers.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:24 PM   #36
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Tito gets schooled everytime hes put infront of a boxer, quartey basically loses all his big fights and you think mayweathers gets beat by both. By the way, since mayweather just beat hatton, his resume is now deeper than whitakers.
Tito gets schooled whenever he's put in front of a boxer twice the size of Floyd Mayweather.

Quartey loses all his big fights but who are they against? Better fighters (at that stage in their careers) than Mayweather has beat to date.

So Mayweather's resume is deeper than Whitaker's? How so?

Who on Mayweather's resume is better than Chavez?

Who on Mayweather's resume is better than Nelson?

I know you'll say DLH, but DLH was much more past his prime than Chavez and Nelson were when they faced Whitaker and FLoyd still struggled to get the better of him. Kind of closes the subject for me on what would have happened if he faced a prime DLH.

I'd take the likes of Buddy McGirt to school the likes of Hatton and Judah (hell a 40 year old Rafael Pineda just about beat Judah), and I'd take the likes of Ramirez to knock both Castillo and Corrales out.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:36 PM   #37
sthomas
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I gotta go head to head except Jones

Pernell Whitaker- pick em' =
Thomas Hearns- KO's Mayweather @ Welter, Hearns > May based on that
Marvin Hagler- Better Resume, fought Leonard when he was too old. =
Roy Jones Jr.- Slightly more talented, not nearly as smart. Mayweather > than Jones.
Oscar De La Hoya - Put up a good fight for an old man and got tired. Prime for prime =
sthomas is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2007, 08:59 PM   #38
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Tito gets schooled whenever he's put in front of a boxer twice the size of Floyd Mayweather.

Quartey loses all his big fights but who are they against? Better fighters (at that stage in their careers) than Mayweather has beat to date.

So Mayweather's resume is deeper than Whitaker's? How so?

Who on Mayweather's resume is better than Chavez?

Who on Mayweather's resume is better than Nelson?

I know you'll say DLH, but DLH was much more past his prime than Chavez and Nelson were when they faced Whitaker and FLoyd still struggled to get the better of him. Kind of closes the subject for me on what would have happened if he faced a prime DLH.

I'd take the likes of Buddy McGirt to school the likes of Hatton and Judah (hell a 40 year old Rafael Pineda just about beat Judah), and I'd take the likes of Ramirez to knock both Castillo and Corrales out.
de la hoya actually did something at 154, wtf did nelson and chavez do at the weights whitaker fought them at. Ramirez koing castillo, haha good one. Castillo's record against top fighters is much better, mancini and camacho tooled ramirez with ease.

Im sure when all is said n done, hatton will go down as greater than mcgirt.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:01 PM   #39
Manjanek
ESB Double Whopper
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1125

I say he just moved ahead of Jones also. He can take a punch-
Also ahead of DLH
Manjanek is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2007, 10:13 PM   #40
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

I think he edges De la Hoya.

I started to say Jones, but Jones does have wins over Hopkins, Toney, and a top 10(not all time, just at time) heavyweight.

I'd say he's about even with Jones at the moment and behind the others I did not mention.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 12:00 AM   #41
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
de la hoya actually did something at 154, wtf did nelson and chavez do at the weights whitaker fought them at. Ramirez koing castillo, haha good one. Castillo's record against top fighters is much better, mancini and camacho tooled ramirez with ease.

Im sure when all is said n done, hatton will go down as greater than mcgirt.
What Nelson and Chavez did at the weights they fought Whitaker at was simply fight Whitaker, and that was the end of their stay there after they got schooled. Why hang around for another schooling? Doesn't mean that they wouldnt have beaten a lot of fighters at those weights. And the fact is that the Chavez that faced Whitaker was better than DLH at the time Floyd fought him.

Camacho would have tooled Castillo as well. The Mancini fight was a bad performance, but in my books, Ramirez has 2 wins against Rosario and a win against Arguello. He also did ok in his fights with Chavez and Whitaker. Castillo would not have done any better against those two.

As for Hatton going down as greater than McGirt, well, I don't know, there's a lot of average guys he can feast on like Malignaggi and co, so he might build up a decent record. Head to head I think McGirt schools Hatton though, at 140 and definitely at 147.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:23 AM   #42
Sizzle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I definately rate Whitaker ahead of Mayweather.

What you must consider first of all is that Mayweather fought about 70% of his career at 130lbs, so you'd have to consider this his "natural" or best weight. What he's accomplished at 135, 140, 147 and 154lbs (not to mention 130lbs) leads me to believe he's possibly the best ever fighter at this weight.

Aside from that, I think his accomplishments are a little underrated - I rank him ahead of Hearns (H2H at Welterweight I pick Hearns though) and Roy Jones Jnr quite comfortably.

I give him the edge over De La Hoya, although I rate him pretty evenly with Marvin Hagler who was an extraordinary middleweight(Top25 P4P)

The only thing that really affects Mayweathers legacy in my mind is longevity - An 11 year career, compared to the likes of Archie Moore and Ray Robinson who fought on for close to 30 years and proved their worth among different eras.

Fighters like Ali, and even Bernard Hopkins, proved they were able to defeat the best fighters available when they were far removed from their prime (Foreman, Frazier,Trinidad, Wright). We'll never know how good Mayweather is/would be with his athletic capacity diminished.

Still, a tremendous fighter and worthy of mythical H2H matchup with any fighter from 130lbs-140lbs, and possibly most at 147lbs, although I think the rangey, powerful welterweights (Robinson, Hearns etc) who could hold their own at lightheavy, would be too difficult for Floyd.
Sizzle is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 02:04 AM   #43
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZA
Pernell Whitaker
Thomas Hearns
Marvin Hagler
Roy Jones Jr.
Oscar De La Hoya
I'd say he outranks Hearns and De La Hoya at this point, and maybe Jones. Not Hagler or Whitaker, though.
Marciano Frazier is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 02:12 AM   #44
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I wish someone would explain to me why Hagler is typically rated in the top twenty of all time.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 02:24 AM   #45
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

you mean the jose luis castillo who many believe was robbed against mayweather in the first fight?
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum