Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #31
freddieMaize
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 453
vCash: 1704
Default Re: What should I look for in a trainer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Its not an exceptional case at all, you've made a completely nonsensical statement linking age and experience- picked a pointless argument and used it to be insulting. Thats not expressing an opinion thats being a troll.
Troll? Hmm Okay..... Seriously, that was just an opinion.. Thanks for the discussion though..

Monday is arriving tomorrow ....
freddieMaize is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #32
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,455
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What should I look for in a trainer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddieMaize View Post
Troll? Hmm Okay..... Seriously, that was just an opinion.. Thanks for the discussion though..

Monday is arriving tomorrow ....
OK. maybe just the way I read it... All the best, have a good week
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:05 AM   #33
freddieMaize
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 453
vCash: 1704
Default Re: What should I look for in a trainer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
OK. maybe just the way I read it... All the best, have a good week
You too mate..
freddieMaize is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #34
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 3,388
vCash: 75
Default Re: What should I look for in a trainer?

In my area we have several gyms and some trainers. However, there are only two "real" trainers in town who have any real experience.

The rest of them are fitness coaches who work in pretty gyms and shave their chests.

The things I would ask:

1. Are you certified by the USA Boxing organization as a non-athlete/coach? [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

2. Have you (the coach) had any professional or amatuer fights? How many?

3. Have you trained any competitive fighters who fought in organized tournaments?

4. Can you guide me through registering with USA Boxing so that I can compete as an amateur?

Those would be the basics I would ask. If they can answer those with any degree of clarity, you might be in good hands.

Someone above mentioned they should have a knowledge of fitness, but I disagree. You don't want a fitness coach, you want a boxing coach.

Hire a boxing coach to teach you boxing technique.

Hire a fitness coach to work out.
Slacker is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:02 AM   #35
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,455
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What should I look for in a trainer?

Just because someones boxed themselves doesn't mean they can coach- and Vica versa! Also a fitness coach to work out and a boxing coachnfor technique- glad your made of money! A boxing coach who doesn't understand the basics of fitness would be useless
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #36
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: What should I look for in a trainer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnswer5 View Post
What should I look for in a trainer? I want to make sure he's legit, and not just a fitness boxing trainer.
Look for someone who has fought competitively themselves to begin with. You can then easily check their record and their reputation. Train at a couple of different places to begin with and the better trainer of the two should soon become obvious to you.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:24 AM   #37
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,455
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What should I look for in a trainer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
Look for someone who has fought competitively themselves to begin with. You can then easily check their record and their reputation. Train at a couple of different places to begin with and the better trainer of the two should soon become obvious to you.
What if theirs three?
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:51 AM   #38
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: What should I look for in a trainer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
What if theirs three?
The beauty of the method is it works for 3 as well and thank you for your important contribution
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:42 PM   #39
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 3,388
vCash: 75
Default Re: What should I look for in a trainer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Just because someones boxed themselves doesn't mean they can coach- and Vica versa! Also a fitness coach to work out and a boxing coachnfor technique- glad your made of money! A boxing coach who doesn't understand the basics of fitness would be useless
I didn't mean to necessarily hire both if you can't afford it. Its a matter of priority.

If you can only afford one, do you want to be a better fighter or do you want to be more fit?

A coach with some competition on his resume (either directly or via students) is going to be a much better fight coach than someone without it. No question.

A fitness trainer whose studied nutrition and fitness is going to be a better fitness coach. No question.

Duh!

My experience is that the old timers who have been in the ring themselves are much better coaches than any fitness club coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
Train at a couple of different places to begin with and the better trainer of the two should soon become obvious to you.
Based on my quotes above, you probably guessed I've tried this approach and visited other gyms.

The truth is, even the worst trainers I've come across were able to teach me something that someone else either overlooked or didn't bother showing me.

In the end its really about what kind of coach and gym you feel comfortable in.
Slacker is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:48 PM   #40
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: What should I look for in a trainer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post

In the end its really about what kind of coach and gym you feel comfortable in.
True. It's your money. Make sure you get what you pay for.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #41
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,455
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What should I look for in a trainer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
The beauty of the method is it works for 3 as well and thank you for your important contribution
Four?
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #42
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,455
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What should I look for in a trainer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
I didn't mean to necessarily hire both if you can't afford it. Its a matter of priority.

If you can only afford one, do you want to be a better fighter or do you want to be more fit?

A coach with some competition on his resume (either directly or via students) is going to be a much better fight coach than someone without it. No question.

A fitness trainer whose studied nutrition and fitness is going to be a better fitness coach. No question.


Duh! .
so you confirm my original point then say duh!?
congrats m8
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013