Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-10-2007, 02:25 AM   #46
cpnasty
Fight Fan 83
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: As of right now, do you rate Mayweather above the following fighters:

Ahead of DLH
cpnasty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2007, 02:54 AM   #47
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: As of right now, do you rate Mayweather above the following fighters:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa
I wish someone would explain to me why Hagler is typically rated in the top twenty of all time.
Thats not hard. Hgaler beat Antuofermo and Minter, 2 Linear middleweight champions and both should be in the hall of fame, imo. He beat 2 all time great fighters in duran and hearns, even though they are smaller, they are still big names to have on your resume. On top of that he has 2 wins over hamsho, a man that would have been a superstar in the 80s, if it wasnt for hagler. Hagler has a better resume than guys like eder jofre, julio cesar chavez, alexis arguello, salvidor sanchez. Those names consistently appear in the top 25 of all times.
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 03:00 AM   #48
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88
Behind tommy i lose my biggest fights hearns, haha i dont think so.
Shows you know fukk all about Hearns.

Incidentally who would you say Floyd has beaten that would rate with Leonard or Hagler? Who would you say he has beaten that rates above the likes of Duran at 154, Benitez and Hill?
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 03:06 AM   #49
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
On top of that he has 2 wins over hamsho, a man that would have been a superstar in the 80s, if it wasnt for hagler.

Quote:
Hagler has a better resume than guys like eder jofre, julio cesar chavez, alexis arguello, salvidor sanchez. Those names consistently appear in the top 25 of all times.
You need to do some serious re-evaluating.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:12 AM   #50
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1

You need to do some serious re-evaluating.
Why, hamsho would have been a top middleweight if it wasnt for hagler and hagler has a better resume than all of those names i netioned.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:13 AM   #51
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Shows you know fukk all about Hearns.

Incidentally who would you say Floyd has beaten that would rate with Leonard or Hagler? Who would you say he has beaten that rates above the likes of Duran at 154, Benitez and Hill?
Hearns beat the smaller benitez, the smaller cuevas and the smaller duran, o wow. Mayweather either beat guys bigger than him or the same size. Hes been #1 p4p for 2 and a half years, how long was heanrs #1 p4p, 15 seconds?
Old 12-10-2007, 03:44 AM   #52
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Behind tommy i lose my biggest fights hearns, haha i dont think so.

more like tommy "ill knock out every welterweight whos ever lived thats not named sugar ray"
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 05:45 AM   #53
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Resume wise i can see it, but head to head (pound for pound), i think Jones is ahead of Mayweather. At 160 or 168 that is. He beat a young, prime Toney without losing a single round and handled Hopkins pretty easily as well, in a manner that no one has done to them ever before or after. Well, only Peter in Toney's case.

While Mayweather managed to pull out the win often, i thought he lost the first fight against Castillo and some other fights were a bit harder than they should've been, like Judah and an aging Dela Hoya. Jones was absolutely untouchable at 160/168, Mayweather at 140-147 wasn't, though to be fair he is a bit over his natural weight there. I will also add that i was very impressed with his performance against Hatton.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 06:16 AM   #54
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZA
Pernell Whitaker
Thomas Hearns
Marvin Hagler
Roy Jones Jr.
Oscar De La Hoya
Mayweather needs to make up his mind. Does he want to retire, or be an all time great.

It is possible that Mayweather has faced better opponents than Roy Jones has, and acomplished as much as Oscar De La Hoya, but I think he needs 1-2 more big fights to belong in this thread.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 06:21 AM   #55
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Hearns beat the smaller benitez, the smaller cuevas and the smaller duran, o wow. Mayweather either beat guys bigger than him or the same size. Hes been #1 p4p for 2 and a half years, how long was heanrs #1 p4p, 15 seconds?
Let me guess, because Hearns was tall and had great physical traits you simply hold it against him and degrade the mans wins? Benitez was the 154 pound champion and Hearns moved UP to face him. Cuevas was knocking over Welters like tenpins. Hill and Andries etc were 30 pounds bigger than where Hearns started.

Who's talking P4P? I'm just telling you your knowledge and respect is utterly pisspoor regarding Hearns.

Last edited by My dinner with Conteh; 11-01-2006 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:25 AM   #56
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

I'll leave Hagler out because he didn't jump up in weight.

Of the others, I don't think Mayweather (yet) rates ahead any of them. In time, that could well change.
It's going to take more than a win over Hatton to do so, because although Hatton is good, I don't think he'd have been a champion when boxing had only one champion per division.

Nonetheless, it's hard not to be impressed by Floyd. I think in the long run he'll rub shoulders with the elite.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 06:26 AM   #57
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Why, hamsho would have been a top middleweight if it wasnt for hagler and hagler has a better resume than all of those names i netioned.
What a pile of crap. Hamsho may have had his time, but it would have been damn short. The guys skills were ordinary and he went as good as he did mostly on heart, determination and fantastic durability. Christ, if there was no Hagler Leonard and Hearns would have been killing each other for first shot at Hamsho. Either would have beaten him. Crikey, i'd back the Duran that Hagler fought to beat him even. Other underachieving Middles could have upset him on a given night as well. Hamsho could have indeed nabbed the title but it would not have been for long.

This was your comment

Quote:
hamsho, a man that would have been a superstar in the 80s, if it wasnt for hagler.
Hamsho, a superstar without Hagler, and here you are bagging Hearns
Old 12-10-2007, 02:19 PM   #58
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
What a pile of crap. Hamsho may have had his time, but it would have been damn short. The guys skills were ordinary and he went as good as he did mostly on heart, determination and fantastic durability. Christ, if there was no Hagler Leonard and Hearns would have been killing each other for first shot at Hamsho. Either would have beaten him. Crikey, i'd back the Duran that Hagler fought to beat him even. Other underachieving Middles could have upset him on a given night as well. Hamsho could have indeed nabbed the title but it would not have been for long.

This was your comment

Hamsho, a superstar without Hagler, and here you are bagging Hearns
Hamshos record at 160 is much better than hearns, how are u certain hearns beats him. Iran barkely knocked thomas hearns out. Many people say valdez would have been a star if it wasnt for monzon, hamsho has a better resume than him at 160. You would pick duran to beat hamsho, why cuz he beat davey moore and a shot cuevas, lol. I'm sorry but didnt he drop decisions to kirklaind lang and ****in robbie sims, many people say that barkely arguably beat him too.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:22 PM   #59
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Let me guess, because Hearns was tall and had great physical traits you simply hold it against him and degrade the mans wins? Benitez was the 154 pound champion and Hearns moved UP to face him. Cuevas was knocking over Welters like tenpins. Hill and Andries etc were 30 pounds bigger than where Hearns started.

Who's talking P4P? I'm just telling you your knowledge and respect is utterly pisspoor regarding Hearns.
My knwoedlge is pisspoor regarding hearns even though i have seen his important fights and one of my buddies is his biggest fan ever and virtually has all his fights, dream on. It doesnt matter if heanrs moved up to fight benitez, it was visibly clear as to who the bigger man was. Either way, p4p mayweather is going to go down as the greater fighter after he retires so i dont know why i'm wasting my time arguing with you.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:33 PM   #60
Ezzard
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49
mayweather over de la hoya? funniest thing i have read all day. A old far past his prime rusty Oscar nearly beat floyd mayweather, lets just be thankful for floyds sake that he never had to get in the ring with a late 1990s prime oscar de la hoya.

no way mayweather rates over oscar, not yet.

amazing how underated oscar continues to be. he probably was the most skilled boxer of the 1990s. Even when old and overweight, he has such good boxing skills he can still beat/nearly beat the best young fighters in the weight class.
Got to agree with this. Oscar has become very devalued. Floyd's easy handling of Hatton showed just how difficult DLH still is.

I'd possibly rate Floyd above Jones other than that he can't really be up there in terms of who he's fought but make no doubt he's a special talent who would be great in any era.
Ezzard is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum