Old 12-11-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 150
Default Joey Giardello vs. Eduardo Lausse

15 rounds at middleweight.
Who and why?
I lean slightly toward Giardello due to his counter punching...Lausse would take the fight to Joey....But I don't think he can hurt Giardello at all, however. It's very close in my opinion.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joey Giardello vs. Eduardo Lausse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw417
15 rounds at middleweight.
Who and why?
I lean slightly toward Giardello due to his counter punching...Lausse would take the fight to Joey....But I don't think he can hurt Giardello at all, however. It's very close in my opinion.
I agree with your assessment Dan, and I think that Joey G would have won a decision as well with the deciding factor here being Joey`s quicker feet and ring generalship. Lausse would be dangerous until the final bell and would always be pressing forward looking to land that thunderous left.

But Joey would dance out of harm`s way more often than not while countering him in the process. And even when he would have eventually gotten tagged he had the chin to take it. Eduardo`s aggression and quick hands will see him get his pound of flesh in, but Joey`s quicker hands and accurate counters landed will see him win the day when all is said and done.

Giardello SD Lausse
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
frankwornank
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Joey Giardello had one of the all-time great chins and he was very hard to hit clean. On top of that, he was a sharpshooter, he could counter you all night long. He was an outstanding all-around fighter.

I liked Lausee a lot. He and Joey are among my five all-time favorites. If Eduardo were to catch Joey with one of his left hooks, he would wobble Joey but he would survive it, shake it off and once again sharp shoot his way to a UD.
frankwornank is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I think Giardello was better than Dick Tiger. He went 2-1 with him until the last fight where Tiger evened it up; and Giardello was quite a way past his best. He was still good, very good infact, but he wasn't the quicker, more aggressive trickster of the mid '50s. That Giardello would beat most of the great middleweights in my opinion.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #5
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

Manassa,

Just out of curiosity have you seen any footage of Lausse?
Old 12-12-2007, 05:51 PM   #6
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging B(_)LL
Manassa,

Just out of curiosity have you seen any footage of Lausse?
Indeed I have. I would never dispute his ability, but Giardello was just... Better.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #7
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa
Indeed I have. I would never dispute his ability, but Giardello was just... Better.
Don`t get me wrong Manassa, I wasn`t trying to imply that by watching some footage of Lausse you would be swayed in your opinion on the outcome of this matchup... after all I also picked Joey G to win. The reason I asked you was simply because I have never heard you speak of or say anything about him, and I was willing to send you some film of him if you hadn`t seen any of his fights. What fights of Lausse have you seen if you don`t mind me asking?
Old 12-12-2007, 06:47 PM   #8
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:
Don`t get me wrong Manassa, I wasn`t trying to imply that by watching some footage of Lausse you would be swayed in your opinion on the outcome of this matchup... after all I also picked Joey G to win. The reason I asked you was simply because I have never heard you speak of or say anything about him, and I was willing to send you some film of him if you hadn`t seen any of his fights. What fights of Lausse have you seen if you don`t mind me asking?
I've seen him against Fullmer. Reminded me of Valdez in the structure of his fighting; a very strong puncher, but moderately-to-significantly skilled with it. Slightly better than Florentino Fernandez, who I sometimes confuse him with. I had the chance to aquire another Lausse fight, I don't remember against who, off a fight collector as a free gift when I ordered some Napoles fights a few months back - but I said don't worry about it!

Manassa is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2007, 06:53 PM   #9
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I've seen him against Fullmer. Reminded me of Valdez in the structure of his fighting; a very strong puncher, but moderately-to-significantly skilled with it. Slightly better than Florentino Fernandez, who I sometimes confuse him with. I had the chance to aquire another Lausse fight, I don't remember against who, off a fight collector as a free gift when I ordered some Napoles fights a few months back - but I said don't worry about it!

Manassa, would that other bout happen to be the Varona or Pigou bouts by any chance? I have 6 Lausse fights altogether, and am always on the lookout for more but alas I think that is about all I shall find. Although I have heard that his bout with Milo Savage was filmed and is out there, although I have never been able to track down a copy myself. Anyway, few fighters had the kind of torque and explosiveness that Lausse had in that left hook of his... he carried it like an explosive charge ready to go off at a moments notice.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:03 PM   #10
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:
Manassa, would that other bout happen to be the Varona or Pigou bouts by any chance? I have 6 Lausse fights altogether, and am always on the lookout for more but alas I think that is about all I shall find. Although I have heard that his bout with Milo Savage was filmed and is out there, although I have never been able to track down a copy myself. Anyway, few fighters had the kind of torque and explosiveness that Lausse had in that left hook of his... he carried it like an explosive charge ready to go off at a moments notice.
Well done, it was the Pigou fight. I've heard it was a scorcher, or am I thinking of another one?

Last edited by crazyboy867; 11-06-2006 at 02:17 AM.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2007, 07:37 PM   #11
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Well done, it was the Pigou fight. I've heard it was a scorcher, or am I thinking of another one?
Nope was indeed the Pigou fight, and yes it was some brawl. I get the impression from reading your post that you haven`t watched it yet, if that is the case do yourself a favour and pop it in the dvd player tonight, you won`t be disapointed.

And if you want to see a beauty of a KO, get a hold of Eduardo`s fight against Chico Varona. The finishing left hook had so much power behind it that it literally sent Varona flying to the deck with one leg stuck underneath his body once he crashed to the deck.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:00 PM   #12
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
RB, if you don't mind me asking, what Lausse fights do you have? Would you know if there is a film of Giardello/Hank? If memory serves me it was the Ring's fight of the year in '63
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2007, 11:11 AM   #13
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw417
RB, if you don't mind me asking, what Lausse fights do you have? Would you know if there is a film of Giardello/Hank? If memory serves me it was the Ring's fight of the year in '63
Hi Dan,

All I have on Lausse is the following:

Lausse vs Marcel Pigou
vs Chico Varona
vs Bobby Boyd
vs Gene Fullmer
vs Wilf Greaves
vs Johnny Sullivan (HL, 4min)

As for wether the Giardello/Hank fight is available, to my knowledge it is not. I am certain it was filmed, but a copy has not surfaced so far and it doesn`t look like one will sadly... although you never know.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:07 PM   #14
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Hi Dan,

All I have on Lausse is the following:

Lausse vs Marcel Pigou
vs Chico Varona
vs Bobby Boyd
vs Gene Fullmer
vs Wilf Greaves
vs Johnny Sullivan (HL, 4min)

As for wether the Giardello/Hank fight is available, to my knowledge it is not. I am certain it was filmed, but a copy has not surfaced so far and it doesn`t look like one will sadly... although you never know.
Thanks, Craig.
I'd love to see that Giardello/Hank fight...Recently saw Giardello/Mimms on a fight list...but I'm on the lookout for the Hank fight.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2007, 11:23 PM   #15
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

All I have of Giardello is:

Panter
Cartier II
Troy
Carter
Fullmer
Tiger III
Tiger IV

I gather there is a fair bit more footage out there.
Manassa is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum