Old 12-11-2007, 08:06 AM   #16
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Khans potential opponents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypole
It doesn't have to be the next fight. Sometime next year it could happen. I believe Amir Khan's career is not going to last as long as other fighters, he is not robust enough. He is itching to fight the top gus, and I say let him off the leash.
The more "learning" fights he has, the more avoided he's going to be, and could end up like Junior Witter, not fulfilling his potential.
Negative.Khan has ****** behind him and is one of his main cash cows.The kid is promoted well.Witter wasnt.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2007, 08:13 AM   #17
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
Negative.Khan has ****** behind him and is one of his main cash cows.The kid is promoted well.Witter wasnt.
True, but nobody will be milking the teats of a cash cow that's been knocked out by a nobody. I'm just saying that Khan is at risk of developing bad habits that may come back to haunt him. I am a big fan of babtisms of fire.
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 08:21 AM   #18
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

True but ****** isnt.He doesnt let his fighters of the leash unless the financial rewards are worth the risk.Look what he did with JC and Hattons careers.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:31 AM   #19
spenno

i wish kahn would fight thaxton, it's probably a fight ****** could live with

John Thaxton - won 33 (KO 18+ lost 7 (KO 4) + drawn 0 = 40

:edited to fix a typo and make myself look less stupid:

Last edited by spenno; 12-11-2007 at 08:46 AM.
spenno is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 08:36 AM   #20
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Thaxton is a very underrated fighter.Khan would surely have his work cut out with him.Im not sure where you got that record from but Thaxton is a good box puncher who does have decent power.He has at least 20KO`s to his name.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:36 AM   #21
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenno
i wish kahn would fight thaxton, it's probably a fight ****** could live with as well looking at the stats:
John Thaxton - won 33 (KO 1+ lost 7 (KO 4) + drawn 0 = 40

not a lot of KO's there...
Newb
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 08:38 AM   #22
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvickfan
i can see someone with mayweathers style troubling khan
ya think!!! gr8 stuff
Old 12-11-2007, 08:38 AM   #23
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenno
i wish kahn would fight thaxton, it's probably a fight ****** could live with
****** has already stated that Earl was better than Thaxton. I know it was laughable drivel, but to put Khan in against Thaxton would make him (******) look foolish.
Jon Thaxton would have to have a good win before ****** would let the fight happen.
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 08:41 AM   #24
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
****** has already stated that Earl was better than Thaxton. I know it was laughable drivel, but to put Khan in against Thaxton would make him (******) look foolish.
Jon Thaxton would have to have a good win before ****** would let the fight happen.
? Earl has a more impressive resume then Thaxton.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:48 AM   #25
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Earls career has been a gift.His an average fighter who`s been brought along comfortably.He got a gift vs Vanzie in BOTH of there fights, struggled with Steve Murray (despite getting the KO) got another gift vs Romanov, struggled with Kevin Bennett moved up in class and was stopped in brutal fashion against Katsidis.His nothing more than a fringe contender if that.But despite this he did have the tools to deal with Khan.Khan surprised me immensely.I do think Earl should have got a standing 10 count but you cant really complain as he was hurt by the first punch that landed on the button.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:04 AM   #26
Olu G. Rotimi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Khan did well and is improving but to put him in with a genuine world class fighter or any of the world champions at Lightweight would be a mistake. ****** compared khan to Sugar Ray Leonard which is rubbish. Khan is no where near that good and never will be. He is more like Oscar De La Hoya and needs to be matched carefully. A fight with Katsidis at this stage would be a grave and fatal error.

Khan will look devastating against the right opposition but he has some in built glaring and fatal weaknesses in his make up. He can dominate Lightweight in the UK and Europe. At world level please don't go after any of the champions or recent champions called Diaz. At Light Welterweight he knows who must be avoided at all costs.
Olu G. Rotimi is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 09:12 AM   #27
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

All I will say to anyone getting carried away with Khans capabilities is look at that little Gamboa fella.... watch his performances then look at the records of his opposition. Khan was sensational Vs Earl but it really will take consistant performances like that before we can start comparing him to anyone like Sugar ray lol.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:20 AM   #28
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
? Earl has a more impressive resume then Thaxton.
True, but I would say the decisions he got against Vanzie were iffy to say the least. He had a vew lucky breaks, but I would say he deserved the nod against Romanov.
Thaxton's resume may not be quite as good as Earl's, but for ****** to say Thaxton was behind Earl was a joke. Jon Thaxton may be in the twilight of his career, but let's be honest, he definately would have done better than Earl against Khan.
Katsidis gave Earl such a sustained beating, (and don't forget this was at the end of a career of hard fights), that he was still feeling it when he came out against Khan. Those punches he took against Khan were simply the "coup de gras" that Katsidis was denied.
Frank ****** is certainly very skilled at guiding fighters to success, but his choice of opponents for his proteges sometimes leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 09:44 AM   #29
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

I agree With your points Claypole but can see why ****** made a statement like he did. I'd love Thaxton- Khan now? Why not PPV Khan-Thaxton, Calzaghe- Woods and Hatton- Witter.... now that would be a war of the roses.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:47 AM   #30
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
I agree With your points Claypole but can see why ****** made a statement like he did. I'd love Thaxton- Khan now? Why not PPV Khan-Thaxton, Calzaghe- Woods and Hatton- Witter.... now that would be a war of the roses.
I would pay money for that.That would be one of the greatest ALL British cards of ALL TIME.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum