Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-11-2007, 12:11 PM   #1
grayggr
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Odd Thing about Hatton - Mayweather

The conspiracy theories are out, the excuses, the analysis, the bitching, the bravery, the skill and the general post fight forum madness.

I will add to it.

In a strange way, prior to the point deduction, and dominance/accuracy displayed by Mayweather, I thought Hatton's most successful moments were when he used his lead left jab. It was quick, snappy, and considering the reach disadvantage, tagged Floyd on several ocassions, moreso than the fabled body attack ever did in the fight. So much so that I was disappointed when Hatton started trying to find a way on the inside.....and I never thought I'd say that. I'm not professing that Hatton would have taken the fight by dominating Floyd on the outside (which he wouldn't have), merely that I was surprised with his success with it.

I will probably get a fair percentage of hate from certain posters, but would appreciate some responses, minus, the usual '**** that Hatton bum', 'exposed Hatton' blah blah blah stuff?

So thoughts???
grayggr is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
KayEpps
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 356
Default Re: Odd Thing about Hatton - Mayweather

Mayweather takes the beginning of the fight to feel & figure out his opponents - so it's no surprise that Hatton was able to land a couple of shots. In the end - we all see what happened.

However it was a very good effort by Hatton.
KayEpps is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
grayggr
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowalgr
I think the only way for Hatton to win the fight was to pressure him as he did first 4 rounds, but his stamina wasnt there.. We was tired at the start of 8th round , droping hands even more, jumping in with the jab, week punches...
Yeah the hands dropping have always been a problem for Hatton and in the past he has just walked through punches to get inside. The more fights he has, the more fight worn he becomes, and the more those punches will take their toll. Billy Graham needs to work hard with Ricky on this during camp. Part of the defence should be using the jab to come as he did at the start, and of course keeping those bloody gloves high!
grayggr is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
roly
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayggr
The conspiracy theories are out, the excuses, the analysis, the bitching, the bravery, the skill and the general post fight forum madness.

I will add to it.

In a strange way, prior to the point deduction, and dominance/accuracy displayed by Mayweather, I thought Hatton's most successful moments were when he used his lead left jab. It was quick, snappy, and considering the reach disadvantage, tagged Floyd on several ocassions, moreso than the fabled body attack ever did in the fight. So much so that I was disappointed when Hatton started trying to find a way on the inside.....and I never thought I'd say that. I'm not professing that Hatton would have taken the fight by dominating Floyd on the outside (which he wouldn't have), merely that I was surprised with his success with it.

I will probably get a fair percentage of hate from certain posters, but would appreciate some responses, minus, the usual '**** that Hatton bum', 'exposed Hatton' blah blah blah stuff?

So thoughts???
yeah hatton did well with the jab, and it was a decent stiff jab that snapped mayweathers head back a couple of times. and gave him a chance to back him up. but he stopped throwig it.
roly is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #5
victor879
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hatton's hands were dropping because he was simply getting pummeled to the body all night.

Watch the fight again and look for Floyd's body shots throughout the night. By the 8th round he had Ricky folding over from shots to the body. That set up the straight rights upstairs.
victor879 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 12:28 PM   #6
grayggr
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roly
yeah hatton did well with the jab, and it was a decent stiff jab that snapped mayweathers head back a couple of times. and gave him a chance to back him up. but he stopped throwig it.
Perhaps it's worrying then that we see him moving to the inside too often nowadays. He was fighting a complete shutout v Urango with the jab, then gassed out near the end (illness or not), and in the past used the jab more effectively. We know he has huge success with the left to the body or upstairs but sacrificing stamina by trying to hit that shot all the time, by working inside all the time seems to have affected him of late.

I think a balanced combination of outside work then cutting down the ring when the timing is right, and then working inside is the way forward for him. But what do I know.........
grayggr is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 12:33 PM   #7
Stezzie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roly
He didn't stop throwing it...Mayweather took it away. Mayweather began to crouch while back pedaling looking to throw the lead right. That made his jab pointless....
Stezzie is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 12:37 PM   #8
K2ray
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stezzie
He didn't stop throwing it...Mayweather took it away. Mayweather began to crouch while back pedaling looking to throw the lead right. That made his jab pointless....
..don't mind that cry baby roly
K2ray is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 12:42 PM   #9
lenin
what the **** you say?
ESB Senior Member

his only chance was to pressure floyd on the inside where he could land effective punches with his short arms and prevent floyd from landing his money punches. if he tried to jab and box, floyd would have taken him out alot faster
lenin is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 12:51 PM   #10
gruuby
CONFIRMED FOR BRAWL
ESB Full Member

Apart from the first round jab that sent Floyd reeling backwards I haven't seen anything else landing flush in terms of Hatton's jab. I do think that May was surprised that that jab landed. I'll look out for the jab when I rewatch the fight on Saturday.
gruuby is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #11
ChampionsForever
ESB VIP
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

The fact that Hatton was landing the jab on Floyd tells me that to beat the guy you have to fight on the outside, jabs, double jabs, long punches from a long fighter. Williams could beat him, and a younger DLH would pick him off from a distance I think. Hatton doesn't have the tools to beat Mayweather tho, he had a disadvantage in pretty much every department.
ChampionsForever is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 12:58 PM   #12
Speak.King
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I'll have to watch again saturday as well. I didn't see anything Hatton did effectively, other than bull rush Floyd to the ropes. And once he got him there he still wasn't landing.
Speak.King is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 01:00 PM   #13
BigReg
Broad Street Bully
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Ricky landed exactly 11 jabs the entire fight. In round 9 he was 0 - 8 with his jab . Any talk of Ricky beeing able to accomplish anything of real substance with his jab is pure fantasy. Ricky is not a good jabber, his lack of height and reach would have renedered has jab useless. If he tried to use it more, Floyd would've been timing it and would have hit him with more counter left hooks and straight rights.
BigReg is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 01:01 PM   #14
K2ray
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigReg
Ricky landed exactly 11 jabs the entire fight. In round 9 he was 0 - 8 with his jab . Any talk of Ricky beeing able to accomplish anything of real substance with his jab is pure fantasy. Ricky is not a good jabber, his lack of height and reach would have renedered has jab useless. If he tried to use it more, Floyd would've been timing it and would have hit him with more counter left hooks and straight rights.
don't mind these clowns. They're in denial
K2ray is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2007, 02:33 PM   #15
grayggr
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2ray
don't mind these clowns. They're in denial
At least Big Reg could discuss my OP with substance and observations. You K2ray, are a laughable immature boy, with more issues than most posters on here. Your amazing ability to cling onto anything remotely anti-UK is beyond compare, you are a laughing stock on here with no validity to your arguments.

You say I'm in denial - not at all FLoyd was supreme in every department, he deserved the win, and finshed the bout in great predatory fashion, and as I've pointed out to you before my prediction (pre fight)was a Floyd win as he had too much for Hatton. As I've also pointed out above and early I have given Floyd credit for a thoroughly impressive display. Even giving him credit for displaying his real self, and class in the post fight interviews and pressers. Unlike you I am balanced in my posts and try to provide thought and observations.

My OP was that I was surprised at Hatton trying to utilise the jab early in the fight and that is where he had most success from where I was watching the fight. Big Reg at least posted stats (from Compubox?) to show perhaps his jab was not actually as effective as I saw in the fight.

Grow some balls and be a mature man, instead of some **** wit on these boards and finally get some respect and manners.

Last edited by Flatlander; 11-03-2006 at 11:54 PM.
grayggr is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum