Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1036
Default Pavlik apologizes for terrible decisions

After getting back from a vacation in Disneyworld with his family he phoned Dunkin and said its not about the money anymore he will fight for ten thousand dollers.

Kelly Pavlik seeking another chance

September, 27, 2011 Sep 27
1:46
AM ET

Nearly two months have passed since former middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik, on the comeback trail after a stint in alcohol rehab earlier this year, bailed on a "ShoBox" fight against Darryl Cunningham the week of the bout in a stunningly unprofessional move.

It was a fight that Pavlik had requested in the first place, a fight that was intended to prepare him for a super middleweight title shot on Nov. 5 against Lucian Bute. In fact, Pavlik, who had returned with a shaky win in May, had excitedly talked about the Cunningham bout on a teleconference with reporters about a week before the scheduled fight date.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] AP Photo/Tim LarsenKelly Pavlik, right, has lost only to a pair of pound-for-pound greats -- including Sergio Martinez -- and, at age 29, might have time left to rediscover his past form.

In order to help Pavlik continue to shake off the rust from more than a year off, Top Rank, Pavlik's promoter, approached Showtime and got the "ShoBox" date in anticipation of Pavlik facing Bute on the network in November. Top Rank was willing (and likely) to lose money on the Aug. 6 Cunningham fight just to keep Pavlik busy, with the idea that it could recoup its losses through the Bute fight.

Then Pavlik, unhappy with a generous $50,000 purse to fight Cunningham and the $1.35 million he would have received to fight Bute (plus an additional $25,000 in training expenses), said to hell with both fights.

He simply walked away.

Pavlik left everyone in the lurch a few days before the fight: Top Rank (which had already spent money on the promotion for the Aug. 6 card), Showtime (which canceled the "ShoBox" date and lost an A-level attraction fight for the fall), Cunningham (whom Top Rank says it threw $5,000 for his trouble), Bute (who wound up lining up Glen Johnson instead) and Pavlik's fans in Youngstown, Ohio (where the fight was supposed to take place and where $50,000 is more than most people there make in an entire year).

According to Top Rank and manager Cameron Dunkin, they've had no communication with Pavlik since -- until last week.

That's when Dunkin, who has worked with Pavlik for his entire professional career, said Pavlik called him.

"I had a great talk with him," Dunkin told me the other day. "He called and said, 'Listen Cameron, I want to fight, I really want to get back into this. I want to kick some ass. I want to fight and get out of town and go to training camp somewhere.'"

Dunkin said Pavlik was taking his family on a trip to Disney World and that when he got back he wanted to set up a training camp and work on a "game plan."

"He said, 'When I get back, let's see when something could be available, and then I am ready to go full tilt. I want to get back to where I was when I was champion of the world. I want to get my body in shape and my mind right,'" said Dunkin, recounting his conversation with Pavlik.

Tweet, tweet

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Dunkin, like anyone, wouldn't be crazy if he were a bit skeptical. Pavlik has said this sort of thing before. Still, Dunkin said he sensed something in Pavlik's voice that was different from the other times.

"I have heard him say it before, but not like this," Dunkin said. "He was talking and talking. I said, 'OK, if you really want to do it, if you're sure you want to do it, I'll start putting things together, but I really want to see a commitment on your training. I want the old Kelly back if you can do it -- the guy who fought Edison Miranda and Jermain Taylor twice. Try to get that guy back.' He said, 'I really believe I can do this.'"

Dunkin said Pavlik apologized for his "horrible decisions" and said, "I will fight for $10,000 -- it's not about money. I really want to do this."

Dunkin said he was excited to hear Pavlik talk with the kind of hunger he hadn't sensed from the fighter in quite some time.

"He said, 'I know I've made some mistakes, I know I f----- up,'" Dunkin said. "And then he goes, 'I just want to fight.'"

Dunkin relayed the conversation to Top Rank president Todd duBoef, who suggested that Pavlik, trainer Jack Loew and co-manager and father Mike Pavlik pay a visit to Top Rank in Las Vegas so they could sit down and talk things out.

Hopefully, Pavlik (37-2, 32 KOs), whose only losses are to all-time great Bernard Hopkins and reigning middleweight champ and pound-for-pound-ranked Sergio Martinez, will do just that.

Pavlik is only 29. It isn't too late for him to try to make another run -- but he has to be clean, sober and dedicated.

If he is, boxing -- and Pavlik -- will be better for it.

Last edited by Big Red; 09-27-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Big Red is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
ImElvis666
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 227381
Default Re: Pavlik apologizes for terrible decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
Pavlik is only 29. It isn't too late for him to try to make another run -- but he has to be clean, sober and dedicated.[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
I wish I could say I have faith in that happening. Hope I'm wrong.
ImElvis666 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
lzolnier
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

**** him. No one is entitled to so many chances. Not even White trailer trash supposedly coming to his senses after Disney World.
lzolnier is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
unloco
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 81

id like to see him healthy and focussed
unloco is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
deaman
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1537

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzolnier View Post
**** him. No one is entitled to so many chances. Not even White trailer trash coming to his senses after Disney World.
Calling him trailer trash is a bit far. But I do agree he's had more second chances in boxing than anyone I can think of recently.

Let's wait and see how he feels once the Disney World buzz wears off.
deaman is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
Boxing Fanatic
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

dude is shot. hes got to just work out. fug everything. stop abusing his body and start taking care of himself. easier said than done
Boxing Fanatic is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
v2k987
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1582

I used to like Kelly... but i have lost a lot of respect for him over the years.

At his best he is a credit to boxing. At his worst he is a black eye for boxing. Hopefully he can regain his old form but i think he needs several fights before that happens
v2k987 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
CHAL_DIESEL
GOAT
ESB Senior Member

I would love to see the ghost make a comeback and prove all the naysayers wrong.
CHAL_DIESEL is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzolnier View Post
**** him. No one is entitled to so many chances. Not even White trailer trash supposedly coming to his senses after Disney World.
You don't think he should get a chance to fight again for ten thousand dollers? I don't know what the going rate is for fighters like Pavlik but that seems pretty cheap.
Big Red is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
Sidious
Contender
ESB Senior Member

great story bro.but i doubt he will fight for 10k,he can only buy peanuts with that kind of money and we all know he needs some booze too
Sidious is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
Goodfella
Team Elite 2012 Cool Cat

vCash: 1615

lol deluded nuthuggers.
Goodfella is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #12
Flash Jab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 100

Good to hear, hope he gets back on the right path.
Flash Jab is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #13
BigBone
It was man, it ****in was
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Sup Boo!

With all due respect, he shouldn't apologize just to Dunkin over the phone, but to all of his fanbase, Top Rank and Showtime in a public statement, that's the very minimum for any kind of conversation to start. Whatever happens, whatever you do, you must never be disloyal to your loyal fanbase, it's two-way traffic and whatever his reasons were - and was only his to make - it was not nice to his hometown fans.

Haters gonna hate, but don't pull shit on those who are still riding the wagon. It's just sad that this incident pushed Kelly's career a good 18 months back, we were really looking forward to the Bute fight, a logical one to make some noise at 168lbs.
BigBone is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #14
Knickerbocker
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

who cares about the great white hype
Knickerbocker is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #15
Bub
Belt holder