Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-10-2007, 09:06 PM   #16
JimboDs
So-called expert
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Am I the only one who thought Joe Cortez...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Zenbach
If we were in school, I'd give him a C+. He was not all that great, but referees are always sterio-typed as being blind you know? I am sure he'll see a replay and think "Shit, I missed that one." I refereed wrestling before, and you need to think fast in a good match, as fast as the competitors. Also, NFL refs' get instant replay, combat sports do not. I noticed in round 9 Hatton DRILLED Mayweather in the back of the head with a hammer punch, WAY illegal. Cortez did nothing. I think you imply he was one sided to Mayweather's side, I say he just was not as good as many other refs' could have been. In absolutely no way shape or form was there any fix though.
It may not have been fixed, but I firmly believe that Cortez was determined not to let it be an inside fight, which put Hatton at a severe disadvantage.
JimboDs is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2007, 09:07 PM   #17
Brooklyn Boxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboDs
Hatton wasn't getting inside to hold though. Floyd was doing the majority of the holding. He was trying to get into position to punch at close range so that he could nullify Mayweather's speed and reach advantage. He would have been an idiot to try and box Mayweather from the outside. By getting in close and throwing short punches, he was getting Mayweather in the corner or on the ropes where he couldn't use all his tools. It was a good strategy, but the Ref not only broke them several times before they were tangled up, but did nothing about Floyd's holding or blatant elbows and forearms to Ricky's face when he was on the ropes.

It doesn't matter who was going to hold he just wanted the fight not to be a holding contest. Hatton is known to make it a holding contest and he wanted to stop the holding. That doesn't mean Hatton couldn't get inside and fight his fight but Hatton wanted to get inside to hold and hit and Cortez wasn't going to let him do that. I think Cortez had a bad night but he didn't do anything to change the outcome of the fight.
Brooklyn Boxer is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 09:07 PM   #18
JimboDs
So-called expert
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphenyceo
i payed for the fight also and i didnt want a wrestling match
Floyd was the one doing the clinching. He didn't want an inside fight either.
JimboDs is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #19
Brooklyn Boxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Hatton still could fight inside without holding but he doesn't do it. The way Hatton fights inside is holding the fighter and Cortez was not gonna let him hold the whole night.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:12 PM   #20
JimboDs
So-called expert
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Boxer
It doesn't matter who was going to hold he just wanted the fight not to be a holding contest. Hatton is known to make it a holding contest and he wanted to stop the holding. That doesn't mean Hatton couldn't get inside and fight his fight but Hatton wanted to get inside to hold and hit and Cortez wasn't going to let him do that. I think Cortez had a bad night but he didn't do anything to change the outcome of the fight.
I didn't say he necessarily changed the outcome. He was horribly inconsistent and broke them prematurely on many occasions. Some people seem to disagree with that though. I don't see how, but I'm not going to spend too much energy trying to figure it out.

In-fighting is a part of boxing. It's not just about the clean punching people want to see in Rocky movies. It might be more entertaining to the casual fan, but if you take that tool off the table in a fight, you can severely disadvantage one fighter depending on styles.
JimboDs is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 09:14 PM   #21
Ramshall1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Cortez was posing for Pics with Floyd after the fight. After that horrible job he did he should have been pelted with full cans of Guiness.
Ramshall1 is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 09:15 PM   #22
JimboDs
So-called expert
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Boxer
Hatton still could fight inside without holding but he doesn't do it. The way Hatton fights inside is holding the fighter and Cortez was not gonna let him hold the whole night.
I didn't see Hatton warned for holding and hitting once, though I've seen fighters warned for it in other fights.

I plan to watch the fight again, but the first time around I recall seeing Floyd doing a lot more holding on the inside.
JimboDs is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 09:20 PM   #23
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1195

It's not so much that Cortez got on Hatton, it's that Floyd was doing more than his fair share of dirty shit that Cortez just let slide.
Slothrop is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 09:20 PM   #24
Mindspring
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphenyceo
i payed for the fight also and i didnt want a wrestling match
He was a Floyd butt boy.
Mindspring is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 09:22 PM   #25
wansen

vCash:

I don't think the outcome would have been any different however, he (Cortez) was worse than terrible....he must have screamed "STOP!" 50 times or more. As if he expected the fighters to be robots and "STOP!" instantly on his screaming command. He's always been over-officious to say the least, and at times almost hostile. He was screaming at Hatton within the first 10 seconds and I can't count how many times he found it necessary to break the fighters within 2 seconds of them getting 'tied up'. Why not do what most other (good) refs do and give them a chance to "fight or get out of there".

IMO, he tainted the fight with his constant screaming of "STOP!" and severely
and negatively impacted the flow. He acted as though it was the "Joe Cortez referee show" instead of a world-class bout.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #26
Brooklyn Boxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I agree Cortez should have warn PBF more but Holding and hitting is not a style and thats what Hatton does in most fights. Hatton could still fight inside without holding. I think Cortez just took away the holding part of the fight.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #27
Symphenyceo
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindspring
He was a Floyd butt boy.

childish...just sad
Symphenyceo is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 09:25 PM   #28
BOSTONREDSOX
The Ghost
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by wansen
I don't think the outcome would have been any different however, he (Cortez) was worse than terrible....he must have screamed "STOP!" 50 times or more. As if he expected the fighters to be robots and "STOP!" instantly on his screaming command. He's always been over-officious to say the least, and at times almost hostile. He was screaming at Hatton within the first 10 seconds and I can't count how many times he found it necessary to break the fighters within 2 seconds of them getting 'tied up'. Why not do what most other (good) refs do and give them a chance to "fight or get out of there".

IMO, he tainted the fight with his constant screaming of "STOP!" and severely
and negatively impacted the flow. He acted as though it was the "Joe Cortez referee show" instead of a world-class bout.
BOSTONREDSOX is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 09:26 PM   #29
rodney
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ridky Hatton is one of the dirtiest fighter in the sport.
Floyd showed that he could mix it in close and give Ricky some of his own stuff back.
If Floyd didnt have his forearm up, he would have surely been headbutted all nite long.
Bottom line, its a boxing match --- not wrestling or the octigon.
Joe Cortez did a great job in trying to keep it a boxing match and maintain some sort of control to avoid a foulfest and possibly a disqualification.
Ricky Hatton lost.
No one told Ricky to lead with his face.
rodney is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2007, 09:28 PM   #30
BOSTONREDSOX
The Ghost
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney
Ridky Hatton is one of the dirtiest fighter in the sport.
Floyd showed that he could mix it in close and give Ricky some of his own stuff back.
If Floyd didnt have his forearm up, he would have surely been headbutted all nite long.
Bottom line, its a boxing match --- not wrestling or the octigon.
Joe Cortez did a great job in trying to keep it a boxing match and maintain some sort of control to avoid a foulfest and possibly a disqualification.
Ricky Hatton lost.
No one told Ricky to lead with his face.
give me a ****in break
BOSTONREDSOX is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum