Old 09-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #17
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010
Default Re: A little help with Hector Camacho please

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYSON DURAN View Post
So by that you would say I'm best to look at anything pre Rosario to see him at his peak.

Thanks
yes pretty much. After he fought Rosario he was good but not great..
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #18
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Limon, Ramirez, and Loy are all good fights to watch.

Camacho was one of the fastest fighters ever.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #19
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYSON DURAN View Post
Just looking for a little help with Hector Camacho

He is a fighter that for whatever reason I haven’t seen much of, the only fight I can really recall watching is his loss to Julio Cesar Chavez.

I have just got hold of a 47 fight career collection and over the next few days I am hoping to get the time to have a look at him.

I was just wondering if you could take the time to recommend his best fights, based on performance and magnitude, for me to start off with.

Thanks in advance.
I grew up watching Camacho. He got his first national exposure on CBS sports Saturday July 1982. Before the fight Gil Clancy said Hector could out Ali, ALi himself. I didnt believe it and chalked it up to hype but after watching Hector dissasemble Louie Loy, I came to believe all that and more

It was painfully obvious that Hector was a master of hitting an oppoent from the blindside. Nobody else but Hector had ever shown this level of prowess & effectiveness with so few fights (15)

Judging Hector from that performance, I felt even the best of the 130 pounders including longtime champ Serrano, would be helpless before him

Since that time, as I surmised, Hector rose thru the ramks quickly. Nothing could stop him and like Roy Jones later would, dominated all before him with lightning speed & flash, too quick to ever hope to counter.

And like Roy Jones, being so advanced, won a champioship early in his career after just 3 yrs.

You could see that after his first few defenses, the 130 pound division began to bore him as he eyed the lightweight division. Every 130 pounder had pretty much given up hope with Hector in the way including upcoming Julio Caesar Chavez, who kept a low profile making sure not to make waves until Hector was safely out of the way, and wisely challenging for a vacant title

It too hector less than a year to wrest the WBC title from newly crowned champ Jose Luis Ramirez in a dominant showing, Ramirez no match for the speed of Camacho

Just as he had done at 130 pounds, Hector was every bit as dominant at 135!

But less than a year into his second reign, former champ Rosario put up a better effort than was expected. Hector just too him lightly just as Larry Holmes had taken Mike Weaver lightly 7 years before at MSG, nearly losing his belt

Hector would be careful not to repeat the same mistakes again in future fights

meanwhile, JC Chavez, again biding his time until Hector cleared out of the division until the timing was right, not wanting to create a demand between himself and Hector.

You could pretty much say that as long as Hector retained his speed and sharpness, the slower he walked, the slower JC chased him. There would be no fight between the two until five years later, long after drugs, parties, & women, ruined Hector, and the fight had become anything but relevent

the last time we would see Hector's TRUE form was June 1987 against former olympic champ Howard Davis Jr.

In a fight I felt would be competitive, being that Howard was a class fighter, I was shocked to see how easily Hector handled him. Again, Howard, a speed demon himself, was no match for the speed of Hector!

hector easily did whatever he wanted with Howard and there was nothing he could do about it. Hector won all 10 rounds convincingly.

Seeing Ray Leonard doing commentary from ringside, I wondered how the comebacking Leonard would have done against Hector seeing his own brilliant fighting skillz on display against a rapidly decling Marvin Hagler.

I felt even so, he would have been no match for Camacho. Little did I know, these two superstarz would be meeing in the future in a duel to the death!

altho both in decline, the fight had great appeal to me being that I called both the right man and the round which won me loadz of cassshhhh!

I felt warm all over! It was orgazmic

And while Leoanrd had found himself in some real fights earlier in his career and bearing the scarz to prove it, he had never been in fights like this! It was like being stabbed in the head, punched in the cut, and bit in the face all at the same time. it was just too much and once again, Hector had claimed another victim.

His finsihing skillz, his body punching ability had shocked everyone in the audience as Leoanrd groaned from his mortal wounds just before giving up the ghost

Some people say "well Ray Leonard was over te hill" which is true but they never tell you the other side of the story which is that Hector was every bit as much as over the hill, judging from HIS fight w Chavez five yrs before. I thought he should never be licensed to fight again after that.

But for magic night in Atlantic City, we saw the old skillz come back as Hector punished Leonard mercilessly and commited public rape, combining his once lost skillz with dirty street fighing (hitting behind the head while the ref was looking away) we thought was forever lost in the Loy fight.

Last edited by redrooster; 09-27-2011 at 09:36 PM.
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #20
Saintpat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Rooster is right about the Louie Loy fight. Loy wasn't a world-class guy, but Hector was early in his career. Camacho's performance was as brilliant as you will ever see for a guy on the way up.

Worth watching to gauge his natural gifts and what might have been had he not taken a huge turn due to one punch against Rosario.
Saintpat is online now  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #21
kikibalt
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintpat View Post
Rooster is right about the Louie Loy fight. Loy wasn't a world-class guy, but Hector was early in his career. Camacho's performance was as brilliant as you will ever see for a guy on the way up.

Worth watching to gauge his natural gifts and what might have been had he not taken a huge turn due to one punch against Rosario.
I knew Louie well back in those years, still do. they knew that Louie couldn't beat Hector, but took the fight for the money and for was to be Louie biggest payday $17,000.....
kikibalt is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2011, 12:56 AM   #22
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

His best performance was against Ramirez IMO.

Rosario changed him.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2011, 01:48 AM   #23
Vince Voltage
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Check out his first or second round demolition of John Montes, a highly regarded prospect at the time. Amazing speed, accuracy, and surprising power.
Vince Voltage is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2011, 05:52 AM   #24
TYSON DURAN
ESB Senior Member

Thanks to everyone for the imput

I watched Limon, Solis, Burke and Ramirez.

Was very impressed with the stoppage against Limon and the lead left on the back foot against Solis for the knock down was a thing of beauty. Burke although trained by Angelo Dundee looked well overmatch and within 30 seconds you could see it was just a matter of time.

Obviously like everyone one has said the Ramirez fight was the most impressive. To totally dominate him in the manner he did was amazing and a case could be made that Ramirez didn't win a round until the eleventh.

Going to watch Rosario and Boza-Edwards tonight and after reading what Redrooster wrote might sit down and watch Ray Leonard get beat up.

Thanks again
TYSON DURAN is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2011, 06:04 AM   #25
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Don't listen to RedRooster; he's a Leonard hater.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2011, 06:55 AM   #26
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
I grew up watching Camacho. He got his first national exposure on CBS sports Saturday July 1982. Before the fight Gil Clancy said Hector could out Ali, ALi himself. I didnt believe it and chalked it up to hype but after watching Hector dissasemble Louie Loy, I came to believe all that and more

It was painfully obvious that Hector was a master of hitting an oppoent from the blindside. Nobody else but Hector had ever shown this level of prowess & effectiveness with so few fights (15)

Judging Hector from that performance, I felt even the best of the 130 pounders including longtime champ Serrano, would be helpless before him

Since that time, as I surmised, Hector rose thru the ramks quickly. Nothing could stop him and like Roy Jones later would, dominated all before him with lightning speed & flash, too quick to ever hope to counter.

And like Roy Jones, being so advanced, won a champioship early in his career after just 3 yrs.

You could see that after his first few defenses, the 130 pound division began to bore him as he eyed the lightweight division. Every 130 pounder had pretty much given up hope with Hector in the way including upcoming Julio Caesar Chavez, who kept a low profile making sure not to make waves until Hector was safely out of the way, and wisely challenging for a vacant title

It too hector less than a year to wrest the WBC title from newly crowned champ Jose Luis Ramirez in a dominant showing, Ramirez no match for the speed of Camacho

Just as he had done at 130 pounds, Hector was every bit as dominant at 135!

But less than a year into his second reign, former champ Rosario put up a better effort than was expected. Hector just too him lightly just as Larry Holmes had taken Mike Weaver lightly 7 years before at MSG, nearly losing his belt

Hector would be careful not to repeat the same mistakes again in future fights

meanwhile, JC Chavez, again biding his time until Hector cleared out of the division until the timing was right, not wanting to create a demand between himself and Hector.

You could pretty much say that as long as Hector retained his speed and sharpness, the slower he walked, the slower JC chased him. There would be no fight between the two until five years later, long after drugs, parties, & women, ruined Hector, and the fight had become anything but relevent

the last time we would see Hector's TRUE form was June 1987 against former olympic champ Howard Davis Jr.

In a fight I felt would be competitive, being that Howard was a class fighter, I was shocked to see how easily Hector handled him. Again, Howard, a speed demon himself, was no match for the speed of Hector!

hector easily did whatever he wanted with Howard and there was nothing he could do about it. Hector won all 10 rounds convincingly.

Seeing Ray Leonard doing commentary from ringside, I wondered how the comebacking Leonard would have done against Hector seeing his own brilliant fighting skillz on display against a rapidly decling Marvin Hagler.

I felt even so, he would have been no match for Camacho. Little did I know, these two superstarz would be meeing in the future in a duel to the death!

altho both in decline, the fight had great appeal to me being that I called both the right man and the round which won me loadz of cassshhhh!

I felt warm all over! It was orgazmic

And while Leoanrd had found himself in some real fights earlier in his career and bearing the scarz to prove it, he had never been in fights like this! It was like being stabbed in the head, punched in the cut, and bit in the face all at the same time. it was just too much and once again, Hector had claimed another victim.

His finsihing skillz, his body punching ability had shocked everyone in the audience as Leoanrd groaned from his mortal wounds just before giving up the ghost

Some people say "well Ray Leonard was over te hill" which is true but they never tell you the other side of the story which is that Hector was every bit as much as over the hill, judging from HIS fight w Chavez five yrs before. I thought he should never be licensed to fight again after that.

But for magic night in Atlantic City, we saw the old skillz come back as Hector punished Leonard mercilessly and commited public rape, combining his once lost skillz with dirty street fighing (hitting behind the head while the ref was looking away) we thought was forever lost in the Loy fight.

you know, there was that 1 fight at 130 that showed a big flaw with Hector and he certainly did not look great---Cubanito Perez. I thought he was another guy that Camacho was going to overwhelm with that speed and did not think it was a competitive matchup. Wrong.

Lots of folks think Perez deserved the nod in a very close fight. The one thing he did not do was cooperate with that Camacho offense. Like say Limon did and that was a horrible match for Limon to take anyway. Guys that cooperate with Camcho have no chance and he is a great fighter and it's tough to even win a round against the guy. But the Perez fight showed some warts and I'm sure the Rosario camp took a lot out of that fight.

He was also like young Ali and the consensus was these guys could chase Hector and once they landed the fight would be over. What they didn't figure was Camacho for an all-time great chin. what a set of whiskers if you could land. But a fast southpaw, especially at 130 when he had legs, is a handful for anyone to beat.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2011, 07:03 AM   #27
TYSON DURAN
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Don't listen to RedRooster; he's a Leonard hater.

Ha ha ha

Mind you I'm not his biggest fan.

Changing the subject slightly, I see on another thread you've got Zamora vs Pedroza destruction. Where did you get that?
TYSON DURAN is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #28
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
Camacho was a guy who was headed to be great and one punch from Rosario made him safety first which affected the rest of his career. A very very good fighter, but not atg.
I disagree 100%

Hector Camacho was a modern day Henry Amrstrong, Camacho was a beautiful stylish boxer, where as Armstrong was probably more resilent and a much busier box/puncher, Armstrong fought in a better Era and is overall the better fighter!

But what they have in common was, they were both great little fighters who fought and beat everybody in their divisions and when that wasn't enough they stepped up to much bigger men outside their divisions, and proved their absolute supperiority and greatness.

Hector Camacho IS a modern ATG, more worthy of the acolade over many that have since followed him!!!
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #29
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

A career set? 47 fights of running and holding?

What an odd thing for someone to sell.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #30
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle1 View Post
I disagree 100%

Hector Camacho was a modern day Henry Amrstrong, Camacho was a beautiful stylish boxer, where as Armstrong was probably more resilent and a much busier box/puncher, Armstrong fought in a better Era and is overall the better fighter!

But what they have in common was, they were both great little fighters who fought and beat everybody in their divisions and when that wasn't enough they stepped up to much bigger men outside their divisions, and proved their absolute supperiority and greatness.

Hector Camacho IS a modern ATG, more worthy of the acolade over many that have since followed him!!!
Amen. To truly appreciate him you have to have watched Hector at the bieginning and then progress. Most of those here havent. so when they see Hector beat a superstar like Leonard, they view him as an affront to a manistream star

anyways, I thought it was great to finally see Hector perform against the big names. Most here dont realize that Hector who was at a significant size & reach disadvantage, won becuz he simply had a better mastery of the game, and had more fire, willing to take more chances
redrooster is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum