Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
kirky c
white mike
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: manchester
Posts: 171
vCash: 500
Default stance and balance

when ever i go on pads with the head coach at my gym he trys to get me to stand slightly more side on. i know it make me less of a target but im short and bob and weave a lot and feel more balanced with my feet wide apart plus i feel i can throw my straight right with more power when standing more square on. is it just down to my core strength why i feel so unbalanced an something i just have to adapt to or is it just my style of fighting? i also think it might be because he wants me to fight like an amateur and pitter patter punch then dash away rather than be a come forward fighter. i dont like the whole left right run away style of the amateur fighting style. i rather have a war.
kirky c is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
gatto
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 365
vCash: 1000
Default Re: stance and balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirky c View Post
when ever i go on pads with the head coach at my gym he trys to get me to stand slightly more side on. i know it make me less of a target but im short and bob and weave a lot and feel more balanced with my feet wide apart plus i feel i can throw my straight right with more power when standing more square on. is it just down to my core strength why i feel so unbalanced an something i just have to adapt to or is it just my style of fighting? i also think it might be because he wants me to fight like an amateur and pitter patter punch then dash away rather than be a come forward fighter. i dont like the whole left right run away style of the amateur fighting style. i rather have a war.
u have to get used to learning new things that make you uncomfortable..Your right should be stronger when you're not squared up, it's probably because of you being akward from not being used to the new adjustments. So shadow box alot
gatto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:21 AM   #3
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,455
vCash: 1000
Default Re: stance and balance

If your feet are too narrow then you lose lateral balance and restrict your right, turn your body more side on and your feet less so
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:46 AM   #4
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 944
vCash: 95
Default Re: stance and balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatto View Post
u have to get used to learning new things that make you uncomfortable..Your right should be stronger when you're not squared up, it's probably because of you being akward from not being used to the new adjustments. So shadow box alot
Exactly.. not saying learn to do it exactly, but its youll learn once you get your first bad hits, body square makes you a very easy target, to easy.
Juxhin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,696
vCash: 75
Default Re: stance and balance

Im about Listening to your coach, by all means do some research and experiment but if you practise what he teaches you will learn something.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 3,388
vCash: 75
Default Re: stance and balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatto View Post
u have to get used to learning new things that make you uncomfortable..
This.

Think about the first time you were sparring and how long it took to get used to getting hit and not turning away.

Its just one of those things.

When I first learned the stance my coach made me do stance/footwork drills for 6 rounds a day in front of a mirror every time we worked out, until I was doing it without thinking about it.

He said it would be like riding a bike eventually. He was right. Now I do it without thinking about it.

The other thing to keep in mind is that when you are squared up, when you get hit there is no rear leg to transfer weight to, and you have nowhere to go but on your ass.
Slacker is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,665
vCash: 202
Default Re: stance and balance

point your feet forward rather than out to your right. knees bent.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 3,388
vCash: 75
Default Re: stance and balance

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTiVNLgwhJY&feature=mh_lolz&list=PL07589257E5B9E08E[/ame]
Slacker is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
Eitherside
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: stance and balance

Styles is just the range of 4D motion...... if you feel better as a strong Arthur Abraham rather than a weak Froch then fight as Arthur Abraham.

Won’t do harm to learn Froch.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #10
Eitherside
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: stance and balance

Mike Tyson wins the undisputed title...... Lennox Lewis retires undefeated via rematches.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #11
Eitherside
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: stance and balance

Balance =

3D Pivot (Power) ---------- 2D Pivot (Standard) ---------- 0 Pivot (On the Ropes/Punching on the Move)
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:02 PM   #12
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: stance and balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
If your feet are too narrow then you lose lateral balance and restrict your right, turn your body more side on and your feet less so
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #13
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,727
vCash: 1000
Default Re: stance and balance

Power is generated by the position, of the 3 top vertebrae.
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #14
gatto
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 365
vCash: 1000
Default Re: stance and balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Power is generated by the position, of the 3 top vertebrae.
...?explain please
gatto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #15
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 30,550
vCash: 507
Default Re: stance and balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eitherside View Post
Mike Tyson wins the undisputed title...... Lennox Lewis retires undefeated via rematches.
you again?
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013