Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-10-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
JimboDs
So-called expert
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Am I the only one who thought Joe Cortez...

... did a terrible Job ref'ing that fight?

I know that people tend to see fights differently depending on what kinds of styles they like, who they want to win, etc., but this is how I saw it:

It seemed to me that Cortez was determined to not allow that bout to be an inside fight and I go so far as to say that he was crooked in favor Mayweather:

1) He broke the fighters prematurely on several occasions instead of letting the in-fighting take it's due course. An inside fight was Hatton's only chance at victory over the faster/craftier boxer.

2) He never warned Floyd for clinching even though he was doing it constantly. Granted, Mayweather was slick enough to do it on the opposite side of Cortez almost every time, but Cortez wasn't making much of an effort to catch him.

3) Cortez warned Mayweather for using his forearms ONCE when he used them (and his elbows a few times) constantly and often blatantly when Hatton made it inside. No point was ever taken.

4) Cortez penalized Hatton for hitting Floyd on the back of the head when every instance was the result Floyd either turning around or bending way over. So what is Hatton supposed to do when he has Floyd trapped on the ropes or in the corner? Let him out and not hit him Just because Mayweather won't face him?

The whole thing stunk to me. I'm not saying Hatton would have won, but I think he did abandon his gameplan and lose his composure as a result of the poor ref'ing.

It's a shame because I think it would have been a much better fight.

By the way, I don't have an extreme dislike for Floyd like a lot of people do, but I do have a tendency to pull for the underdog in most fights. This is just the way I saw it.
JimboDs is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2007, 08:38 PM   #2
they_killed_kenny
Underdogs on top :)
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 90
Default Re: Am I the only one who thought Joe Cortez...

Smoger shoulda been the referee......he would have let hatton got for 1 more rnd.................

..............just to get his ass whooped even more in the next
they_killed_kenny is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1195

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboDs
... did a terrible Job ref'ing that fight?

I know that people tend to see fights differently depending on what kinds of styles they like, who they want to win, etc., but this is how I saw it:

It seemed to me that Cortez was determined to not allow that bout to be an inside fight and I go so far as to say that he was crooked in favor Mayweather:

1) He broke the fighters prematurely on several occasions instead of letting the in-fighting take it's due course. An inside fight was Hatton's only chance at victory over the faster/craftier boxer.

2) He never warned Floyd for clinching even though he was doing it constantly. Granted, Mayweather was slick enough to do it on the opposite side of Cortez almost every time, but Cortez wasn't making much of an effort to catch him.

3) Cortez warned Mayweather for using his forearms ONCE when he used them (and his elbows a few times) constantly and often blatantly when Hatton made it inside. No point was ever taken.

4) Cortez penalized Hatton for hitting Floyd on the back of the head when every instance was the result Floyd either turning around or bending way over. So what is Hatton supposed to do when he has Floyd trapped on the ropes or in the corner? Let him out and not hit him Just because Mayweather won't face him?

The whole thing stunk to me. I'm not saying Hatton would have won, but I think he did abandon his gameplan and lose his composure as a result of the poor ref'ing.

It's a shame because I think it would have been a much better fight.

By the way, I don't have an extreme dislike for Floyd like a lot of people do, but I do have a tendency to pull for the underdog in most fights. This is just the way I saw it.
Yeah, he did a shitty job.
Slothrop is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 08:40 PM   #4
BOSTONREDSOX
The Ghost
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

horrible job
BOSTONREDSOX is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 08:40 PM   #5
they_killed_kenny
Underdogs on top :)
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 90

Oh yeah sorry about that, thats not the topic

Cortez did not do a good job, like u said he stop the action even before a clinch, watch carefully and ull see, and the point deduction can be agued but i believe he shoulda gave floyd at least a warning for holding and turning his head too, at least a warning u know....

Cortez was not a good choice, Smogger shoudla been
they_killed_kenny is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 08:54 PM   #6
Brooklyn Boxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2000

I think he did alright. He did have his bad moments like taking a point away but I don't have a problem with breaking them up because he didn't want Hatton to hold him and make it a holding contest. He had better nights but I don't he was paid off or something.
Brooklyn Boxer is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
JimboDs
So-called expert
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Boxer
I think he did alright. He did have his bad moments like taking a point away but I don't have a problem with breaking them up because he didn't want Hatton to hold him and make it a holding contest. He had better nights but I don't he was paid off or something.
Hatton wasn't getting inside to hold though. Floyd was doing the majority of the holding. He was trying to get into position to punch at close range so that he could nullify Mayweather's speed and reach advantage. He would have been an idiot to try and box Mayweather from the outside. By getting in close and throwing short punches, he was getting Mayweather in the corner or on the ropes where he couldn't use all his tools. It was a good strategy, but the Ref not only broke them several times before they were tangled up, but did nothing about Floyd's holding or blatant elbows and forearms to Ricky's face when he was on the ropes.
JimboDs is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 09:00 PM   #8
djm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Poor job - if this many people are talking about the ref, it can't be a good thing; especially when everone agrees the result would have been the same. A better reffing job just would have meant a better fight, but not necessarily a different result.
djm is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #9
Symphenyceo
Champion
East Side Guru

haton fans complain about this fight but see nothing wrong with the tszyu fight
Symphenyceo is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #10
HandsOfGold
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

It's Joe Cortez's world. We're just living in it.
HandsOfGold is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 09:02 PM   #11
Beckjl
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

If you are watching a good ref you don't even know he is there.
Beckjl is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 09:02 PM   #12
TRUEBELIEVER 66
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It's all a moot point, Hatton was not going to win no matter who the ref was..
TRUEBELIEVER 66 is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 09:03 PM   #13
Ric Zenbach

If we were in school, I'd give him a C+. He was not all that great, but referees are always sterio-typed as being blind you know? I am sure he'll see a replay and think "Shit, I missed that one." I refereed wrestling before, and you need to think fast in a good match, as fast as the competitors. Also, NFL refs' get instant replay, combat sports do not. I noticed in round 9 Hatton DRILLED Mayweather in the back of the head with a hammer punch, WAY illegal. Cortez did nothing. I think you imply he was one sided to Mayweather's side, I say he just was not as good as many other refs' could have been. In absolutely no way shape or form was there any fix though.
Ric Zenbach is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 09:04 PM   #14
JimboDs
So-called expert
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphenyceo
haton fans complain about this fight but see nothing wrong with the tszyu fight
I'm not a Hatton fan. I'm just a boxing fan that paid 54.95 to watch this fight and thought that it was shittier because of Joe Cortez.
JimboDs is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 09:05 PM   #15
Symphenyceo
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboDs
I'm not a Hatton fan. I'm just a boxing fan that paid 54.95 to watch this fight and thought that it was shittier because of Joe Cortez.
i payed for the fight also and i didnt want a wrestling match

Last edited by Thread Stealer; 11-02-2006 at 07:19 PM.
Symphenyceo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum