Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

 
  


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,914
vCash: 1000
Default Are MMA fighters now bigger heroes in Brazil...

...than boxers?
john garfield is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 30,471
vCash: 233
Default Re: Are MMA fighters now bigger heroes in Brazil...

probably
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
jmmpbf
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,656
vCash: 500
Default Re: Are MMA fighters now bigger heroes in Brazil...

How are these Brazilians owning UFC anyways? jw... Better trainers?
jmmpbf is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 30,471
vCash: 233
Default Re: Are MMA fighters now bigger heroes in Brazil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmpbf View Post
How are these Brazilians owning UFC anyways? jw... Better trainers?
Brazllian JuJitzu I'm guessing and they been practicing that for longer with better trainers.
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
Alien
Chin Scholar
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,295
vCash: 500
Default Re: Are MMA fighters now bigger heroes in Brazil...

In general MMA fighters have no punch resistance. None.
Alien is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
CoDer
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,457
vCash: 500
Default Re: Are MMA fighters now bigger heroes in Brazil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien View Post
In general MMA fighters have no punch resistance. None.
Seen those gloves?
CoDer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 11,238
vCash: 75
Default Re: Are MMA fighters now bigger heroes in Brazil...

Yes, without a doubt for me.

Anderson Silva is a national hero, Jose Aldo too.
Even fighters that are just beneath that elite level now (Vitor Belfort for example, though he used to be a phenom) get great support.

I was discussing on here a little while ago, with a Brazilian poster, that I can't really remember any great Brazilian fighter, I'm only 19 years old so I don't go as far back in terms of knowlege as most of you. I mean real class fighter, not someone who got a title shot, lost and vanished.

All I can think of is Kelson Pinto
SJS19 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: A Hero Forever Loyal To The Flames Of War, Rests in Outer Heaven
Posts: 2,436
vCash: 157
Default Re: Are MMA fighters now bigger heroes in Brazil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
Yes, without a doubt for me.

Anderson Silva is a national hero, Jose Aldo too.
Even fighters that are just beneath that elite level now (Vitor Belfort for example, though he used to be a phenom) get great support.

I was discussing on here a little while ago, with a Brazilian poster, that I can't really remember any great Brazilian fighter, I'm only 19 years old so I don't go as far back in terms of knowlege as most of you. I mean real class fighter, not someone who got a title shot, lost and vanished.

All I can think of is Kelson Pinto
Eder Jofre

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Garrus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
marcelocrb
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 85
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Are MMA fighters now bigger heroes in Brazil...

MMA-UFC is the new trend here in brazil, is the second most popular sport for sure. in the other way round, people here doesnīt give a damn about boxing, Eder Jofre is almost a unknown.The only household name here was Acelino Popo Freitas.
marcelocrb is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #10
gambleer
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,094
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Are MMA fighters now bigger heroes in Brazil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelocrb View Post
MMA-UFC is the new trend here in brazil, is the second most popular sport for sure. in the other way round, people here doesnīt give a damn about boxing, Eder Jofre is almost a unknown.The only household name here was Acelino Popo Freitas.
Popo was certainly a national hero, but now not as popular as once he was.
gambleer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 30,471
vCash: 233
Default Re: Are MMA fighters now bigger heroes in Brazil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDer View Post
Seen those gloves?
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #12
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 11,238
vCash: 75
Default Re: Are MMA fighters now bigger heroes in Brazil...

How far is the bridge in popularity between 'Soccer' (I'm British, it's hard for me not to call it football!) and MMA right now?
SJS19 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #13
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 5,458
vCash: 553
Default Re: Are MMA fighters now bigger heroes in Brazil...

I would believe it's been that way for the past 20 years, if not longer.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #14
marcelocrb
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 85
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Are MMA fighters now bigger heroes in Brazil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
How far is the bridge in popularity between 'Soccer' (I'm British, it's hard for me not to call it football!) and MMA right now?
I think there is a big difference right now, people here realy loves football-soccer, the tv "sport" shows is just about soccer anyway.MMA is growing very fast but i donīt think is possible a sport reach the same level of attention as soccer in brazil.
marcelocrb is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #15
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,697
vCash: 1166
Default Re: Are MMA fighters now bigger heroes in Brazil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelocrb View Post
I think there is a big difference right now, people here realy loves football-soccer, the tv "sport" shows is just about soccer anyway.MMA is growing very fast but i donīt think is possible a sport reach the same level of attention as soccer in brazil.
True !
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013