Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 12-11-2007, 01:18 PM   #61
kurt2006
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hatton is better than Calzaghe !!!!!

Since when has just stepping up made you a better fighter ?

Hatton moved up and looked shit in both fights yet some of you think this makes him better. You guys are living in a fools paradise.
kurt2006 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2007, 02:20 PM   #62
steelem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt2006
Since when has just stepping up made you a better fighter ?

Hatton moved up and looked shit in both fights yet some of you think this makes him better. You guys are living in a fools paradise.
well said
steelem is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 03:51 PM   #63
toffeejack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hatton better than Calzaghe?

Absolutely no chance. I've read all the arguments and the fact is that Calzaghe is the superior boxer technically there is no doubt about that.

If Hatton had won on Saturday night then I would have put him above Joe in terms of legacy but no ****ing way is Hatton the better fighter. Even if he had won Calzaghe will always be the superior boxer.

Hatton deserves all the credit in the world for stepping up and fighting the best but that doesn't make him any better. Braver, maybe but better no way!

If Calzaghe was English he would have been knighted by now and you all know it.
toffeejack is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 04:08 PM   #64
True Writer
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Calzaghe has made his name fighting bums at home.

Hatton has done things very few british fighters have done; made it big in the US, he has also risked it all to fight the best p4p fighter in the world at a weight above his own - no other british fighters have ever done that.
True Writer is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 04:09 PM   #65
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by toffeejack
Hatton better than Calzaghe?

Absolutely no chance. I've read all the arguments and the fact is that Calzaghe is the superior boxer technically there is no doubt about that.

If Hatton had won on Saturday night then I would have put him above Joe in terms of legacy but no ****ing way is Hatton the better fighter. Even if he had won Calzaghe will always be the superior boxer.

Hatton deserves all the credit in the world for stepping up and fighting the best but that doesn't make him any better. Braver, maybe but better no way!

If Calzaghe was English he would have been knighted by now and you all know it.
Im english and i think hes well overdue a knighthood. I dont agree with them being given out like candy to celebs and sportspeople but hes worked harder and for longer than most of the sorry arses that are now "sirs" , common sense doesnt happen in britain unfortunatly. Also sounds like a weak argument but its reallly the only way to put it joe calzaghe is simply better than hatton no two ways about it. Carry on arguing about it by all means but its pointless when the topic is as wrong as this one lol
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 04:13 PM   #66
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

vCash: 1241

Judging off resume doesn't do.

If we were talking about Jedi then Calzaghe would be prime Yoda and Hatton would be some young jedi In training.
Max Molyneux is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 04:20 PM   #67
True Writer
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt2006
If you have not heard of Mundine, Beyer, Andrade and co you must have limited knowledge.

Hattons record is full of bums. Bruno fought Tyson twice so I guess by your standards he is better than JC.
Those guys you list could walk past the most avid boxing fan in the street and no one would know them. Are you seriously trying to tell me they are any good?? They are ****ing useless.

I would say that Bruno did fight a far better level of fighter than Calzaghe and he fought in the US. Witherspoon, Smith, Tyson, McCall & Lennox Lewis - 2 all time greats on his CV. Calzaghe has no all time greats. You clearly don't know your boxing son. I respect Bruno far more than Calzaghe because he had the balls to fight the best, Calzaghe has done his best to avoid the best.

I think he could go down as p4p the greatest opponent avoider of all time at this rate.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:21 PM   #68
Polymath
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Writer
Calzaghe has made his name fighting bums at home.

Hatton has done things very few british fighters have done; made it big in the US, he has also risked it all to fight the best p4p fighter in the world at a weight above his own - no other british fighters have ever done that.
It doesn't matter if that's true or not, you said Hatton is technically a better fighter than Calzaghe, only a true ignoramus and boxing n00b/retarded Hatton nuthugger would even think that.
Polymath is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 04:27 PM   #69
The taff
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

You could argue this one all day, but IMO Joe Calzaghe is the better boxer technically than Hatton, regardless who they have fought. Ricky Hatton is a fighter more than a technical boxer.

They have both acheived their place as the best in british boxing of this era. Whether Calzague has fought the best or not, its still a great acheivement to go 10 years as a champion.

How many times have the best been beaten by underdogs?? So in theory, there's no reason why Calzaghe couldn't have been beaten by these so called bums that he's fought. Upsets happen, but it hasn't happened to him, and he has fought some good opposition as well as some not so good, but he's still won them all.

Hopkins has fought some not so good fighters as well, and apart from Cal not fighting Toney, RRJ and Hopkins in the last 10 years - there isn't anyone else he hasn't fought that he should have to cement his legacy.
The taff is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 04:28 PM   #70
True Writer
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

He is technically better than Calzaghe. People don't give him credit for it. His hand speed is good, he has good power and can throw every punch in the book, including a great body shots. His foot work is amazing if you have ever seen him fight live this is something that really stands out. The only thing he is lacking is good head movement.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:31 PM   #71
toffeejack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Writer
Calzaghe - is a slapper, that has made his living avoiding decent fighters while fighting at home. Technically Hatton is much better. Calzaghe made his name by beating Lacy who has proved to be one of the most overated & over hyped fighters of the past 10 years.
Come on mate

Your only reasonable argument is that Hatton has travelled to the USA and stepped up to fight the best but technically better? Are you being serious?
toffeejack is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #72
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

vCash: 1241

How can anyone who was eating shots on the chin all night not defending barely anything that Mayweather was throwing be technically better than Calzaghe?

And people used to call me blinkered despite there views on Hatton.
Max Molyneux is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 04:40 PM   #73
True Writer
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Its easy to avoid getting hit by the likes of Lacy and other bums. Its a different ball game against the greats like Mayweather who has to be one of the quickest and most accurate punchers of all time.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:05 PM   #74
SleazeNation
Coal Black Horse
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelem
hang on nerd for brains keep to the subject hattoin or calzaqghe - hatton has just had his first loss & to me he didnt beat collazo - calzaghe on the other hand has always looked so good theres really no comparison on this subject - as for rees & matthews then thats so stupid of you to bring in the same topic - the pair will only fill york hall let alone the men or cardiff!!
What the hell are you talking about?

To you Hatton didn't beat Collazo? Collazo was a welterweight world champion who Hatton went to America to fight... Something Calzaghe has never done because he's never taken a risk in his life.

Two fights in Hattons career are incomparible to any fight in Calzaghe's. Collazo and Mayweather. Because they were not fights in his own division. AND they were outside his own country against world champions...

And the only reason I mentioned Rees and Matthews is because of your comment about "you cany commend a loser"
Just because Hatton lost a fight that Calzaghe wouldn't even dare to fight in his dreams, I just compared a couple of unbeaten fighters to fighters that have lost. It's very simple.

Calzaghe has done nothing to prove he's better than Hatton.
SleazeNation is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 06:19 PM   #75
kungfu
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

hi all, first post here, been lurking for a while just watching, finally registered...

Anyway its blatantly obvious to any un-biased true boxing fan that calzaghe is absolutely more skilled than hatton, sure you may like hatton more and emotions are running extremely high (to dedicated fans, i was gutted) after his devastating loss and you may feel the need to big him up n that.......however calzaghe is simply light years ahead in terms of boxing skill and its beyond me how anyone can see otherwise, also quite irrelevant as well innit?

As big a fan i am of hatton, i also quite clearly see his flaws and that is to clever slick boxers like collazo (lost that fight imo) and mayweather he is extremely easy to hit!!! Top tip for hatton...do not fight witter next, id put huge money on a ko by witter probably earlier than mayweather managed it also and probably a career ending fight. And as i said.....im a huge hatton fan btw,......but honest.
kungfu is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum