Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-11-2007, 08:05 PM   #1
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default 2008 Hall of fame class

The International Boxing Hall of Fame and Museum announced today the newest class of inductees to enter the Hall.

Living inductees include heavyweight champion Larry Holmes (USA), junior welterweight champion Eddie Perkins (USA), promoter Mogens Palle (Denmark), promoter Frank ****** (UK), Fightnews.com feature writer and long time boxing journalist Joe Koizumi (Japan) and New York Times journalist Dave Anderson (USA).

The 19th Annual Hall of Fame Weekend is scheduled for June 5-8th in Canastota, NY. Over 20 events, including a golf tournament, banquet, parade and autograph card show, are planned. A celebrity lineup of over 50 boxing greats of yesterday and today will attend this year's Induction Weekend. The highlight of the weekend will be the Official Enshrinement Ceremony on the Hall of Fame Museum Grounds in Canastota, New York on Sunday, June 8th to welcome the newest members.The Hall of Fame also released names of posthumous honorees: middleweight Holman Williams in the Modern Category; light heavyweight Len Harvey, middleweight Frank Klaus and welterweight Harry Lewis in the Old-Timer Category; trainer Bill Gore in the Non-Participant Category; and Dan Donnelly in the Pioneer Category.tegory.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2007, 12:41 AM   #2
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: 2008 Hall of fame class

congrats to larry holmes and especially the underappreciated holman williams. but len harvey? i have film of him, no way he belongs in their anymore than two ton tony galento
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2007, 12:54 AM   #3
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Nice to see Eddie Perkins get his due...
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2007, 12:58 AM   #4
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Why didnt donald curry get in, this is stupid. He was a top 3 p4per for 2 years and he's certainly among the top 15 of all times at welterweight.
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2007, 06:40 AM   #5
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

I'm very pleased by the induction of Eddie Perkins, not the least of the reasons being that it boosts Duilio Loi's historical status. Better yet, Eddie's been able to publicly acknowlege and fully appreciate the recognition, having just entered his seventh decade.

Len Harvey's inclusion renews hope that Nel Tarleton will eventually join the newly honored Cornishman among the IBHOF ranks. Hopefully, Harvey's presence as an enshrinee will help promote knowledge of boxing's history from within the place of origin.

The long overdue arrival of Holman Williams could signal the impending acknowledgment of others deprived of championship opportunities by the advent of WW II.

Finally, the one marquee name familiar to the general public among the honorees is that of Larry Holmes. The Easton Assassin will be in some fine company among the other freshly minted Hall of Famers. However, this should ultimately be Larry's event, an occasion where the spotlight is deservedly all his, an undiluted ceremony of achievement, with no competition for attention. If he chooses carefully to do so, he can make this a redefining moment in his historical legacy. This could be the most widely media covered development at the IBHOF for years to come. I hope Larry makes the most and best of it. The sport could greatly benefit from a praiseworthy celebration.

While Larry has discussed how some in the media have shortchanged him over the years, he recognizes that certain opinions of the sporting press do not necessarily reflect of how the vast majority of rank and file fans regard him. It matters that he understands this. But now, he has actually been selected for honor by some of those who were his severest critics, at the earliest possible moment. Ultimately, ring greatness has prevailed.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2007, 06:44 AM   #6
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88
Why didnt donald curry get in, this is stupid. He was a top 3 p4per for 2 years and he's certainly among the top 15 of all times at welterweight.
I'm glad Donald didn't get in this year, so that Holmes could get his full due without the distraction of a contemporary peer to share his spotlight. The Cobra will eventually get in, but Larry deserves to have this moment in the sun all to himself.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2007, 09:35 AM   #7
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

The whole thing is a ridiculous joke and it means nothing to me.

Nice to see Holman Williams get a mention though.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
BIG DEE
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

BIG DEE HERE= It`s about time that Frank Klaus got the hell in as he deserves it if anybody does as he was a helluva Middlweight 50 W 5 L 2 D
27 KOs 33 ND 1 EX. World Middleweight Champion hefought every great fighter of his time including Stanley Ketchel, Billy Papke, Hugo Kelly, Joe Thomas, Georges Carpentier, Jack Dillon, Jimmy Gardner, Harry Lewis, George Chip and Harry Greb. Quite a line up of great ones. HE BELONGS WITHOUT
QUESTION.
BIG DEE is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2007, 10:56 AM   #9
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49
congrats to larry holmes and especially the underappreciated holman williams. but len harvey? i have film of him, no way he belongs in their anymore than two ton tony galento
What film is that?.Are there any complete fights available.

I have some highlights of a few fights but nothing that could really give a good idea of him.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #10
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I have 3 fights of len harvey, let me go check. He was a decent boxer, but he was no world beater let alone a hall of famer
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2007, 03:48 PM   #11
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Good to see Holman Williams getting in the hall of fame he deserves it.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #12
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Legend
frank ****** is actively trying to kill boxing.

Salute!
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2007, 04:44 PM   #13
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Your avatar is most godly.
Beauty isn't it? The one you made looked shit in an avatar. I put it on my desktop though. Put me in a Tyson mood. This is my favourite of mike. Second is a belter of him and Cus in black and white, Cus looking across him, Mike looking down, his face dark.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2007, 05:03 PM   #14
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
watch tyson-berbick and stand in awe as a man who as a green novice went 15 against larry holmes get demolished in 2.
His finest moment in the ring? In your opinion?
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2007, 07:40 PM   #15
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
The International Boxing Hall of Fame and Museum announced today the newest class of inductees to enter the Hall.

Living inductees include heavyweight champion Larry Holmes (USA), junior welterweight champion Eddie Perkins (USA), promoter Mogens Palle (Denmark), promoter Frank ****** (UK), Fightnews.com feature writer and long time boxing journalist Joe Koizumi (Japan) and New York Times journalist Dave Anderson (USA).

The 19th Annual Hall of Fame Weekend is scheduled for June 5-8th in Canastota, NY. Over 20 events, including a golf tournament, banquet, parade and autograph card show, are planned. A celebrity lineup of over 50 boxing greats of yesterday and today will attend this year's Induction Weekend. The highlight of the weekend will be the Official Enshrinement Ceremony on the Hall of Fame Museum Grounds in Canastota, New York on Sunday, June 8th to welcome the newest members.The Hall of Fame also released names of posthumous honorees: middleweight Holman Williams in the Modern Category; light heavyweight Len Harvey, middleweight Frank Klaus and welterweight Harry Lewis in the Old-Timer Category; trainer Bill Gore in the Non-Participant Category; and Dan Donnelly in the Pioneer Category.tegory.
Larry Holmes has been partying, he wasn't at the gym all week. He's out enjoying him self at his bar/lounge.
Bill1234 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum