Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-11-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
fg2227
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Ali norton 3 myth

People always say that this fight was a robbery. So what i did was find out what the experts say, this is what i found.

Arthur mercante

Norton hadn't thrown that many punches and Ali was within range of 33 to 45 punches thrown that made contact against 13-15 of norton's. then they printed it in the paper that they all agreed that Ali did win the last round. That last round won it for Ali on my card. It was close no question about it, but i felt firmly i made the right decision.

Harold lederman

I felt That Ali nudged him out

My point is that if these guys saw it close then it must of been close.

I also think that people seem to forget that ALL THREE judges nearly saw it the same.
fg2227 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Ali norton 3 myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg2227
People always say that this fight was a robbery. So what i did was find out what the experts say, this is what i found.

Arthur mercante

Norton hadn't thrown that many punches and Ali was within range of 33 to 45 punches thrown that made contact against 13-15 of norton's. then they printed it in the paper that they all agreed that Ali did win the last round. That last round won it for Ali on my card. It was close no question about it, but i felt firmly i made the right decision.

Harold lederman

I also think that people seem to forget that ALL THREE judges nearly saw it the same.
I've always felt that this fight was very close and could have gone either way. A draw probably would have been a fair ruling, but it also would have pissed off the fans, and likely forced a 4th meeting. I think one poster mentioned a few months back that after the third Ali-Norton fight, Dr. Ferdie Pacheco took Ali asside, and they both agreed with one another, that he had lost and that it was time to call it quits. Of course Ali didn't call it quits and we all know the tragic ending.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
fg2227
Contender
ESB Senior Member

If its that close i think u gotta go with the Champ!
fg2227 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 12:06 PM   #4
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

I disagree there, fg2227.

Being champion is great, but that does not give you extra privileges in terms of getting the benefit of the doubt with scoring. If it's that close, you should go with what's on your card; you can't say: well, Ali made it really close on my card but he still lost it on a round to round basis, but you know what, he's the champ and you gotta take it from him so i'm reversing a round so that Ali retains it.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 12:25 PM   #5
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I watched that fight many times and I have a hard time counting enough rounds that Ali won. Take a good look at Ali's demeanor after the fight. Ali clearly looks like the beaten man while Norton's corner is echoing victory.
One lesson that every fighter should learn from watching Ali-Norton III is to fight every round until the final bell is sounded. Sure, Norton probably thought he had the decision in the bag after the 14th round but he should not have coasted assuming he get the decision.

Oscar Delahoya did the same thing against Felix Trinidad and was robbed of the decision, IMO. He coasted for the last three rounds while Trinidad started to land more right hand shots. I don't think Tito did enough to win that fight but the judges thought otherwise and gave it to him.
round15 is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
Curtis Lowe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Norton got screwed. I thought he clearly won the fight.
Curtis Lowe is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2007, 06:13 PM   #7
Moe Faux

Quote:
If its that close i think u gotta go with the Champ!

Now THAT'S a myth.
Moe Faux is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

Arthur mercante

Harold lederman

Mercante and Lederman were judges that night, we know they scored it for Ali, so why the thread?
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2007, 11:05 AM   #9
fg2227
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Just trying to point out that everyone always assumes that no one thought t ali won the fight. Well these two experts felt that he just sneaked the fight.
Thats all.
fg2227 is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2007, 11:22 AM   #10
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Norton had the style to trouble Ali but Ali had the style to hold the title longer than Ken, Norton had one talent and that was to trouble Ali, he won the fight but the title belonged to Ali, Norton would have gotten KO"D by any of the Punchers in the division.
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2007, 11:39 AM   #11
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Just trying to point out that everyone always assumes that no one thought t ali won the fight. Well these two experts felt that he just sneaked the fight.
Thats all.

Yes but everyone 'knows' it was a UD. yet, your two 'experts' were judges. Why not use other examples?
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
nikrj
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Close but IMO Norton won.
nikrj is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #13
timmers612
Contender
ESB Senior Member

It was so close, the panel that WWS had judge the bout a week after with Kenny present scored it a draw. Norton gave the last round and the win to Ali, he threw and landed one jab in the 1st minute, 2 in the second, then landed several good punches toward the end of the 3rd while Ali scored with light jabs in all three minutes. Kenny just blew it for no reason.
timmers612 is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #14
DrBanzai
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 117

Very easy fight to score, Ali lost and it was not even close.
DrBanzai is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #15
BoxingFanPhil
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Hang on, the original poster's point is, "it wasn't a robbery because the judges say so"? Or am I missing something?

A generation of fight fans have grown up calling that one for Ken Norton.
BoxingFanPhil is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum