Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-11-2007, 10:06 AM   #1
ThePlugInBabies
♪ ♫
ESB Addict

vCash: 224
Default If/When Joe beats Hops

will the haters and ones who doubt him accept his greatness? if not, what does he have to do to achieve this in your opinion.

come on doubters, what does joe have to do to win you over? who does he have to fight before he wraps his career up?
ThePlugInBabies is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2007, 10:08 AM   #2
jimmy kerr
jr member
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: If/When Joe beats Hops

i think theres no doubt that he is a great fighter i would like to see him box rjj tho ive never seen calzaghe box some one as fast as rjj id like to know if would struggle. but he is a great no matter what
jimmy kerr is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
KayEpps
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 356

There are many people doubting his status in the sport - it's just that many of us doubt if he'll be Hopkins. At least i do!!!!!

He's a great fighter and great for the sport - but he loses to B-Hop. It is what it is.

Now if he happens to beat B-Hop - WOW!!!!!!!
KayEpps is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
coronacards
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlugInBabies
will the haters and ones who doubt him accept his greatness? if not, what does he have to do to achieve this in your opinion.

come on doubters, what does joe have to do to win you over? who does he have to fight before he wraps his career up?
Calzaghe needs to beat at least one recognizable HOF fighter in their PRIME to be considered "GREAT". Shit, he should at least FIGHT ONE.
coronacards is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 11:00 AM   #5
ThePlugInBabies
♪ ♫
ESB Addict

vCash: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronacards
Calzaghe needs to beat at least one recognizable HOF fighter in their PRIME to be considered "GREAT". Shit, he should at least FIGHT ONE.
such as......
ThePlugInBabies is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 11:01 AM   #6
djm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I found Joe frustrating to appreciate for a long time, but the Kessler fight was a big step. If he beats Hops and Dawson, there's not much else for him to do.

I think Kessler and Dawson will be around awhile beating a good number of people and will improve Joe's resume over time.

Still, ya gotta admit - he could have gone about this in a better way.
djm is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 11:03 AM   #7
djm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Kessler's career isn't over. I'm not writing his HOF ticket yet, but he could dominate at 168 for a while. If he found success at 175, too, he could pull it off.
djm is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
coronacards
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
such as......

Well first I want to know whether or not you agree, so do you???

I don't mean PRIME in the sense that it doesn't have to be absolute prime of the career, absolute prime weight, etc. But, I mean he has to beat a great fighter who isn't over the hill.

Or, he can take a different route...Calzaghe can jump to Cruiser or Heavy and beat some bum champion there, and that would show some form of greatness I suppose haha.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:07 AM   #9
coronacards
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm
Kessler's career isn't over. I'm not writing his HOF ticket yet, but he could dominate at 168 for a while. If he found success at 175, too, he could pull it off.

That's true, but nobody would call Kessler a top P4P fighter or anywhere near a HOF fighter at this time. Nobody would even bet on it...

I think Calzaghe is a very good fighter, and I never denied that. But why was SRL great, and Hearns, Haggler, Robinson, Jones, Toney, DLH, Mosley, etc??? They have the resumes to back it up...
Old 12-11-2007, 11:10 AM   #10
jc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 419

Although this is the best figtht out there. joe wont get universal respect for this win due to Hops age...
jc is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 11:10 AM   #11
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 5685

Kessler will become Calzaghe's ticket to the HOF, JC's win over BHop will merely solidify it.

Kessler is 28, 39-1, and there are very few (can't think of anyone other than JC, BHop, and Dawson) fighters from 160-175 that he would be an underdog against. Even the fights where he is an underdog, the odds would be very close.
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 11:15 AM   #12
coronacards
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH|LLA
Kessler will become Calzaghe's ticket to the HOF, JC's win over BHop will merely solidify it.

Kessler is 28, 39-1, and there are very few (can't think of anyone other than JC, BHop, and Dawson) fighters from 160-175 that he would be an underdog against. Even the fights where he is an underdog, the odds would be very close.
Who did Kessler beat? I mean seriously...

People think I hate Kessler and Calzaghe. I think both are good fighters...

But I don't run around calling Chad Dawson great because he is undefeated...I didn't with Lacy either.

As of now, Kessler is like Dariusz Michalczewski, except worse haha
Old 12-11-2007, 11:16 AM   #13
FRKO
"A MAN"
ESB Addict

Quote:

For me, Joe has very little to prove now. He may not have fought the very best, but the way in which he wins is enough to tell me that the guy is 100% pure quality that is very rarely seen. JC is an incredibly skilled fighter, and one day he will be recognised by all for his talent.
FRKO is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #14
coronacards
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRKO
For me, Joe has very little to prove now. He may not have fought the very best, but the way in which he wins is enough to tell me that the guy is 100% pure quality that is very rarely seen. JC is an incredibly skilled fighter, and one day he will be recognised for his talent.
It's not like Calzaghe is marching through bums like Tyson did...

He's beating fighters, and doing well. He's a very good fighter. He's also 35, and has a shitty resume for his age, considering his number of fights...

It's not his fault that his division has sucked for the last few years...but he also made NO EFFORT towards seeking out real challenges elsewhere.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:45 PM   #15
Smith
Monzon-like
ESB Addict

vCash: 484

Quote:
Thats a stupid thing to say when there is not one fighter from 168 to 175 right now that are in their prime that would be 'worthy'. Therefore, Calzaghe will never win under your eyes. If their is no one their, its kind of hard to find them.

Dawson(under prime!)
Kessler(under prime?)
B-Hop(over prime!)

Therefore if he beat the other two, you would still say none are in their prime.

Your views are flawed. He will never win under your eyes, never
Smith is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum