Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 09-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Joe Calzaghe's 46-0 vs Floyd Mayweather's 42-0

Ok, so I'm not asking who is the better boxer here (its clearly Mayweather). But let's look at their respected resumes. For argument sake, Floyd Mayweather retires tomorrow.

First thing, both get plenty of stick for their resumes, but who's is better?

Joe Calzaghe, despite not 'going to America earlier' still beat some very good fighters. Joey started the way most british fighters do, at a relatively slow pace, winning the British title against Steven Wilson. His first real test came against the 21-0 Mark Delaney, which he won by 5th round KO. He would beat Luciano Torres, before defeating the very good, but old, Chris Eubank. He would defend his title against the veteran Juan Ferreya, as well as beating Robin Reid and Richie Woohall. He beat Mario Veit twice and Bryon Mitchell. He then dismantled the heavily favoured Jeff Lacy, before beating the awkward Bika and the vey very good Kessler. He rounded off his career against the still great Bernard Hopkins who was number 1 at 175 (and still is) as well as the very old and very shot RJJ. His resume definitely got better a he got older.

The same cannot be said for Money, who fought between opposition earlier in his career. Again he started off slowly before beating the vey good Hernandez to claim his first world title at SFW. He then beat Angel Manfredy, Carlos Rios and Gregorio Vargas, before his 'defining' fight against Corrales. He then beat Jess Chavez, Castillo twice (maybe once) before beating Corley, Gatti, Judah, Baldimor, a WW Hatton, WW JMM, old Mosley and not very good Ortiz. He does however have a win over a past it de la Hoya which is probably his best win (pretty good).

So, who's resume is better? For me, Calzaghe certainly has the best win in Hopkins. His wins over Mitchell, Eubank, Jones, Kessler, Lacy, Reid, woodhall and Bika provide a solid cover. I feel that Mayweather, while the better fighter, still hasn't fought a prime welterweight in the 6 years he has been campaigning at 147. Ortiz is probably the closest he has come. But Hatton, JMM, Judah (who was and still is a 140 lbser) and Baldimor let him down. ODLH is a very very good win, as are the Costillo wins, Corrales, both Hernandez's, and backed up by the game but limited Gatti. The lack of names at 140+ hurt Mayweather in this argument IMO.

Mayweather is the better fighter for me, but I think Calzaghe, with the Hopkins win, just takes this.

Any other thoughts?
Vano-Irons is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
gattiwarrior
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe's 46-0 vs Floyd Mayweather's 42-0

mate calzaghes resume isnt on the same planet at mayweathers , and thats coming from aguy that doesnt liek mayweather.

calzaghe scraped past hopkins , i had hopkins by 1 point , he also struggled with reid who wasnt anything specal , he at on a wbo title for nearly 10 years before fighting real world class fighters.

lacy and kessler are his best wins...bith are good fighters but nowhere near great.
gattiwarrior is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

I plump for Mayweather due to more consistent depth in his opponents and also feel the Jones win should be downplayed. Wasn't solid IMO RJJ was by then shot to pieces and the fight well... exhibition wasn't good enough to add to his resume. The Hopkins win has got better and better over time due to Bernard's run of form. Many after Joe won claimed he was old and finished but Nard's made the win better but some still say he didn't win.

Both men's careers will be full of what if's and but's, Some of Joe's opponents were horrendous and many complain about Mayweather's opponents.
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

And Mayweather's great wins are? A split decision to Oscar?

I'm not sure how many more people Joey could have fought tbh. Whereas there is a huge list of Mayweather possible opponents.

Don't get me wrong, Money is a far better fighter, but I don't think Joey gets a fair crack, particularly from across the pond.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

It's not clearly Mayweather either, Calzaghe has a very awkward style that is just as hard-to-gauge as a textbook slick style. Calzaghes footwork was so odd, it even made B-Hop inaccurate.

In terms of resume, Calzaghe has the best win out of the two (but a close fight) but only two or three other names of any substance (Kessler, Eubank...Reid)

Floyd has the consistency with lots of B-Level wins, and wins at weight classes that holds a lot more historical relevance than 168. He has consistently faced decent opposition; Calzaghe not only faced guys that weren't that good, but weren't even well-regarded by some. In terms of the threat they posed to either fighter, Ortiz and Tocker Pudwill held exactly the same: none. But one is Victor Ortiz and the other is Pudwill

Floyd, not that I really care, neither are fighting their way up my list to the point where it'd be hard ranking them (Calzaghe doesn't make my top 100, Floyd does just to save hassle answering the same questions over and over again)

Even if he'd thought Glen Johnson when he should've; Calzaghe just about makes my British Top 10, on a good day. And before anyone calls me a hater, I supported him in all of his big fights and went to see him fight Kessler, I'm just being fair.

In terms of ability, Conteh>The Pair Of 'em.

Last edited by Flea Man; 09-26-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
CamR21
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 736

Calzaghe fought everyone there was basically, whereas Mayweather hasn't fought the standard of opposition he could have. Mayweather is clearly a more skilled fighter, but resume im not sure they're miles apart
CamR21 is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
toffeejack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Calzaghe is massively underrated by a lot of people on here but Mayweather does have the better resume overall. Even if he is a total prick who is scared of Pacquiao.
toffeejack is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
It's not clearly Mayweather either, Calzaghe has a very awkward style that is just as hard-to-gauge as a textbook slick style. Calzaghes footwork was so odd, it even made B-Hop inaccurate.

In terms of resume, Calzaghe has the best win out of the two (but a close fight) but only two or three other names of any substance (Kessler, Eubank...Reid)

Floyd has the consistency with lots of B-Level wins, and wins at weight classes that holds a lot more historical relevance than 168. He has consistently faced decent opposition; Calzaghe not only faced guys that weren't that good, but weren't even well-regarded by some. In terms of the threat they posed to either fighter, Ortiz and Tocker Pudwill held exactly the same: none. But one is Victor Ortiz and the other is Pudwill

Floyd, not that I really care, neither are fighting their way up my list to the point where it'd be hard ranking them (Calzaghe doesn't make my top 100, Floyd does just to save hassle answering the same questions over and over again)

Even if he'd thought Glen Johnson when he should've; Calzaghe just about makes my British Top 10, on a good day. And before anyone calls me a hater, I supported him in all of his big fights and went to see him fight Kessler, I'm just being fair.

In terms of ability, Conteh>The Pair Of 'e.
This
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
lirva
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

mayweather in both respects easily
lirva is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

It's certainly not 'clearly Mayweather'. Is all depends how highly you rate the Lacey and Kessler wins. Joey CLEARLY has the better single win, Floyd probably has more names, but Are the Kessler and Lacey wins better than Corrales, Castillo, and Judah?
Old 09-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vano-Irons View Post
It's certainly not 'clearly Mayweather'. Is all depends how highly you rate the Lacey and Kessler wins. Joey CLEARLY has the better single win, Floyd probably has more names, but Are the Kessler and Lacey wins better than Corrales, Castillo, and Judah?
Lacy although heavily favored was extremely overrated. Joe's own father told him when Joe wanted to pull out 3 weeks before 'you can beat this cunt with one hand he's shit!' and he was right. He was the definition of a hype job the Yanks needed a second coming of Tyson and thought he was it.

I personally believe Floyd has a nice enough CV to beat Joe in this area. Kessler was a good win and Hopkins was a great win forget the controversy people but Floyd's got more good wins even though it was as Flea says B level fighters.

The first Castillo win was like the Hopkins win down to people's opinions. I personally felt Floyd won both fights.
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #12
El Greeno
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vano-Irons View Post
Lacy was/is shit. The only real wins of note for Calzaghe are Kessler, Hopkins and maybe Reid imo(I have only scored the Hopkins fight once, close for Joe); for me it is clearly Mayweather.
El Greeno is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #13
D-MAC
Champion
East Side Guru

Here's what their top 10 wins look like IMO. You can argue a bit more over Floyd's top 10 because he has a good bit more depth in his resume and its harder to get the last few of that ten in place (I would have no problem with people swapping a few around). As far as their "10's" go though???? Don't think there's a massive gap between the two. Floyd would probably edge it overall though, just on what he has outside his top 10 is a bit better than what Joe has.

Joe Calzaghe:

Chris Eubank UD12
Robin Reid SD12
Richie Woodhall TKO10
Charles Brewer UD12
Byron Mitchell TKO2
Jeff Lacy UD12
Mikkel Kessler UD12
Bernard Hopkins SD12
Sakio Bika UD12
Roy Jones Jr UD12

Floyd Mayweather:

Genaro Hernandez RTD8
Angel Manfredy TKO2
Diego Corrales TKO10
Jose Luis Castillo UD12
Jose Luis Castillo UD12
Shane Mosley UD12
Zab Judah UD12
Oscar De la Hoya SD12
Ricky Hatton TKO10
Juan Manuel Marquez UD12

Last edited by D-MAC; 09-26-2011 at 03:16 PM.
D-MAC is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #14
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Greeno View Post
Lacy was/is shit. The only real wins of note for Calzaghe are Kessler, Hopkins and maybe Reid
This. All of this.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #15
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

For me Bika was a better win then Jones that's how little i think of Joe's win over RJJ.
Mandanda is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum