Hopkins 35 50.72%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2011, 03:12 AM   #1
HellSpawn86
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Hearns vs Hopkins

Both at 160, who you got and how and why?

HellSpawn86 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2011, 03:15 AM   #2
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Hearns vs Hopkins

And where and when?
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2011, 05:01 AM   #3
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Hopkins best weight but not Hearns. It will favor Hopkins obviously. Matters how Hearns fights. If he fights cautious and uses his jab he would win a decision. Tommy beat other greats.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2011, 06:52 AM   #4
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

HEarns has the style to pull this off, not a fight I'd bet on though
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Hearns has a good style here because he can implement attacks with speed. Strictly speaking there's no style which is kryptonite for Hopkins imo, but there is an attribute which is his 'kryptonite' imo, and that is speed. I think Tommy could beat him.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #6
darling dame
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I think Tommy would stop Hop in about 5.
darling dame is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
Brighton bomber
Belt holder
ESB Addict

2 of my all time favourite fighters.

Hearns is one of the few guys who could out box Hopkins so despite not being at his best weight could win should he stick to the right game plan and not get drawn in.

But Hopkins is great at riling opponents and getting in their heads he could very well provoke Hearns to abandon his boxing and get into a fight where Hopkins can counter a reckless Hearns.

Hard to pick a winner, so many variables. I favour Hopkins by the slimmest margin to stop Hearns late, his natural weight advantage, durability and better inside game gives him a slight edge. Hopkins would have to walk through fire to get the win but I think he could do it, but only just.
Brighton bomber is online now  Top
Old 09-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
slicksouthpaw16
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Definitely Hopkins. He could get physical and Hearns wasn't really comfortable in those situations, and Hopkins was the naturally bigger man to make it worse. He wouldn't be physical right off the bat the way Barkley was because he thinks defense first, but he would do it in spots and up the pressure from mid rounds on. I could see him leaning, mauling, and roughing him up like the way he was doing Trinidad and Tarver, wearing him out. I think Hopkins loses most of the early rounds, but comes on strong in the later rounds and stops a faded Hearns.
slicksouthpaw16 is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
Definitely Hopkins. He could get physical and Hearns wasn't really comfortable in those situations, and Hopkins was the naturally bigger man to make it worse. He wouldn't be physical right off the bat the way Barkley was because he thinks defense first, but he would do it in spots and up the pressure from mid rounds on. I could see him leaning, mauling, and roughing him up like the way he was doing Trinidad and Tarver, wearing him out. I think Hopkins loses most of the early rounds, but comes on strong in the later rounds and stops a faded Hearns.
This is how I see it as well.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #10
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Hopkins wasn't as good a finisher as Leonard, but was a better pressure fighter, definitely at MW.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #11
kopejh
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 861

Quote:
Originally Posted by darling dame View Post
I think Tommy would stop Hop in about 5.
that's because you are a retard. dumbass. Hearns would outbox Bhop tho
kopejh is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #12
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tommy
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #13
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Location: You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?
vCash: 1035

I think you guys are assuming that Tommy would let Hopkins make it physical. I see him as being very able to keep Hopkins at the end of his own 1 and 2, and doing damage to boot.
Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
slicksouthpaw16
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarmer View Post
I think you guys are assuming that Tommy would let Hopkins make it physical. I see him as being very able to keep Hopkins at the end of his own 1 and 2, and doing damage to boot.
I personally never seen Hearns show the ability to keep someone (especially someone physically stronger) from getting inside for an entire fight. It wasn't just people like Barkley and Ray that caught up to him, I've seen fighters like Kinchen and Roldan make their way in there as well. I can't see why a rough, crafty vet such as Hopkins couldn't. As i said though, i don't see him coming straight in. I think he would get out worked and out boxed early, avoiding most of the big bombs and slowly start upping the tempo. I actually kinda see it going similar to the Leonard fight (with Hopkins taking less damage due to his superior defense). Hearns stamina was terrible to be honest, and a biger guy like Hopkins leaning on him would just make it worse. I see him becoming more and more vulnerable as the rounds wore on.

This is just to show how effective he can be at leaning on his opponent and wearing them out.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvoSOV4hnaE&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvoSOV4hnaE&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by slicksouthpaw16; 09-12-2011 at 06:00 PM.
slicksouthpaw16 is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #15
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
I personally never seen Hearns show the ability to keep someone (especially someone physically stronger) from getting inside for an entire fight. It wasn't just people like Barkley and Ray that caught up to him, I've seen fighters like Kinchen and Roldan make their way in there as well. I can't see why a rough, crafty vet such as Hopkins couldn't. As i said though, i don't see him coming straight in. I think he would get out worked and out boxed early, avoiding most of the big bombs and slowly start upping the tempo. I actually kinda see it going similar to the Leonard fight (with Hopkins taking less damage due to his superior defense). Hearns stamina was terrible to be honest, and a biger guy like Hopkins leaning on him would just make it worse. I see him becoming more and more vulnerable as the rounds wore on.

This is just to show how effective he can be at leaning on his opponent and wearing them out.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Virgil Hill was stronger than Hearns, but his style was not physical and Hearns controlled him with the jab. And Duran was strong, just that Roberto was not fast enough for Tommy in 1984. It is a matter of speed and it is up to Hearns in this fight to keep Hopkins on the end of the jab and not to get into a physical fight. I think Hearns could do that if he fights smart. Hopkins is good, but the best thing about Hopkins is his ability to find a guys weakness and exploit it. A guy like Roy Jones Jr. was so good it didn't matter if he found a weakness, he was so fast no one could touch him. Hopkins has to find that weakness, that is why he handpicks and does well when he is focused, but remember Hopkins had fights where he did not look good when the other guy was faster. He handpicks well nowadays and the fighters today are not as complete technically as they were 30 years ago.
MAG1965 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum