Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-10-2007, 05:32 AM   #1
KoperniK2004

vCash: 1000
Default My allegiance switched mid-fight

Big Hatton fan - have been for many years.

As the fight unfolded, I was not watching the Hatton I had come to know and love, the Hatton that (I feel) peaked for the Tszyu fight. THe Hatton that would come in like a bull but take a step back to angle in those destructive body shots, the Hatton that would pull out looping uppercuts from 6 inches away and evil body to head to body combinations. This was the Hatton that fought Collazo and Urango; the 'run in, tie up and get off a few ineffectual punches before the ref breaks you up' Hatton.

Where were the angles? Aggression is fine butthis man's game is the body shot and he had ample chance to land some bruising shots but was too busy trying to jam the top of his head into Floyd's chest.

Such a shame - this guy was, at one point, on another level but his style has changed to become one of grappling but without the vicous attacks on the way in and the way out that used to accompany it.

This isn't a jump off the Hatton bandwagon post just because he lost. This is a Hatton fan truly disapoointed at the way he has shifted his style and praying that when he goes back down to 140 that he takes a close look at his last few fights and remembers the style that used to being him so much success.

As a Brit I was somewhat shocked at myself for thinking halfway through the fight, "Just tag Hatton and get it over with." It was horrible to watch, inevitable ending with the way Ricky was fighting. Also what the hell was Billy Graham doing talking to the ref before the fight about letting Hatton fight his fight. If it wasn't an issue before then, Graham sure made it so with that little speech in the dressing rrom. We were cringing watching that.

Props to FMJ - cemented his place at the top.
KoperniK2004 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2007, 05:43 AM   #2
Words
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: My allegiance switched mid-fight

True, compared to his early fights he appears to rely on pressure more, whereas back in the day he'd be much more educated with this pressure, taking someone apart slowly before turning up the heat.

Billy Graham should've kept his stupid ****ing mouth shut. No wonder Cortez was so over-eager.

Hatton may have peaked.
Words is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 05:45 AM   #3
Symphenyceo
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxstuff
Was it perhaps that Floyd was just so effective that Hatton couldn't make his gameplan work?
thats exactly hat it was
Symphenyceo is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 05:52 AM   #4
KoperniK2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxstuff
Was it perhaps that Floyd was just so effective that Hatton couldn't make his gameplan work?
Absolutely that was the case. my point was though that Hatton's gameplan has changed considerably from what it was pre-Tszyu.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:53 AM   #5
grayggr
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Billy Graham can be heard in recent fights telling Ricky to 'stop smothering your work', and I agree with him. Hatton when at his best, although close, leaves enough space to fire off shots to the body and make angles, when smothering he ties up too easily. When at his best and he does tie up, he quickly moves back firing off shots, this is not the case when he smoothers.

Hatton did continue to press forward on Saturday, and did stalk PBF, there were times wehere he did so effectively, he then failed to capitalize. Of course after Floyd had seen how Ricky operated he was able to begin dominace with great accurate punches, negate Hatton moving in, or tag him on the way out. The check hook, when seen in slow motion looks so simple, yet is a thing of beauty. At speed it is even more impressive. Floyd (a surprise to me) was masterful on the inside in negating Hattons work, with his elbow (I'm not complaining by the way) in Hatton's throat/neck.

Hatton needs to regain his inside work, left hooks, without the smothering, he needs to use his footwork to get in, plant his feet, land the hooks and get out. He has the footwork, handspeed and strength to do it against most fighters at LW.
grayggr is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 05:54 AM   #6
JMotrain
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I bet $20 on FMJ to win, but I was rooting for Ricky to pull the upset. I guess I was going to be disappointed either way.
JMotrain is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 05:56 AM   #7
grayggr
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words
True, compared to his early fights he appears to rely on pressure more, whereas back in the day he'd be much more educated with this pressure, taking someone apart slowly before turning up the heat.

Billy Graham should've kept his stupid ****ing mouth shut. No wonder Cortez was so over-eager.

Hatton may have peaked.
I disagree, I think Billy Graham made a sound point about working on the inside as it is Hatton's game. I'm sure they reminded Cortez about Castillo's tendency to throw low blows in the last fight and that worked to their favour. All Billy asked was for a fair fight.
grayggr is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 08:09 AM   #8
Achilles
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoperniK2004

As the fight unfolded, I was not watching the Hatton I had come to know and love, the Hatton that (I feel) peaked for the Tszyu fight. THe Hatton that would come in like a bull but take a step back to angle in those destructive body shots, the Hatton that would pull out looping uppercuts from 6 inches away and evil body to head to body combinations. This was the Hatton that fought Collazo and Urango; the 'run in, tie up and get off a few ineffectual punches before the ref breaks you up' Hatton.

Where were the angles? Aggression is fine butthis man's game is the body shot and he had ample chance to land some bruising shots but was too busy trying to jam the top of his head into Floyd's chest.

Such a shame - this guy was, at one point, on another level but his style has changed to become one of grappling but without the vicous attacks on the way in and the way out that used to accompany it.

This isn't a jump off the Hatton bandwagon post just because he lost. This is a Hatton fan truly disapoointed at the way he has shifted his style and praying that when he goes back down to 140 that he takes a close look at his last few fights and remembers the style that used to being him so much success.

As a Brit I was somewhat shocked at myself for thinking halfway through the fight, "Just tag Hatton and get it over with." It was horrible to watch, inevitable ending with the way Ricky was fighting. Also what the hell was Billy Graham doing talking to the ref before the fight about letting Hatton fight his fight. If it wasn't an issue before then, Graham sure made it so with that little speech in the dressing rrom. We were cringing watching that.

Props to FMJ - cemented his place at the top.

The reason Hatton has looked so shit since leaving the MEN to fight is because he hasn't had Mickey Vann allowing him to get away with his wrestling and fouling continuously!! He hasn't changed his style, the refs have just put a stop to his WWF tactics!!

You put your finger on it exactly without realising what you were saying when you describe his fights against Collazo and Urango! He is ineffectually when the ref doesn't let him wrestle and wear down his opponents! If he's forced to box he is exposed for the hack he always has been!!
Achilles is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 08:12 AM   #9
onceagain
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

yeah billy graham's little speech had me rolling. you could tell cortez was looking at him like, "shut the **** up and quit making a big deal for the camera"

hatton has fought under cortez before and it went just fine... the **** was graham doing
onceagain is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 07:55 AM   #10
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Boxing isnt a game of chess.All this tactics talk is bullshit.Its a simple case of who`s right is might.PBF can adjust in a split second.His the kind of fighter that comes around once in a generation who can stick and move box and bang or stay in the pocket.Hatton can do one thing which is walk forward and throw the left hook to the body and head.He simply wasnt versatile enough.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 07:58 AM   #11
Betty Swollocks
James 'Lights Out' Toney
ESB Addict

it's funny how Hatton's performances have been less convincing against guys who are not tomato cans and old, worn fighters.
Betty Swollocks is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 07:59 AM   #12
K2ray
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
Boxing isnt a game of chess.All this tactics talk is bullshit.Its a simple case of who`s right is might.PBF can adjust in a split second.His the kind of fighter that comes around once in a generation who can stick and move box and bang or stay in the pocket.Hatton can do one thing which is walk forward and throw the left hook to the body and head.He simply wasnt versatile enough.
K2ray is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 08:09 AM   #13
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoperniK2004
So you switch allegiance mid fight, when it looks like Hatton will get beat? Wow. Not the most loyal of fans are you?
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 08:18 AM   #14
KoperniK2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypole
So you switch allegiance mid fight, when it looks like Hatton will get beat? Wow. Not the most loyal of fans are you?
What a shallow view. I just don't happen to blindly follow someone because they are from the same neck of the woods. I thoguht Hatton fought a terrible fight and did nothing to correct the mistakes he'd made against Collazo and Urango. Had Hatton gone in there with a gameplan other than tying up Mayweather and winging in ineffectual straight arm punches then I'd have been jumping up and down shouting for him. By the end of the 3rd round you could see which way it was going and Ricky had no answer for it at all.

Do I think he would have done better had he come in with the same level of fitness and technique as he did earlier in his career? Maybe so but there gets to a point with Hatton, especially if you've followed him since the eearly days that you realise he isn't the fighter he was, regardless of the level of opposition.

'Switched allegiances' is maybe a little harsh, I'm ultimately disappointed at ricky for promises of 'educated aggression' as in the old days and what he delivered was jsut running in, not being able to do a lot and having no plan B whatsoever.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:20 AM   #15
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Tell me what gameplan is there to beat Mayweather? Before the fight everyone bleated on about educated pressure.. hmm that didnt work did it..
scurlaruntings is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum