Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
Martini643
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default How can people say Mayweather was "unethical"

It seems bizarre to me that people are taking the stance that Floyd is somehow unethical for hitting Victor Ortiz when the ref said "time in". Mayweather clearly followed the rules, Ortiz didn't. How many times does a ref have to say "Remember, protect yourself AT ALL TMES". They are both professional fighters, accustomed to the universal rules of boxing. I believe he told them both in the dressing rooms, and in the ring before the fight. Yet, Mayweather is looked at unethical for hitting him in a boxing match. What the hell is he there for? to make love in the ring? Come on.
Martini643 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
caneman
100% AllNatural Xylocaine
East Side Guru

Default Re: How can people say Mayweather was "unethical"

I'm driving and approaching an intersection with a green light. A dog crosses the intersection. I decide it's too much of a hassle to slow down and run over the dog. Police stops me and I tell him that the light was green and had the right of way.

Am I unethical?
caneman is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
cesare-borgia
‹bermensch in fieri
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by caneman View Post
I'm driving and approaching an intersection with a green light. A dog crosses the intersection. I decide it's too much of a hassle to slow down and run over the dog. Police stops me and I tell him that the light was green and had the right of way.

Am I unethical?
More like tell the dog to cross the street then run him over
cesare-borgia is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
compukiller
Champion
East Side Guru

People say that because it's Floyd. If it were the other way around, those same people would be cheering for Ortiz.

Ortiz got exactly what he deserved.
compukiller is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
sosolid4u09
4 8 15 16 23 42
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

its quite easy.
you just speak the words

''Floys is unethical''

there you are
sosolid4u09 is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
Martini643
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caneman View Post

Am I unethical?

You're comparing a dog who has no concept of the rules of the road or anything about the dangers of being in the street to a professional prize fighter who has been given the strict orders to "Protect Yourself at all times"?
Old 09-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #7
san rafael
0.00% lemming
East Side VIP

vCash: 186

Did Ortiz look ready to fight to you?? That's the "ethics" part.

Go ahead and clarify and reclarify that it was a legal shot. Alot of people have wasted bandwith preaching to nobody in particular about that.

But steer clear of questioning why anyone would regard throwing knockout power punches on a guy who has his arms at his sides looking the other way in a boxing ring unethical. You sound like legitimate retard.
san rafael is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 920

Mayweather was very much within his right to hit Ortiz, the bout had restarted after Ortiz's point deduction. Ortiz had his hands out, Mayweather somewhat touched them, Ortiz went for the hug...Mayweather put his guard up like Ortiz should have been and we know what happened from there.

Mayweather punching Ortiz - Legal.
Ortiz headbutting Mayweather NUMEROUS times - Illegal.

Ortiz was not prepared, but that IS his own fault, not Floyd's. I don't believe Mayweather meant to knock him out, he wasn't really planted for the straight right. Mosley took those same shots without flinching, I guess Mayweather probably thought Ortiz would do the same.

Disappointing finish, but very much legal.
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
iceman71
WBC SILVER Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini643 View Post
It seems bizarre to me that people are taking the stance that Floyd is somehow unethical for hitting Victor Ortiz when the ref said "time in". Mayweather clearly followed the rules, Ortiz didn't. How many times does a ref have to say "Remember, protect yourself AT ALL TMES". They are both professional fighters, accustomed to the universal rules of boxing. I believe he told them both in the dressing rooms, and in the ring before the fight. Yet, Mayweather is looked at unethical for hitting him in a boxing match. What the hell is he there for? to make love in the ring? Come on.
having said all that...your argument would actually look better if you mentioned the blatant head butts that were fired at Floyd...and theres a big difference between what Ortiz did...and head butts that happen because of styles...like when idiots give andre ward hell...but his head butts arent thought plans, that when 1 misses...reload the head and fire again... the shot was a cheap shot...but within the rules...ortiz head butt was a cheaper shot not in the rules...have no problem with it....but he should have just bitch slapped and not robbed the fans
iceman71 is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
Davew430
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Let's flip the script...

If Mayweather had intentionally headbutted Ortiz, and had the point deducted, then if Ortiz had hit Floyd and KO'd him in the exact same circumstances, people would be saying "he got what he deserved for headbutting". But because it's Floyd all hell break's lose.

Floyd spotted a way to end the fight early and did so, it wasn't illegal although it was frowned upon, but he did nothing illegal. The problem is the ending of the fight is overshadowing the fact Ortiz used his head blatently several times.

What's happened has happened, it wasn't illegal but it wasn't moral, Floyd did what he had to do to win
Davew430 is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #11
canuckpunch
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

It was a legal punch. Unethical is not the right word. Unsportsmanlike ... maybe not the right word too. But if you want to ask the majority of humanity "Do you want to win that way to be called the greatest boxer that ever lived?", what would they say? Floyd did what he felt was right.... other people too have the right to say anything about the result of the fight. "PERSONALLY", I wouldn't wanna win that way.
canuckpunch is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #12
globenerd
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davew430 View Post
Let's flip the script...

If Mayweather had intentionally headbutted Ortiz, and had the point deducted, then if Ortiz had hit Floyd and KO'd him in the exact same circumstances, people would be saying "he got what he deserved for headbutting". But because it's Floyd all hell break's lose.
Now you flip the script, and see what Floyd fans would be saying.
They'd be going absolutely bonkers, 10 times worse than people are now.
globenerd is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #13
Martini643
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckpunch View Post
It was a legal punch. Unethical is not the right word. Unsportsmanlike ... maybe not the right word too. But if you want to ask the majority of humanity "Do you want to win that way to be called the greatest boxer that ever lived?", what would they say? Floyd did what he felt was right.... other people too have the right to say anything about the result of the fight. "PERSONALLY", I wouldn't wanna win that way.

I don't think Mayweather went INTO this fight looking for a cheap way out. He was schooling Ortiz for the first 3 rounds and would most likely have won a stoppage or late ko. I think he wanted revenge for that cheap shot and basically said "You don't pull that shit on me and walk away from it without getting one back". I don't think Floyd knew he was going to knock him out from those shots. Either way, I don't think this fight would have DEFINED him as the greatest fighter of all time or not anyway.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #14
Davew430
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by globenerd View Post
Now you flip the script, and see what Floyd fans would be saying.
They'd be going absolutely bonkers, 10 times worse than people are now.

I agree 100%...

But it isn't just the Ortiz fan's crying out here, it's everybody who isn't a Floyd fan. I've never known a Boxer hated so much, who people want to see beat so much, even more so than Margarito after the handwrap scandal
Davew430 is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #15
globenerd
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davew430 View Post
I agree 100%...

But it isn't just the Ortiz fan's crying out here, it's everybody who isn't a Floyd fan. I've never known a Boxer hated so much, who people want to see beat so much, even more so than Margarito after the handwrap scandal
Floyd earned all the hate he's getting just like Margarito. You just said it yourself, people that aren't even Ortiz fans are pissed at him, and they have a right to be.
There are now thousands more people who were totally indifferent to Floyd before this fight, that now hate him because of what he did.
Anyone who is honest with themselves can see that Mayweather, not Ortiz, instigated the hug. Ortiz was coming in to touch gloves and Floyd held his arms out, and even nodded to Ortiz for the hug. it was all set up, and Floyd bitched his way out of what was just starting to become a rough fight.

This is not irrational hatred. Floyd has earned it.
globenerd is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum