Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 09-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #16
Ncc84
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 160
Default Re: is 24 too old?

No, it's not too late. If you're already in good shape then you can give it a go. liston and marciano were in their twenties when they started to box.
When you say make a career do you mean as a pro using boxing as your primary income, that might be tough, as you could expect it to be a few years before you are making enough to live off
Ncc84 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #17
cesare-borgia
‹bermensch in fieri
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOUsV6YmvSk[/ame]

dont listen to people that say you cant do it
cesare-borgia is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #18
FJAY360
The Art Of Event Winning
ESB Addict

vCash: 187

No, there are plenty of fighters that didn't take up boxing until their mid 20's.
FJAY360 is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #19
carlos200587
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncc84 View Post
No, it's not too late. If you're already in good shape then you can give it a go. liston and marciano were in their twenties when they started to box.
When you say make a career do you mean as a pro using boxing as your primary income, that might be tough, as you could expect it to be a few years before you are making enough to live off
i mean become a decent level pro, decent record not some journey man.

i have a primary source of income, but would dedicate myself to boxing fully with the time i have available.
carlos200587 is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #20
HellSpawn86
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos200587 View Post
hi guys,

i've been a fan of the sport for the last 10 years and consider to be myself a tough cookie to crack.

I'm 5'8 145pounds and have just started boxing about 4 months ago, i want to give it a proper shot...what i'm wondering is, is 24 too old to start from bottom and actually attempt to make a proper carreer out of it?

appreciate your advice.

Carlos

***sorry i posted this in classic section by mistake***
It depends, what is your goal? What sports have you done? Have you done any boxing training? What is your access to quality trainers, sparring partners, etc.

If your goal is to become a champion and famous, your clock is running out. You are in your physical prime, but your skill set probably won't reach elite levels until 5 years from now and that is if you are dedicated and your body won't be in it's physical prime.

If you are able to pay for better trainers, and I don't mean famous because they don't have time, but people with winning records for amateurs then that would be a good investment. Otherwise you are paying for crap and your skill set won't get very far.

If your goal is to fight because you love it, then go for it. You can have some fights and become a winning professional regardless of where you get, then you have as much time as you'd like to put into it. If just might not be highest paying job and there will be crooked deals you may have to deal with.

I've known folks to get into the game late and do well. I have a friend who got into it at age 30, actually for MMA, but he loved boxing more so he's trying to start a career there. He is 35 now (he looks 2, but he has beaten golden gloves and some of the lower level professionals. I do credit his work ethic, but I credit the boxing coach more because he guided him on solid technique so he never learned crap technique.
HellSpawn86 is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #21
carlos200587
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesare-borgia View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

dont listen to people that say you cant do it
will watch this after work, thanks
Old 09-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #22
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

It's a disadvantage but...so what?

Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #23
carlos200587
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSpawn86 View Post
It depends, what is your goal? What sports have you done? Have you done any boxing training? What is your access to quality trainers, sparring partners, etc.

If your goal is to become a champion and famous, your clock is running out. You are in your physical prime, but your skill set probably won't reach elite levels until 5 years from now and that is if you are dedicated and your body won't be in it's physical prime.

If you are able to pay for better trainers, and I don't mean famous because they don't have time, but people with winning records for amateurs then that would be a good investment. Otherwise you are paying for crap and your skill set won't get very far.

If your goal is to fight because you love it, then go for it. You can have some fights and become a winning professional regardless of where you get, then you have as much time as you'd like to put into it. If just might not be highest paying job and there will be crooked deals you may have to deal with.

I've known folks to get into the game late and do well. I have a friend who got into it at age 30, actually for MMA, but he loved boxing more so he's trying to start a career there. He is 35 now (he looks 2, but he has beaten golden gloves and some of the lower level professionals. I do credit his work ethic, but I credit the boxing coach more because he guided him on solid technique so he never learned crap technique.
please refer to my earlier post.thanks for all your advice.

this always gets me...i reckon i'm a late bloomer, honestly the older i get the stronger/ more confident in my skills i feel,i reckon my peak will be late 20's early 30's as per my family history
Old 09-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #24
HellSpawn86
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos200587 View Post
please refer to my earlier post.thanks for all your advice.

this always gets me...i reckon i'm a late bloomer, honestly the older i get the stronger/ more confident in my skills i feel,i reckon my peak will be late 20's early 30's as per my family history
Yeah I wrote that piece while the conversation kept flowing so I wasn't able to read it until after, haha.
HellSpawn86 is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #25
carlos200587
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSpawn86 View Post
Yeah I wrote that piece while the conversation kept flowing so I wasn't able to read it until after, haha.
thanks dude
Old 09-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #26
lepinthehood
Belt holder
ESB Addict

good pro. doubt it
good amateur, absolutely.
im 20 and starting up again, depends how fast you can learn.
lepinthehood is online now  Top
Old 09-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #27
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

If you train hard and learn the ins and outs of the skillset and do well in the amateurs then you could do alright. You need to build up allot of amateur background before you think about turning pro otherwise you'll get royally abused. The problem is you're up against other boxers that know so much more about boxing than you do and are conditioned to fight. You're playing serious catch up and if your playing serious catch up with a trainer that isn't much cop then.........

BTW the first time you get smacked in the nose in sparring you might not fancy going back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
It's a disadvantage but...so what?

I read he was a pro footballer before turning to boxing as a 20yo. Seems like a natural athlete. A better example would be Nate Campbell
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #28
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
If you train hard and learn the ins and outs of the skillset and do well in the amateurs then you could do alright. You need to build up allot of amateur background before you think about turning pro otherwise you'll get royally abused. The problem is you're up against other boxers that know so much more about boxing than you do and are conditioned to fight. You're playing serious catch up and if your playing serious catch up with a trainer that isn't much cop then.........

BTW the first time you get smacked in the nose in sparring you might not fancy going back

I read he was a pro footballer before turning to boxing as a 20yo. Seems like a natural athlete. A better example would be Nate Campbell
Did I need to match the exact age or are you just being all cuntybollocks today?
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #29
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

It is easier at heavyweight where less skill is involved. Giving up a decade in experience to a boxer who has fought since he was a young kid can be a lot to make up for but if you have the talent and the determination, you can make it. It also depends on whether you're thinking of being a multi-division world champion and p4p legend or a boxer who can handle himself in the ring. If your objective is the latter then by all means try it out. Otherwise you may end up being disappointed.

Too many people give up on themselves and their dreams at a relatively young age already.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #30
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Did I need to match the exact age or are you just being all cuntybollocks today?
What do you mean TODAY????
PowerPuncher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing