Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2011, 03:59 AM   #1
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,273
vCash: 1000
Default Great Fights That You Cant Stand To Watch

The Thrilla In Manilla tops my list. I find it very hard to watch especially knowing how close they were to death. And Fraziers Skull/Forehead looked liked a Totally damaged Boxing glove

I love watching Benn V mcCllelan despite the tragedy
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2011, 04:00 AM   #2
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: Great Fights That You Cant Stand To Watch

Tua/Ibeabuchi
Foreman/Lyle

Becsause I think both are shite
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:17 AM   #3
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,587
vCash: 75
Default Re: Great Fights That You Cant Stand To Watch

Gatti vs Ward.
Shake is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:43 AM   #4
the quiet man
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: yorkshire. england.
Posts: 769
vCash: 253
Default Re: Great Fights That You Cant Stand To Watch

the only fight ive ever found hard to watch was the floyd mayweather-arturo gatti fight.
gatti took a bad beating for far too long and it was sad to see that happen to him.
mayweather, on the other hand was brilliant, the best ive seen him.
the quiet man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:38 AM   #5
killuminix
yes im back
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: kaunas,lietuva
Posts: 679
vCash: 75
Default Re: Great Fights That You Cant Stand To Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by the quiet man View Post
the only fight ive ever found hard to watch was the floyd mayweather-arturo gatti fight.
gatti took a bad beating for far too long and it was sad to see that happen to him.
mayweather, on the other hand was brilliant, the best ive seen him.
this
killuminix is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:17 AM   #6
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,273
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Great Fights That You Cant Stand To Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by the quiet man View Post
the only fight ive ever found hard to watch was the floyd mayweather-arturo gatti fight.
gatti took a bad beating for far too long and it was sad to see that happen to him.
mayweather, on the other hand was brilliant, the best ive seen him.
I meant great competitive fights that had plenty of action both sides. not one sided schoolings massacres
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #7
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Great Fights That You Cant Stand To Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake View Post
Gatti vs Ward.
Why is that?

I reckon it's close to the best fight (not the most skillful or brilliant) that I've ever seen and I have a hard time seeing how anyone could dislike it although I have seen a few on classic here also say they don't rate it.

I know it's your opinion and there is no right and wrong with this but I'm genuinely curious why you don't like watching it.
young griffo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,155
vCash: 75
Default Re: Great Fights That You Cant Stand To Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by young griffo View Post
Why is that?

I reckon it's close to the best fight (not the most skillful or brilliant) that I've ever seen and I have a hard time seeing how anyone could dislike it although I have seen a few on classic here also say they don't rate it.

I know it's your opinion and there is no right and wrong with this but I'm genuinely curious why you don't like watching it.
he's just being a hipster
Pachilles is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,098
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Great Fights That You Cant Stand To Watch

Griffith-Paret III for obvious reasons. Great, great fight for which one had to pay the ultimate price.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,587
vCash: 75
Default Re: Great Fights That You Cant Stand To Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by young griffo View Post
Why is that?

I reckon it's close to the best fight (not the most skillful or brilliant) that I've ever seen and I have a hard time seeing how anyone could dislike it although I have seen a few on classic here also say they don't rate it.

I know it's your opinion and there is no right and wrong with this but I'm genuinely curious why you don't like watching it.
I like a good scrap as much as anyone. Two of my very favorite fights are Barrera vs Morales I and Duran vs Leonard I. But even during Barrera vs Morales I, there's a point where I'm thinking to myself "these great warriors are giving too much".

Boxing is a brutal sport. It's one of the few that is not only life-threatening in an immediate sense, but there's a component of gradual deterioration as well. Then again, the sports best moments often depict the all-time great spirits rallying some inhuman mental strength within themselves and overcoming grueling circumstances. How are we to find out who's best unless we let these fighters give their all?

But here comes the difference for me -- Gatti-Ward was never about who was best. This was not a case of two fighters with huge followings who clashed when they were matched. This was a case of two fighters with porous defense and incredible toughness who would showcase their determination in the face of a bludgeoning. They gathered a crowd that tuned in for the bloodlust.

There was a kind of sadistic element to it. Especially when they were asked to do it again for big money. It's the darker side of boxing, the side that enjoys seeing Chavez punish an outclassed Haugen, the side that has smiling eyes instead of solemn ones when viewing Ali vs Frazier III, the side I'd rather have nothing to do with.

I mean, I can see Frazier vs Ali was about pride. And Barrera vs Morales was about two of the best in the weightclass squaring off, plus the difference in roots and personalities.

But Ward and Gatti actually liked eachother. They did it twice more, providing spectacle for money, sacrificing some of their health in the process. Who won was not the point. The sport of boxing was not the point. It was about bleeding flesh and grimacing faces. I have too much respect for boxers and what they sacrifice to condone it.
Shake is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #11
sportofkings
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,196
vCash: 75
Default Re: Great Fights That You Cant Stand To Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Tua/Ibeabuchi
Foreman/Lyle

Becsause I think both are shite
Are you serious?
sportofkings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #12
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
Posts: 10,821
vCash: 1139
Default Re: Great Fights That You Cant Stand To Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportofkings View Post
Are you serious?
i totally agree. sloppy and shit. they showed the skills of a couple of hobos fighting over a sandwich and frankly, if i showed that to anyone not a boxing fan they wouldn't believe they were professional fighters.
Jorodz is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #13
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
Posts: 10,821
vCash: 1139
Default Re: Great Fights That You Cant Stand To Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake View Post
I like a good scrap as much as anyone. Two of my very favorite fights are Barrera vs Morales I and Duran vs Leonard I. But even during Barrera vs Morales I, there's a point where I'm thinking to myself "these great warriors are giving too much".

Boxing is a brutal sport. It's one of the few that is not only life-threatening in an immediate sense, but there's a component of gradual deterioration as well. Then again, the sports best moments often depict the all-time great spirits rallying some inhuman mental strength within themselves and overcoming grueling circumstances. How are we to find out who's best unless we let these fighters give their all?

But here comes the difference for me -- Gatti-Ward was never about who was best. This was not a case of two fighters with huge followings who clashed when they were matched. This was a case of two fighters with porous defense and incredible toughness who would showcase their determination in the face of a bludgeoning. They gathered a crowd that tuned in for the bloodlust.

There was a kind of sadistic element to it. Especially when they were asked to do it again for big money. It's the darker side of boxing, the side that enjoys seeing Chavez punish an outclassed Haugen, the side that has smiling eyes instead of solemn ones when viewing Ali vs Frazier III, the side I'd rather have nothing to do with.

I mean, I can see Frazier vs Ali was about pride. And Barrera vs Morales was about two of the best in the weightclass squaring off, plus the difference in roots and personalities.

But Ward and Gatti actually liked eachother. They did it twice more, providing spectacle for money, sacrificing some of their health in the process. Who won was not the point. The sport of boxing was not the point. It was about bleeding flesh and grimacing faces. I have too much respect for boxers and what they sacrifice to condone it.
gatti ward 1 is my favourite fight of all time but this post is tremendous and i very much understand your point. well said
Jorodz is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #14
Saintpat
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,127
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Great Fights That You Cant Stand To Watch

Not necessarily a great fight, but I can't watch Foreman-Alex Stewart.

Foreman got his sinus busted and his face swells up like a pumpkin. Every punch late in the fight you can actually hear the sloshing inside his face. Sickening. Shows how tough a sumbitch Foreman really was. But I can't watch it.
Saintpat is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #15
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,697
vCash: 1166
Default Re: Great Fights That You Cant Stand To Watch

Calzaghe vs Hopkins.......
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013