Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Will Floyd Mayweather Be As Good At Age 36 As Joe Calzaghe Was & Sergio Martinez Is?
Yes, Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Be As Good As Martinez & Calzaghe At Age 36 23 76.67%
No, Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Not Be As Good As Martinez & Calzaghe At Age 36 4 13.33%
I'm Not Sure If Mayweather Will Be As Good As Martinez & Calzaghe At Age 36 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Will Floyd Mayweather Be As Good At Age 36 As Joe Calzaghe Was & Sergio Martinez Is?

Poll above and leave your comments below.

I was thinking last night about this question: Will a 36-year-old Floyd Mayweather -- who is likely to be fighting at the age of 36 since he will probably be at least 35 the next time he fights -- be as good of a fighter at that age as two other men were who fought at the age of 36: Joe Calzaghe and Sergio Martinez.

First, let's take a look at records.

Sergio Martinez (36 yrs old) -----------------> 47-2-2 --- (51 fights)
Joe Calzaghe (36 yrs old for last 2 fights) ----> 46-0 ----- (46 fights)
Floyd Mayweather Jr. (34 years old) ---------> 42-0 ----- (42 fights)

All three men rely/relied heavily on the inherent athletic attributes of speed (hand and foot), reflexes and timing. That is, they are/were less likely to age well than fighters such as Bernard Hopkins, who relies more on his amazing boxing skill and Ring IQ than his athletic gifts.

At age 35-plus, Sergio Martinez crushed former undisputed middleweight king Kelly Pavlik and destroyed former two-division world champion Paul Williams. At the age of 36, Martinez obliterated highly-regarded and then-unbeaten former light-middleweight kingpin Serhiy Dzinziruk.

In the Dzinziruk bout, Martinez demonstrated little deterioration of his formidable athletic gifts, despite having been in 51 career bouts. We will learn more about where Maravilla's abilities are when he faces Darren Barker in a couple of weeks.

Former boxer Joe Calzaghe fought two of his three toughest fights after he turned 35 years old. The Welshman easily decisioned an unbeaten and feared Mikkel Kessler when Calzaghe was 35, and the Pride Of Wales capably handled an all-time great in Bernard Hopkins (who himself was 43 at the time) after the first few rounds of their bout when Calzaghe was 36 years old.

If that were not enough, Calzaghe easily defeated an outgunned (and ancient at 39 years old, given his skill set) Roy Jones, Jr. when Calzaghe was 36 years old before the certain Hall Of Famer (Calzaghe in this case) stepped away from the game.

In those final three bouts, Calzaghe showed few signs of decline. While certainly not at his peak, the Welshman still seemed to possess most of his timing, reflexes and foot speed and movement in his 44th, 45th and 46th professional bouts.

Floyd Mayweather has fought 42 times and will soon be 35 years old. In his match against Victor Ortiz, Mayweather still seemed to posses excellent hand speed, timing and reflexes. There could be some questions about his foot speed and movement, however, as Mayweather now seems to be more of a flat-footed fighter than in his younger days. But that style is working for him presently, much as it worked for all-time great Pernell Whitaker as his own career progressed.

If Floyd is to fight even three more times, then it seems as though he is likely to be fighting past his 36th birthday. The questions then go out to the reader:

* Will Mayweather be as good at 36 years old as Martinez is and Calzaghe was?

* Will Mayweather retain his athletic gifts as well as Martinez and Calzaghe did when he is 36 years old?

* If Mayweather does not retain his athletic gifts as well as Martinez and Calzaghe did at the age of 36, does it matter? That is, can a possibly-increasingly-flat-footed Floyd Mayweather, Jr. be just as effective as earlier versions of Floyd Mayweather, Jr. or the 36-year-old versions of Martinez and Calzaghe?

I don't have the answers, but I was intrigued by the questions. What do you think?

paulfv is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2011, 01:06 AM   #2
Leon
The Artful Dodger
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Will Floyd Mayweather Be As Good At Age 36 As Joe Calzaghe Was & Sergio Martinez

I think Floyd will be done with boxing @ 35 after he beats emmanuel and Amir next year.
Leon is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2011, 01:08 AM   #3
Boxing Fanatic
P4P King
East Side VIP

Default Re: Will Floyd Mayweather Be As Good At Age 36 As Joe Calzaghe Was & Sergio Martinez

those guys r just in incredible shape. im hoping if the challenges r still there, he keeps fight 'til then or later
Boxing Fanatic is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2011, 01:08 AM   #4
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

I think Floyd will be done with boxing @ 35 after he beats emmanuel and Amir next year.
Manny will definitely be out of the game at 36, that's for sure. He's just 32 years old, but he already has 58 fights.
paulfv is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2011, 01:14 AM   #5
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 9633

Floyd seems to have changed his style up. Fighting more flat footed (i'm assuming because he's lost a step) behind the high guard. This style requires less natural reflexes than his fight off the back foot and counter everything type style. If he fights like this, he should be a top level fighter for a few more years for sure. Really, his skill level is so amazing that even if he loses some of his natural speed/reflexes, he'll pretty much beat anyone at or around his weight class outside of Pacman.

So yeah.
klion22 is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2011, 01:16 AM   #6
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by klion22 View Post

Floyd seems to have changed his style up. Fighting more flat footed (i'm assuming because he's lost a step) behind the high guard. This style requires less natural reflexes than his fight off the back foot and counter everything type style. If he fights like this, he should be a top level fighter for a few more years for sure. Really, his skill level is so amazing that even if he loses some of his natural speed/reflexes, he'll pretty much beat anyone at or around his weight class outside of Pacman.

So yeah.
Great post, thanks! I happen to agree with your assessment, too.
paulfv is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2011, 01:21 AM   #7
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 9633

At the same time, fighting more flat footed could spell disaster if he fights Pacman. We saw the few times when Mayweather was vulnerable against Ortiz was when Ortiz came forward and just let his hands go. Mayweather couldn't avoid all the shots. Imagine Pac throwing those shots. I think Floyd would have to play the counter puncher to have the best shot at winning. Exchanging with Pacman could spell doom for Floyd. Even Floyd won't be able to see all the shots coming as no one throws from the angles Pac does. But what an amazing fight it would be if they let their hands go.
klion22 is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2011, 01:29 AM   #8
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

At the same time, fighting more flat footed could spell disaster if he fights Pacman. We saw the few times when Mayweather was vulnerable against Ortiz was when Ortiz came forward and just let his hands go. Mayweather couldn't avoid all the shots. Imagine Pac throwing those shots. I think Floyd would have to play the counter puncher to have the best shot at winning. Exchanging with Pacman could spell doom for Floyd. Even Floyd won't be able to see all the shots coming as no one throws from the angles Pac does. But what an amazing fight it would be if they let their hands go.
Another great post, but I will add this comment: Pacquiao is starting to slow down. He has said so himself. So, he could be a bit on the slide when the two men meet.

Also, Ortiz is much bigger than Pacquiao.

But I know what you're saying and you have a good point. Nice!

paulfv is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2011, 08:39 AM   #9
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxing Fanatic View Post

those guys r just in incredible shape. im hoping if the challenges r still there, he keeps fight 'til then or later
Floyd could be all done at age 35. I guess we'll find out soon enough!
paulfv is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #10
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 462

Pac's "angles" are only so great because he's fighting guys who don't move or come straight at him. Guys who go off the back foot give him a ton of trouble because he can't move in or out.

Floyd's hand speed and reflexes are still elite, and he's the best technician I've ever seen. He should be fine for 3 more fights(2 years)
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #11
mancat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
You should keep in mind that Ortiz was 14 pounds heavier than Mayweather. This may have been why he was able to push Mayweather to the ropes. The only time Ortiz had any success was when Mayweather was on the ropes, and it showed by Ortiz's 18 percent connect rate.
mancat is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #12
KO-KING
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 119

Joe calzaghe's reflexes slowed down in his final few fights
KO-KING is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2011, 09:42 AM   #13
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO-KING View Post

Joe calzaghe's reflexes slowed down in his final few fights
Fair point. Calzaghe was not what he was in his prime at that point, but he still had most of his ability. In particular, his movement was still at a very high level, IMO.
paulfv is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum