Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-14-2007, 06:22 PM   #46
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Max Baer vs. Gene Tunney 15rds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeezzard
That is my point, Janitor.Max should have beaten Braddock easy.
Why? Braddock was a completely different fighter to the one that had been beaten so thoroughly over the previous years, everyone agreed upon this from Johny Dundee to Tommy Loughran. The Braddock that beat Baer was an excellent fighter who would have beaten an awful lot of pure punchers (in fact Braddock's record against pure punchers actually wasn't that bad even in spite of the wilderness years).

I'll go further. Braddock would have beaten Baer something like 9/10, regardless of Baer's preperation.
McGrain is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2007, 06:33 PM   #47
Joe E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Why? Braddock was a completely different fighter to the one that had been beaten so thoroughly over the previous years, everyone agreed upon this from Johny Dundee to Tommy Loughran. The Braddock that beat Baer was an excellent fighter who would have beaten an awful lot of pure punchers (in fact Braddock's record against pure punchers actually wasn't that bad even in spite of the wilderness years).

I'll go further. Braddock would have beaten Baer something like 9/10, regardless of Baer's preperation.
What? First you say Braddock was the kind of Fighter Baer had chewed up and then ask why Baer would have beaten Him?
Again, my point is Braddock was a Boxer not a Puncher.Not as good as Tunney,but a Boxer still.Baer had problems with Boxers,People that moved.Baer had to plant his Feet to punch,he would'nt been able to do that with Tunney.
Joe E is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2007, 06:38 PM   #48
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
What? First you say Braddock was the kind of Fighter Baer had chewed up and then ask why Baer would have beaten Him?
I think you are confusing me with Janitor. He is less handsome and more obsessed than me.

Quote:
Again, my point is Braddock was a Boxer not a Puncher.Not as good as Tunney,but a Boxer still.Baer had problems with Boxers,People that moved.Baer had to plant his Feet to punch,he would'nt been able to do that with Tunney.
Braddock was, first and foremost, a puncher. He was a box-puncher by the time he took on Baer. Basically this involved a properly developed left. Beautifully in fact.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:44 PM   #49
Joe E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I think you are confusing me with Janitor. He is less handsome and more obsessed than me.

Braddock was, first and foremost, a puncher. He was a box-puncher by the time he took on Baer. Basically this involved a properly developed left. Beautifully in fact.
Sorry Dude,my mistake,never mind.
Joe E is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2007, 06:46 PM   #50
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Sorry Dude,my mistake,never mind.
There are worse posters to be confused with.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #51
Joe E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
There are worse posters to be confused with.
O.K.
Joe E is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2007, 08:12 PM   #52
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:

Quote:

Not popular opinion, but certainly not undefendable. I've grown to appreciate Braddock a bit more, his record is somewhat deceiving. I believe he deserved every bit of the heavyweight championship and should get full credit for it instead of "being lucky because Bear clowned", "Baer was afraid to murder him" etc. Bullshit! Baer was simply outboxed and had little skill himself which meant trouble if his opponent had the chin to take his punch.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2007, 10:17 PM   #53
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I believe Gene Tunney would give Max Baer his ultimate boxing lesson, and a beating to go along with it. He wouldn't deck Max, but Tunney would virtually shut out his man over 15 rounds. I swear, Gene Tunney remains to this very minute, the most painfully underrated heavyweight champion of history.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2007, 10:19 PM   #54
Joe E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra
I believe Gene Tunney would give Max Baer his ultimate boxing lesson, and a beating to go along with it. He wouldn't deck Max, but Tunney would virtually shut out his man over 15 rounds. I swear, Gene Tunney remains to this very minute, the most painfully underrated heavyweight champion of history.
Joe E is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2007, 10:22 PM   #55
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Even if he was completely primed and ready, Max would have absolutely to chance against Gene Tunney, who in every way, was superior to James Braddock. I say all this as a fan not only of Gene Tunney, but also of Max Baer. Baer lost to Tommy Loughran, who was a smaller version of Gene Tunney, and it would have been a long, totally frustrating night of futility for Max.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2007, 11:01 PM   #56
BIG DEE
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

BIG DEE HERE= Baer broke his right hand early in the fight and hurt his left
late around the 12th rd. Baer fought the whole fight with his main weapon
gone. The Irishman had a hard head ask Joe Louis as he said later in life that Braddock took punches in their fight that leveled other fighters. LOUIS ALWAYS SAID HIS RESPECT FOR BRADDOCK AS A FIGHT WAS IMMENSE AS HE WAS
A DAMN GOOD FIGHTER AN UNDERRATED PUNCHER. LOUIS SAID HIS RIGHT HAND WAS DAMN HARD AND EVERY TIME IT LANDED IT HURT.
BIG DEE is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum