Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #16
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 22,879
vCash: 330
Default Re: My top ten Heavyweight Champs ( for now )

Rip classic forum.

When people are posting shit on here about arreola being a dominant force in a previous era I can't help but think of the good times I had in this forum.
lufcrazy is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2011, 11:06 PM   #17
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: shadow boxing in phila.
Posts: 2,479
vCash: 1000
Default Re: My top ten Heavyweight Champs ( for now )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
I dont really see how Frazier can possibly rank ahead of Foreman who is unranked.

The ommission of Lewis but inclusion of Holyfield is probably arguable but very surprising.

I am guessing that the exclussion of Jeffries and Johnson and co means that Dempsey is the cut off point for consideration.
I ranked Frazier higher than Foreman because although Foreman is the harder puncher I think a prime Frazier is a better fighter. BTW I had George at 11.
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:18 AM   #18
kmcc505
Sweet Scientist
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 444
vCash: 1000
Default Re: My top ten Heavyweight Champs ( for now )

Here is mine as of today.

1. Joe Louis
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Evander Holyfield
4. Vitali Klitschko
5. Lennox Lewis
6. Jack Dempsey
7. Rocky Marciano
8. George Foreman
9. Larry Holmes
10. Wladimir Klitschko

I don't rank fighter prior to Dempsey (e.g. Jack Johnson, James J. Jeffries, John L. Sullivan, etc) because I haven't seen enough good film on them and/or it does not exist.
kmcc505 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:17 AM   #19
Asterion
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,879
vCash: 75
Default Re: My top ten Heavyweight Champs ( for now )

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Joe Louis
3. Lennox Lewis
4. Larry Holmes
5. George Foreman
6. Rocky Marciano
7. Joe Frazier
8. Evander Holyfield
9. Wladimir Klitschko
10. Sonny Liston
Asterion is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:31 AM   #20
piscator
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 150
vCash: 500
Default Re: My top ten Heavyweight Champs ( for now )

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Rip classic forum.

When people are posting shit on here about arreola being a dominant force in a previous era I can't help but think of the good times I had in this forum.
Lol, I like bugging you, Luf, but I'm not going to trade insults with you. Try to take the high road.
piscator is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #21
I like Boxing
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: My top ten Heavyweight Champs ( for now )

if you have maricano or dempsey on your list then we all know you are white and you should stop making post.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #22
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 22,879
vCash: 330
Default Re: My top ten Heavyweight Champs ( for now )

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscator View Post
Lol, I like bugging you, Luf, but I'm not going to trade insults with you. Try to take the high road.
I was more crass than insulting... Since becoming a teacher at my latest school I find myself swearing much more whenever i'm not in the classroom.

I know boxing is subjective but I cannot believe anyone truly thinks arreola would dominate an era of boxing.
lufcrazy is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #23
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 13,493
vCash: 1000
Default Re: My top ten Heavyweight Champs ( for now )

Why not Walcott over Charles? Walcott beat better competition, and was the better all around fighter at heavyweight(he could punch)
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #24
piscator
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 150
vCash: 500
Default Re: My top ten Heavyweight Champs ( for now )

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
I was more crass than insulting... Since becoming a teacher at my latest school I find myself swearing much more whenever i'm not in the classroom.

I know boxing is subjective but I cannot believe anyone truly thinks arreola would dominate an era of boxing.
Thanks, Luf. Non illegitimus parvus carborundrum!

With my Arreola reference I was just stating, perhaps with a bit too much hyperbole, my conviction that boxing, especially in the HW division, has come a long way in the past 75 or 80 years. I'm surprised that some people don't seem to be able to accept that.
piscator is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #25
KINGOFTHE1ROUND
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: James Park,Hell
Posts: 1,843
vCash: 337
Default Re: My top ten Heavyweight Champs ( for now )

Louis
Ali
Marciano
Foreman
Holmes
Patterson
Dempsey
Holyfield
Frazier
Tyson
KINGOFTHE1ROUND is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #26
piscator
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 150
vCash: 500
Default Re: My top ten Heavyweight Champs ( for now )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterion View Post
1. Muhammad Ali
2. Joe Louis
3. Lennox Lewis
4. Larry Holmes
5. George Foreman
6. Rocky Marciano
7. Joe Frazier
8. Evander Holyfield
9. Wladimir Klitschko
10. Sonny Liston
Hi Asterion,

What are your criteria?
piscator is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #27
piscator
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 150
vCash: 500
Default Re: My top ten Heavyweight Champs ( for now )

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcc505 View Post
Here is mine as of today.

1. Joe Louis
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Evander Holyfield
4. Vitali Klitschko
5. Lennox Lewis
6. Jack Dempsey
7. Rocky Marciano
8. George Foreman
9. Larry Holmes
10. Wladimir Klitschko

I don't rank fighter prior to Dempsey (e.g. Jack Johnson, James J. Jeffries, John L. Sullivan, etc) because I haven't seen enough good film on them and/or it does not exist.
Thanks. What are yhour criteria?
piscator is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:18 PM   #28
piscator
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 150
vCash: 500
Default Re: My top ten Heavyweight Champs ( for now )

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGOFTHE1ROUND View Post
Louis
Ali
Marciano
Foreman
Holmes
Patterson
Dempsey
Holyfield
Frazier
Tyson
Hi King, what are your criteria?

Thanks
piscator is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #29
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: shadow boxing in phila.
Posts: 2,479
vCash: 1000
Default Re: My top ten Heavyweight Champs ( for now )

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
Why not Walcott over Charles? Walcott beat better competition, and was the better all around fighter at heavyweight(he could punch)
I actually like Walcott more than Charles but I felt Charles was more consistant.
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #30
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bad to the bone and sexy
Posts: 5,659
vCash: 500
Default Re: My top ten Heavyweight Champs ( for now )

1.joe louis
2 muhammad ali
3 rocky marciano
4 dempsey
5 holmes
6 johnson
7 lennox lewis
8 hollyfield
9 foreman
10 tyson

Note I have room for buster douglas!

This is my list for the last century. As the years go by there is less room for truly great fighters so we must have a cut off point.
choklab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013