Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
Dilly
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Boxing Is Dead

We've all heard this before but with a little help from Google, lets see how long people have really been saying Boxing is a dying sport.

1937 - Jack Dempsey knows his own game when he says Boxing will be washed up within a year, unless something is done, he's talking straight from his heart. "It isn't Boxing anymore, he complains, "but just a big lawsuit."

Jul 22, 1966 - Boxing is dead, no question in Jack Dempsey's mind the fight game is dead. There is no fight game today the former champion said, there never will be again.

May 22, 1965 - Boxing is dead, not just in Boston but everywhere. Former heavyweight champion Rocky Marciano gave that opinion in an interview recently with the Boston Traveler.

May 26, 1965 - "I said boxing is dead, and I guess it's true," said Rocky Marciano sadly.

Dec 9, 1903 - Whether the time-honored sport of Boxing is dead or only sleeping will probably be demonstrated this month.

Jun 15, 1906 - Jim Neil Declares "Boxing Is Dead in New York"

Jun 1, 1923 - "Boxing Is Dead Sport", says Chicago's Mayor Chicago

Jun 2, 1942 - Promoters generally hold the view that due to increased taxes they cannot afford "cuts" therefore Boxing is dead.

Nov 29, 1943 - Others say, yeah, Boxing is dead game; it smells like dead game that's been lying under the sun. The optimists and well-wishers say that Boxing has lost its champs and stars, but that there are still good fights to be seen.

1957- wrestling promoter: "I know what this is all about," he declared. The commission is running in the red because Boxing is dead and it wants to tap some of the gates we're getting.

1962 - Boxing is dead in Baltimore. It is almost dead everywhere

Dec 18, 1962 - Boxing is dead or dying in many parts of the world, but in Italy it is a fact.

Jan 7, 1965 - Unless something is done very soon, Boxing is dead. "Right now there is too much politics in the various commissions. They mean well, but they don't know what they re doing

Feb 4, 1974 - The evidence says boxing is dead.

Oct 31, 1974 - With Muhammad now unchallenged at the top, the dimwits again will chorus that boxing is dead. They've been saying this since before Sports Illustrated began investigating a fix in the Cain vs. Abel match. If boxing has been dead, you've been sitting in on the longest wake in history

Nov 27, 1975 - "Each year the new people up here keep telling me Boxing is dead but they don't seem to realize that boxing never before had three heavyweights like Ali, Frazier and Foreman at the same time. The new people keep talking about the good old days in boxing

1977 - Ali "although I might like to be a lecturer, boxing is dead when I'm not involved," what will happen to the sport when he does finally retire?
Dilly is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
Super Hans
No clover in the foam
East Side Guru

vCash: 0
Default Re: Boxing Is Dead

Boxing needs to die. It's a nasty, nasty sport
Super Hans is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
Kid Cincinnati
GOOD BOY NATION
ESB Addict

vCash: 0

A strange phenomenon.

And oddly like all the never-ending complaints on this forum over the years that "This place has really gone down hill."
Kid Cincinnati is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
David HEY!!!
!!!!LOOK AT ME!!!!
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 112

Boxing has been dying since the day it became sanctioned.

There are articles from over 100 years ago that claim it is dying..and every decade after that.
David HEY!!! is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
Bustajay
Feel the Steel/Balls Deep
ESB Addict

vCash: 324
Talking Re: Boxing Is Dead

My penis is dying but it hangs in there day by day
Bustajay is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
Society619
UK's Favorite American

vCash: 500

Society619 is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
TheMoneyTeam1
Picking cherries
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 254

TheMoneyTeam1 is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #8
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 2000

IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #9
bmf95b
Boxing Fan
ESB Addict

Hmmm
bmf95b is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #10
user9992
Journeyman

vCash: 500

Qutoes from age ago!
user9992 is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2013, 03:42 AM   #11
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

A door that is rotting away can still swing open. But eventually, the rot gets so bad that the door falls off it's hinges.

While I do think that the cries of "boxing is dead!" is a bit alarmist and very premature, there are warning signs that can't be ignored either.

Looking at most those quotes, they occured at a time when boxing was still - at worst - a top 10 sport.
Up until about the 60's, boxing was second only to baseball (in the States at least) but the rise and rise of ball sports like football, basketball, soccer, MMA (like it or not it's here to stay) and a lot of other sports have given boxing a really stiff challenge over the years.
Boxing is not even close to being a top ten sport anymore. Only the mega stars make huge money and do big PPV numbers, and I think we'll see less and less of that as time moves on.

The situation is not beyond saving and boxing will never really die, but unless the obvious warning signs are heeded, the sport is going to become more and more niche and less and less popular over the next 20, 30 years.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2013, 03:47 AM   #12
RememberingC.S.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 623

Intersting quotes! And yet Boxing is more alive than ever, and becoming stronger and stronger, and more global!
RememberingC.S. is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2013, 04:11 AM   #13
Scar
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 372

Great thread.
Scar is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #14
sir axeman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1175

PPV figures and fighters purses say its very much alive and well. MMA is said to be the fastest growing sport...well that maybe but its small fry compared to boxing. Look at the purses those guys get compared to top boxers..small change. Floyd wouldn't get out of bed for the money of a dozen MMA title fights worth of money.
sir axeman is online now  Top
Old 11-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #15
T.S.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilly View Post
We've all heard this before but with a little help from Google, lets see how long people have really been saying Boxing is a dying sport.

1937 - Jack Dempsey knows his own game when he says Boxing will be washed up within a year, unless something is done, he's talking straight from his heart. "It isn't Boxing anymore, he complains, "but just a big lawsuit."

Jul 22, 1966 - Boxing is dead, no question in Jack Dempsey's mind the fight game is dead. There is no fight game today the former champion said, there never will be again.

May 22, 1965 - Boxing is dead, not just in Boston but everywhere. Former heavyweight champion Rocky Marciano gave that opinion in an interview recently with the Boston Traveler.

May 26, 1965 - "I said boxing is dead, and I guess it's true," said Rocky Marciano sadly.

Dec 9, 1903 - Whether the time-honored sport of Boxing is dead or only sleeping will probably be demonstrated this month.

Jun 15, 1906 - Jim Neil Declares "Boxing Is Dead in New York"

Jun 1, 1923 - "Boxing Is Dead Sport", says Chicago's Mayor Chicago

Jun 2, 1942 - Promoters generally hold the view that due to increased taxes they cannot afford "cuts" therefore Boxing is dead.

Nov 29, 1943 - Others say, yeah, Boxing is dead game; it smells like dead game that's been lying under the sun. The optimists and well-wishers say that Boxing has lost its champs and stars, but that there are still good fights to be seen.

1957- wrestling promoter: "I know what this is all about," he declared. The commission is running in the red because Boxing is dead and it wants to tap some of the gates we're getting.

1962 - Boxing is dead in Baltimore. It is almost dead everywhere

Dec 18, 1962 - Boxing is dead or dying in many parts of the world, but in Italy it is a fact.

Jan 7, 1965 - Unless something is done very soon, Boxing is dead. "Right now there is too much politics in the various commissions. They mean well, but they don't know what they re doing

Feb 4, 1974 - The evidence says boxing is dead.

Oct 31, 1974 - With Muhammad now unchallenged at the top, the dimwits again will chorus that boxing is dead. They've been saying this since before Sports Illustrated began investigating a fix in the Cain vs. Abel match. If boxing has been dead, you've been sitting in on the longest wake in history

Nov 27, 1975 - "Each year the new people up here keep telling me Boxing is dead but they don't seem to realize that boxing never before had three heavyweights like Ali, Frazier and Foreman at the same time. The new people keep talking about the good old days in boxing

1977 - Ali "although I might like to be a lecturer, boxing is dead when I'm not involved," what will happen to the sport when he does finally retire?
You stopped 3 decades early I've been hearing that boxing is dying ALL MY LIFE

The sport of boxing will out live us all
T.S. is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum