boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,010
vCash: 500
Default I died in same hospital,15 monthe earlier ?

My death in the ring was a tragic death as I died in the same hospital after I suffered a terrible concussion 15 months earlier,from a terrible kayo. I was only 21 years old.Today my brain injury would have been detected after the earlier kayo. My bravery killed me. Who was I ?
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
Joe E
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Detroit,Mi.
Posts: 1,152
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I died in same hospital,15 monthe earlier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
My death in the ring was a tragic death as I died in the same hospital after I suffered a terrible concussion 15 months earlier,from a terrible kayo. I was only 21 years old.Today my brain injury would have been detected after the earlier kayo. My bravery killed me. Who was I ?
I read once that Tiger Flowers died in the same Hospital as Greb did.
Joe E is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,010
vCash: 500
Default Re: I died in same hospital,15 monthe earlier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe E View Post
I read once that Tiger Flowers died in the same Hospital as Greb did.
No J, Tiger Flowers didn't die as a result of his bout with the also tragic Harry Greb.
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
hhascup
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lodi, N.J.
Posts: 2,306
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I died in same hospital,15 monthe earlier ?

Jimmy Doyle
hhascup is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
klompton
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,834
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I died in same hospital,15 monthe earlier ?

Greb and Flowers did not die in the same hospital or under the care of the same physician. Thats a myth.
klompton is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 黒人文化の恋人のサンプリ
Posts: 10,027
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I died in same hospital,15 monthe earlier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klompton View Post
Greb and Flowers did not die in the same hospital or under the care of the same physician. Thats a myth.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

they did go to the same hospital.










to the question......schaaf?
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 黒人文化の恋人のサンプリ
Posts: 10,027
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I died in same hospital,15 monthe earlier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhascup View Post
Jimmy Doyle
bastid
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:18 AM   #8
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,010
vCash: 500
Default Re: I died in same hospital,15 monthe earlier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhascup View Post
Jimmy Doyle
Henry correct as usual.It was Jimmy Doyle who died after being kod by the peak Ray Robinson inn June,1947. He was unconscious for three days and passed away at St.Vincent Charities Hospital in Cleveland.By a strange coincidence,Fifteen months before Jimmy Doyle was kod by Artie Levine,and was unconscious for fifteen minutes and was taken to the same hospital in Cleveland where he died after Robinson kod him. Today Jimmy Doyle would have been forced to retire after his terrible concussion after Artie Levine kod him.
A sidenote h--A few months after Dole suffered a concussion at the hands of hard punching Artie Levine[who had Ray Robinson on the canvas in 1946 for 15-17 seconds],I saw a pasty faced Jimmy Doyle training at Stillman's gym in NY.I remember thinking that his face was devoid of color, boxing in a similar style as Jack Johnson, who gave Doyle advice when Doyle was making a name for himself. When I saw him looking sickly, he probably was brain-damaged,but amazingly won 5 bouts in a row after being kod by Artie Levine.But in facing the 1947 edition of the greatest fighter I ever saw Robinson,Jimmy Doyle fought one time too much.
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 黒人文化の恋人のサンプリ
Posts: 10,027
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I died in same hospital,15 monthe earlier ?

ty for that
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,561
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I died in same hospital,15 monthe earlier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
Henry correct as usual.It was Jimmy Doyle who died after being kod by the peak Ray Robinson inn June,1947. He was unconscious for three days and passed away at St.Vincent Charities Hospital in Cleveland.By a strange coincidence,Fifteen months before Jimmy Doyle was kod by Artie Levine,and was unconscious for fifteen minutes and was taken to the same hospital in Cleveland where he died after Robinson kod him. Today Jimmy Doyle would have been forced to retire after his terrible concussion after Artie Levine kod him.
A sidenote h--A few months after Dole suffered a concussion at the hands of hard punching Artie Levine[who had Ray Robinson on the canvas in 1946 for 15-17 seconds],I saw a pasty faced Jimmy Doyle training at Stillman's gym in NY.I remember thinking that his face was devoid of color, boxing in a similar style as Jack Johnson, who gave Doyle advice when Doyle was making a name for himself. When I saw him looking sickly, he probably was brain-damaged,but amazingly won 5 bouts in a row after being kod by Artie Levine.But in facing the 1947 edition of the greatest fighter I ever saw Robinson,Jimmy Doyle fought one time too much.
Burt I could bend your ear for hours asking you about some of those greats from the 40's.

Did you ever get to see Rocky Castellani fight?

He's another top shelf middleweight from that era who took Sugar Ray to a SD loss and is sadly seldom mentioned today. He fought at MSG on quite a few occasions and I'm wondering if you got to see him do his stuff?
young griffo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #11
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,010
vCash: 500
Default Re: I died in same hospital,15 monthe earlier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by young griffo View Post
Burt I could bend your ear for hours asking you about some of those greats from the 40's.

Did you ever get to see Rocky Castellani fight?

He's another top shelf middleweight from that era who took Sugar Ray to a SD loss and is sadly seldom mentioned today. He fought at MSG on quite a few occasions and I'm wondering if you got to see him do his stuff?
YG,you couldn't be more correct about Rocky Castellani being another "top shelf"middleweight of my era growing up.Damn, what talent. Oh yes I saw Castellani fight numerous times in NY,against a neighbor of mine Harold Green, Ernie Durando, Billy Graham, Kid Gavilan,Joey Geambra,and a slew of others.Castellani was a tough,well conditioned fighter who fought every 3-4 weeks beating most everyone,except a top Kid Gavilan and Bobo Olsen.What a tough middleweight division at that time, fighting at MSG,where i attended almost weekly. Cheers YG.
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
edward morbius
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,260
vCash: 500
Default Re: I died in same hospital,15 monthe earlier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
Henry correct as usual.It was Jimmy Doyle who died after being kod by the peak Ray Robinson inn June,1947. He was unconscious for three days and passed away at St.Vincent Charities Hospital in Cleveland.By a strange coincidence,Fifteen months before Jimmy Doyle was kod by Artie Levine,and was unconscious for fifteen minutes and was taken to the same hospital in Cleveland where he died after Robinson kod him. Today Jimmy Doyle would have been forced to retire after his terrible concussion after Artie Levine kod him.
A sidenote h--A few months after Dole suffered a concussion at the hands of hard punching Artie Levine[who had Ray Robinson on the canvas in 1946 for 15-17 seconds],I saw a pasty faced Jimmy Doyle training at Stillman's gym in NY.I remember thinking that his face was devoid of color, boxing in a similar style as Jack Johnson, who gave Doyle advice when Doyle was making a name for himself. When I saw him looking sickly, he probably was brain-damaged,but amazingly won 5 bouts in a row after being kod by Artie Levine.But in facing the 1947 edition of the greatest fighter I ever saw Robinson,Jimmy Doyle fought one time too much.

Burt--would you care to elaborate on Artie Levine "had Ray Robinson on the canvas for 15 to 17 seconds"

*You imply Levine was jobbed. What was the consensus back then about this fight?
edward morbius is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #13
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,010
vCash: 500
Default Re: I died in same hospital,15 monthe earlier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward morbius View Post
Burt--would you care to elaborate on Artie Levine "had Ray Robinson on the canvas for 15 to 17 seconds"

*You imply Levine was jobbed. What was the consensus back then about this fight?
Yes gladly EM. I was very familiar with Artie Levine's career for his Aunt and my mother knew each other. On Nov 6,1946 Artie Levine pole-axed Ray Robinson in the 9th round.Robinson always claimed Artie Levine hit him with the hardesr blow.Robinson was on his back from that punch and the referee,instead of starting the count immediately WALKED Levine to a neutral corner,than walked back to the prostate Robinson before starting his one count. Enough time for Ray Robinson to clear his head, get up and survive the round. In the next round ,the 10th round Robby unleashed his
do or die attack,as he did to Randy Turpin,Sept,1951 at the Polo Grounds,which I attended. Yes it was in the newspaper the next day, and
a few days after at Stillman's gym people around me was talking about
the "long count". Artie Levine never became champion, but he should have
"Ko'd Ray Robinson", on his record, methinks...Cheers.
P.S. They estimated robinso was on the floor 15-17 seconds because of the ref's ineptitude...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #14
edward morbius
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,260
vCash: 500
Default Re: I died in same hospital,15 monthe earlier ?

thanks, Burt.
edward morbius is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #15
hhascup
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lodi, N.J.
Posts: 2,306
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I died in same hospital,15 monthe earlier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by young griffo View Post
Burt I could bend your ear for hours asking you about some of those greats from the 40's.

Did you ever get to see Rocky Castellani fight?

He's another top shelf middleweight from that era who took Sugar Ray to a SD loss and is sadly seldom mentioned today. He fought at MSG on quite a few occasions and I'm wondering if you got to see him do his stuff?
When Rocky Castellani passed away, I drove to Atlantic City andI did the Eulogy and rung the bell "9" times. The very next week, I did the samething at Joey Giardello's funeral. I was the only boxing person at Rocky's and 1 of only 4 at Joey's.

Today, I picked up Lou Duva and cutman Darren Antola and I drove them to the funeral of George Benton in Philly.
hhascup is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015