Old 09-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #16
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Re: Ricardo Lopez undeated champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
I heard Lopez called for those matches. They were the ones at fault. At least Carbajal.
Sources or it didn't happen, El.
Addie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #17
FlyingFrenchman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Lopez was very good but his level of competition was not the best. Sure, he fought who was out there... at his weight... but who was out there?

Hardcore boxing fans of the day wanted to see him rise in weight and take on the likes of Michael Carbajal, Humberto Gonzalez, Myung-Woo Yuh, or even Hiroki Ioka (the only man to defeat Yuh) at 108 Lbs.

It was 3 fvcking Lbs!!! I've taken shlts bigger than that. Eventually he did fight at 108 but it was too late to fight the mentioned fighters.

The only fighter he really struggled with was Rosendo Alvarez. They fought to a TD8 in '98 and Lopez beat him by SD in '98 as well.

It would have been nice to see him vs. at least one of the guys mentioned above. I'm not convinced he could have beat Carbajal.
FlyingFrenchman is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #18
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139

like the posts so far. there were a handful of fights, outside his weight class, that could have added to his legacy.

by nature of his size, he could never be a top 10 guy. The division NEVER had the talent needed to do that. at least never at one time.

lopez is judged primarily on his skills, which were immaculate and is punished for his resume, which is understandably weak
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #19
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Yes, and there's a definitely as big a weight disparity between Straw and Light-Fly as there is middle and Light Heavy, Zadfrak. You schooled me, and I apologise.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #20
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

If you don't rate Lopez as the best thing since sliced bread then you are bombarded with useless spreadsheets about fighters he beat that were 'paperweight champion for 15 years afterward'.

He had a couple of good wins. But nothing special. Yeah, aesthetically, he's a joy to watch. But with his frame, he should've moved up.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #21
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

for Michael Carbajal and Humberto Gonzalez my take is this: lopez can't be punished or accused of ducking them necessarily but he can't be rewarded for not fighting them either.

they aren't knocks against him for me but do represent massive gaps in his legacy that could have been filled by fighting either
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #22
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorodz View Post
for Michael Carbajal and Humberto Gonzalez my take is this: lopez can't be punished or accused of ducking them necessarily but he can't be rewarded for not fighting them either.

they aren't knocks against him for me but do represent massive gaps in his legacy that could have been filled by fighting either
This.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #23
FlyingFrenchman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Yes, a fight vs. Yuri Arbachakov would have been great but if he didn't want to go up 3 Lbs. I doubt he'd want to go up 7. Hell, why not put on yet another 3 and take on Khaosai Galaxy? It would have been nice had he taken chances like this.

All in all we're talking about a 10 Lb weight gain... even if he took on Galaxy. It's less than 10% of his prime fighting weight limit of 105 Lbs. When a guy goes from 147 to 160 (very common) it's about a 9% jump... about the same as if Lopez would have fought Galaxy.
FlyingFrenchman is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #24
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
vCash: 1000

Quote:

yeah, definitely this. Winds me up when fighters get rated negatviely for not fighting certain fighters, as if that is an automatic indication that they could not have beaten those fighters. I rate fighters on what they did though, who they did beat, and who they did lose to, call me crazy though.............
teeto is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #25
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
yeah, definitely this. Winds me up when fighters get rated negatviely for not fighting certain fighters, as if that is an automatic indication that they could not have beaten those fighters. I rate fighters on what they did though, who they did beat, and who they did lose to, call me crazy though.............
well said. his career isn't docked for not having these fights and all we can judge him on are the fights he did have. unfortunately, no hall of famers are on his ledger and it would've certainly helped if they were
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #26
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 4120

So he probably does not deserve top 30 ranking but then why didn't Michael Carbajal & Humberto Gonzales come to him ?

because they were bigger , and those 3 lbs were critical for them but doable for Lopez . He was in fact smaller . Sure , he was no Langford or Armstrong , but then those 2 were stopped by men their own size (3 lbs heavier in Armstrong's case )
Greb was initially stopped twice by bigger men when he tried it , but I won't compare Lopez 2 Greb yet .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #27
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
And on that basis, Lopez can't really hope for a very flattering All-Time Great Ranking.

Quote:
So he probably does not deserve top 30 ranking
Probably? Definitely not.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #28
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
well said. his career isn't docked for not having these fights and all we can judge him on are the fights he did have. unfortunately, no hall of famers are on his ledger and it would've certainly helped if they were
yep, that's it

end/thread
teeto is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #29
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
And on that basis, Lopez can't really hope for a very flattering All-Time Great Ranking.

Probably? Definitely not.
see post 28
teeto is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #30
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Teeto has been blessed with the power to end threads.
Addie is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum