Old 12-10-2007, 06:52 AM   #1
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Khans potential opponents.

Yuri Romanov - won 20 (KO 13) + lost 2 (KO 0) + drawn 0 = 22
Euro Champ

Ranked 5th in the World by Boxrec, 9th by the Ring and top 12 with all 3 belts, he would be a huge scalp for Khan. Not known to be a knockout king and he lost to Earl but has improved since.

John Thaxton - won 33 (KO 1 + lost 7 (KO 4) + drawn 0 = 40
Brit Champ

Ranked 12th in thr world by Boxrec, but not ranked by any of the 4 belts. Struggled in his last night and has lost to any decent opposition he has faced. Not a huge puncher, he holds the British title and Khan will want that before he moves on to world.

John Murray - won 23 (KO 12) + lost 0 (KO 0) + drawn 0 = 23

Has looked impressive in the UK and in the states, ratley very higly by all around him but in almost double the fights Khan has had, has not faced anyone of any paticualr note, Earl and Limmond being better than anyone he has faced by a long way. Will likley face Thaxton for the British title and the right to face Khan.

Lee McAlister - won 25 (KO 5) + lost 1 (KO 0) + drawn 0 = 26
WBU Champion

Although the WBU is a minor title that carries no weight, ****** uses it alot and many of its champs have gone on to Main titles, Hatton being an example. McAlister has never really fought anyone of note but has only lost once. Only 5 KOs he would liley be completly out classed by Khan, but could still be an option is Romanov, Thaxton and Earl are tied up.

Edner Cherry - won 23 (KO 11) + lost 5 (KO 0) + drawn 2 = 30

Ranked by the WBA and WBC. Would be potentially dangerous at this stage and more likley to be used as a stepping stone to world class. Reguarly fights on HBO and Showtime and would get the attention of the US Bank Rollers.

I think he should fight 3 of the first 4 guys mentioned (winner of Thaxton VS Murray) and then head to the states to fight Cherry.

I can see it being McAlister next, which alot of people will be pissed about but remember Khan is 21, and none of those guys listed have beatan opposition better than Graham Earl, and they certainly could not do it in 1 round.

robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
jc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 419
Default Re: Khans potential opponents.

Should fight Taxton next for the british, then think about the EBU after.
jc is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 09:59 AM   #3
LeedsLad
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

He should have a stay busy fight against a tough african fighter that might give him some rounds, while waiting for the winner of Thaxton/Murray. If he has the Brit and Commonwealth hes pretty much done on the domestic level, and can step upto European honours. He needs to take it slow, hes still far from ready for a world title shot.
LeedsLad is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
Napuis
Straight talkin' mo'fuhha
ESB Full Member

John thaxton I reckon/

Last edited by Lance_Uppercut; 11-01-2006 at 03:02 PM.
Napuis is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 10:54 AM   #5
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpalmer135
Yuri Romanov - won 20 (KO 13) + lost 2 (KO 0) + drawn 0 = 22
Euro Champ

Ranked 5th in the World by Boxrec, 9th by the Ring and top 12 with all 3 belts, he would be a huge scalp for Khan. Not known to be a knockout king and he lost to Earl but has improved since.

John Thaxton - won 33 (KO 1 + lost 7 (KO 4) + drawn 0 = 40
Brit Champ

Ranked 12th in thr world by Boxrec, but not ranked by any of the 4 belts. Struggled in his last night and has lost to any decent opposition he has faced. Not a huge puncher, he holds the British title and Khan will want that before he moves on to world.

Has looked impressive in the UK and in the states, ratley very higly by all around him but in almost double the fights Khan has had, has not faced anyone of any paticualr note, Earl and Limmond being better than anyone he has faced by a long way. Will likley face Thaxton for the British title and the right to face Khan.

Lee McAlister - won 25 (KO 5) + lost 1 (KO 0) + drawn 0 = 26
WBU Champion

Although the WBU is a minor title that carries no weight, ****** uses it alot and many of its champs have gone on to Main titles, Hatton being an example. McAlister has never really fought anyone of note but has only lost once. Only 5 KOs he would liley be completly out classed by Khan, but could still be an option is Romanov, Thaxton and Earl are tied up.

Edner Cherry - won 23 (KO 11) + lost 5 (KO 0) + drawn 2 = 30

Ranked by the WBA and WBC. Would be potentially dangerous at this stage and more likley to be used as a stepping stone to world class. Reguarly fights on HBO and Showtime and would get the attention of the US Bank Rollers.

I think he should fight 3 of the first 4 guys mentioned (winner of Thaxton VS Murray) and then head to the states to fight Cherry.

I can see it being McAlister next, which alot of people will be pissed about but remember Khan is 21, and none of those guys listed have beatan opposition better than Graham Earl, and they certainly could not do it in 1 round.
I like the list you've brought up but your underselling Romanov and Thaxton. Romanov is very heavy handed and Thaxton has beaten several decent fighters.

The Edner Cherry match would be excellent management.... so don't expect that to happen too soon - lol
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 11:41 AM   #6
LiamE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2000

Thaxton would be my next choice, then cement a Lonsdale belt before a European title shot.
LiamE is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 11:50 AM   #7
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

FW wants to get him a shot at the EBU.So it looks like his been lined up for Romanov.Romanov is no slouch though.I remember him literally obliterating Bobbie Vanzie and Steve Murray almost back to back.Earl got a gift vs him too.Khan would have his work cut out but should be able to coast to a farely trouble free UD.His fast hands are the key here.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 12:39 PM   #8
Maza1987
Illin' since '87
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 3356

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpalmer135

Has looked impressive in the UK and in the states

im sorry, but he was pathetic against a journeyman on saturday. this guy would be a waste of time,hes been hiding in the states for while but his latest fight went out on primetime.

a dude who lost 8 of his last 9 fight almost showed him up.
Maza1987 is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 01:00 PM   #9
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvickfan
khan would beat all of thoses guys... he needs to fight all of those guys though.. i can see someone with mayweathers style troubling khan, people with just as much slickness and craftiness and non of those fighters are even close to khans talent
1) There is no one in his division as quick as him
2) There is nobody with Mayweathers style but Floyd, De La Hoya and Hatton found that out the hard way!
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #10
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

Khan-Cherry would be a decent money fight. I suspect HBO would be willing to pick that up as part of a BAD card. The only issue is that Cherry does have some pop in his fists (including KOing Mayweather's boy Wes Ferguson over the weekend), and ****** has been very reluctant to let his cash cow go up against anyone who might knock out his chinny fighter.

Another name that might carry some cachet, who Khan should be able to beat easily is Ricky Quiles. Not sure if he's still ranked by the orgs though.
Brickhaus is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 01:51 PM   #11
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922

I say chuck him in with Michael Katsidis. For all those that thought Khan did really great against Earl, just compare that to how Katsidis struggled with him.
If Khan walking through Earl means as much as what some people are claiming, then Katsidis should be quite beatable.
Seriously though, why not? I believe Khan is going to get starched at some point before too long, and the more "learning" fights he has, the more he runs the risk of getting complacent and KO'd by a lesser fighter.
A loss to Katsidis would not be the end of the world for Khan, but anybody who saw Katsidis in his last fight would agree that he is definitely beatable.
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 04:06 PM   #12
rooq
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypole
I say chuck him in with Michael Katsidis. For all those that thought Khan did really great against Earl, just compare that to how Katsidis struggled with him.
If Khan walking through Earl means as much as what some people are claiming, then Katsidis should be quite beatable.
Seriously though, why not? I believe Khan is going to get starched at some point before too long, and the more "learning" fights he has, the more he runs the risk of getting complacent and KO'd by a lesser fighter.
A loss to Katsidis would not be the end of the world for Khan, but anybody who saw Katsidis in his last fight would agree that he is definitely beatable.
katsidis was touted as a possible opponent in the Manchester Evening News today...don't know where this info came from though.

but seriously, as someone else has already said, khan needs rounds at the moment. katsidis would give him rounds but also carry a big ko threat which ****** won't go for just yet. thaxton will also give him rounds - although he cuts easily he is not really known to go down too quickly and will be the tough test khan needs right now. plus i think he's still mandatory for khans commonwealth title anyway.
rooq is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 07:08 PM   #13
Maza1987
Illin' since '87
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 3356

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooq
katsidis was touted as a possible opponent in the Manchester Evening News today...don't know where this info came from though.

but seriously, as someone else has already said, khan needs rounds at the moment. katsidis would give him rounds but also carry a big ko threat which ****** won't go for just yet. thaxton will also give him rounds - although he cuts easily he is not really known to go down too quickly and will be the tough test khan needs right now. plus i think he's still mandatory for khans commonwealth title anyway.
lol yeh that must have been a bad source,
seeing as katsidis just agreed to fight juan diaz.
Maza1987 is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 08:45 PM   #14
Words
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I wouldnt throw him in with anyone world class just yet. Not for at least another 2 years, He's talented but inexprienced. He's still a kid. 21 years old! Let him fight guys like Jon Thaxton, Alex Arthur, Kevin Mitchell and Romanov, keep him on a british/euro title level til he matures. He's got so much potential but he's not the finished product yet.
Words is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 03:41 AM   #15
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maza1987
lol yeh that must have been a bad source,
seeing as katsidis just agreed to fight juan diaz.
It doesn't have to be the next fight. Sometime next year it could happen. I believe Amir Khan's career is not going to last as long as other fighters, he is not robust enough. He is itching to fight the top gus, and I say let him off the leash.
The more "learning" fights he has, the more avoided he's going to be, and could end up like Junior Witter, not fulfilling his potential.
Claypole is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum