Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #76
peakbay
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 720
Default Re: Sky's mocking of Martinez P4P status

of course the british meadia show favouritism to home fighters everyone dose it EVERYONE. stop trying to be all high and mighty pretending your country never does it.

mocking his p4p status? well did he look p4p #3 material to anyone in that fight? he did have a bad 09. despite most feeling he won those fights, he didnt win them.

they might have been abit harsh but nowhere near as bad as some are making out. if martinez has 2 more fights like that against the same level of opposition he'll be on no one's p4p list or shouldn't be.
peakbay is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #77
MichiganWarrior
Still Slick! Still Black!
East Side VIP

vCash: 571

Quote:
Originally Posted by demigawd View Post
A fighter will always look bad against an opponent who is only interested in defending himself. Barker has an almost eastern europeean style of blocking all incoming fire and then every so often, when he's absolutely sure something will land, will fire back. It's an ugly style that makes for ugly fights and bad performances all around. Just look at Pacquiao-Clottey as a point of reference.

I'm clearly alone in thinking this, but I'm actually IMPRESSED by Martinez' performance. I didn't think he was going to KO Barker, and the fact that he did exceeded my expectations.

Martinez fought for two, and all things considered, turned in a very watchable performance.

Martinez lacks alot of fundamentals. But he is really intelligent in the ring and adjusts brilliantly. He started breaking Barker down to the body early on and it paid off late.

I mean just because punches arent landing clean doesnt mean they arent having an impact. Barkers brain is still rocking in his skull with every punch. And finally something just gave way.
MichiganWarrior is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #78
demigawd
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWarrior View Post
Martinez lacks alot of fundamentals. But he is really intelligent in the ring and adjusts brilliantly. He started breaking Barker down to the body early on and it paid off late.

I mean just because punches arent landing clean doesnt mean they arent having an impact. Barkers brain is still rocking in his skull with every punch. And finally something just gave way.
Agreed. People are giving Martinez a hard time when he WON. By knockout!

I don't think it's at all clear that all Barker needed to do was throw more and he would have won. It's actually MORE likely that he would have lost sooner if he had. I would also argue that Martinez would have not been tagged as often if he didn't attempt to invite more action from Barker with his Calzaghe/Jones impersonation to get Barker to throw.

It's a stylistic thing, really.
demigawd is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #79
peakbay
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 720

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMuffin View Post
You think those dudes are bad, you should hear the other dude called Jim Watt! It's like he's watching a different fight most of the time!!

Martinez performance was poor all credit to Barker for making it a tough fight and showing he deserved the title shot.

All those bitching about him holding his hands up high and taking the shots watch Winky or watch the Benn vs Watson fight.
i dont really like jim's commentary but one thing that i've never noticed is him being biased towards british fighters, if anything he's the total opposite.
peakbay is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #80
MarkSe
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexe View Post
They shat all over him. Martinez was robbed vs Cintron for starters and Pwill was lucky to get the nod vs Martinez.

Martinez hasn't been truly beaten since Margarito.
Good points, although a real P4P fighter, should not be letting it get that close. He is a good fighter, but I do think overrated. Easy to hit and seemed a bit lost for ideas.
MarkSe is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #81
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSe View Post
Good points, although a real P4P fighter, should not be letting it get that close. He is a good fighter, but I do think overrated. Easy to hit and seemed a bit lost for ideas.
Martinez stopped Cintron and Williams was the P4P rated fighter at the time of their first fight?
Addie is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #82
MarkSe
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Martinez stopped Cintron and Williams was the P4P rated fighter at the time of their first fight?
He lost to a 1 dimensional pressure fighter in Margarito and he never really set any divison alight prior to this... not a P4P star in my book. Also PWill was a KO waiting to happen, he was truly overrated.

I think Martinez is a little unfortunately that 160 is a weaker division and he seems relunctant to go up in weight, it would litterally be a 5lb gain for him to mix it up with the super 6 contenders. Yet he calls out 147 lbers....
MarkSe is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #83
purephase
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
Pavlik was in a sauna suit running 10 miles a day even up the day before the fight to make weight. And he went into the fight a drained fighter. And Martinez won't move up 4 pounds to give Pavlik the same guy that gave him a shot a rematch. Does not sound fair to me.

Here is an artical 3 weeks after the fight that I still remember well but looks like some of you need a reminder of how things went down. I have bolded the section that talks about Pavlik wanting a fight at 164 with Martinez. I still remember the laugh Martinez let out when he heard Pavlik wanted a rematch at 164. I knew at that point Martinez had no honor.

By Colin Linneweber

It’s been nearly three weeks since Kelly “The Ghost” Pavlik relinquished his WBC and WBO middleweight championships to Sergio Martinez via unanimous decision and the wounds on his face are still readily visible.
Pavlik (36-2, 32 KOs) was badly bludgeoned by Martinez (45-2-2, 24 KOs) during their matchup and “The Ghost’s” corner has received enormous flak for not managing to close the slices around his eyes.
“Worst job by a cut man since (Mike) Tyson’s guy against Buster Douglas,” said one Boston trainer from Southie.
Pavlik’s promoter, Bob Arum, also chimed in with complaints against the native of Youngstown, Ohio’s corner.
“They need to reevaluate their entire team,” said Arum, who admitted during a 2000 federal trial that he is a bribing and corruptible snake.
“They have to start listening to people who know. Maybe the result would have been different if they had an experienced cut man. To have a cut man that was so ineffective is inexcusable.

"But they are the kind of people that you can’t tell anything to. At least we haven’t been able to. Kelly needs to go away to train. He has to have a nutritionist. You can’t bulk up and then try to lose weight when all you’re doing is eating muscle. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] is not a mom and pop sport anymore. And that’s what they don’t get.”
Pavlik has employed Jack Loew from his hometown as his trainer for his entire career.
What Arum doesn’t “get” is the definition of the word loyalty.
“My corner was giving me all the right advice,” said Pavlik, 28, who suffered his first loss as a prizefighter to Bernard Hopkins (51-5-1, 32 KOs) in October 2008. “Everything (Loew) was telling me between rounds made sense. I just wasn’t able to capitalize on it. And when that blood started to get in my eye, I just couldn’t do anything. I give a lot of credit to guys who have fought with blood in their eyes. It’s a real pain in the ass.”

Pavlik said he would like to utilize his rematch clause to again battle Martinez.
However, he said he would only scrap Martinez at 164 pounds, and not again at 160 pounds.
“I took my rematch with Jermain Taylor at a catch weight,” said Pavlik. “He should give it to me.”

Unfortunately for “The Ghost,” Martinez’s flunkies made it clear that there is a better chance of Paris Hilton preaching abstinence than of their fighter adding weight to again fight Pavlik.
Therefore, Pavlik needs to focus his attention onto either undefeated IBF super middleweight titlist Lucian Bute (26-0, 21 KOs) or retired cokehead “The Italian Dragon” Joe Calzaghe (46-0, 32 KOs).
Calzaghe, a Welshman who hung-up his gloves as an unbeaten champ after he trumped Roy Jones (54-7, 40 KOs) by unanimous decision in November 2008, is reportedly on the cusp of returning to the ring.
When Pavlik was recently asked if he’d like to matchup against Calzaghe, he responded, “F--- yeah I’ll do it. I’d love to fight Joe.”
Since going 34-0 to begin his career, Pavlik has now lost two of his last four bouts.
Beyond his struggles in the squared circle, Pavlik has also been tormented recovering from his twice surgically repaired left-hand.
Pavlik uses an orthodox stance and his right-hand is still as thunderous and potent as ever.
However, Pavlik’s jabbing is what prepares and positions him to launch his mighty right.
If Pavlik’s left-hand remains troublesome, he may have difficulty establishing an advantage and that could preclude him from ever being the fearsome puncher he once was.
Provided that Pavlik regains his health and form, a matchup pitting him versus Calzaghe would be intriguing.
Calzaghe was an enormously skilled pugilist and he is considered one of the best boxers of the past 25 years.
Nevertheless, Calzaghe is now 38 and he hasn’t fought in nearly two years while he’s been doing blow.
Pavlik could revitalize his fledging reputation with one resounding victory over a marquee opponent.
Joe Calzaghe is that “marquee opponent” and, at this juncture, the Welshmen would get smoked by the Ohioan.
“A lot of fighters have four or five losses. I have two,” said Pavlik. “I know my next fight is important.”
Pavlik’s next fight is indeed extremely “important.”
If they do meet, expect “The Ghost” to knock “The Italian Dragon” onto Queer Street for his first ever loss.
And? So what? Pavlik and/or his team were apparently too dumb to make having a rematch above the middleweight limit a condition of the fight. Pavlik didn't give Taylor the rematch above the middleweight limit out of the kindness of his heart; the rematch being held at that weight was a condition of Taylor giving him the fight in the first place. Pavlik could have made the exact same demand of Martinez but he or his team apparently never contemplated the fact that he might lose. Martinez's obligation only extends to what was agreed to in the contract. If Pavlik also couldn't make 164, should Martinez simply be expected to continue to chase him up in weight because "he gave him a shot"?
purephase is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #84
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
He lost to a 1 dimensional pressure fighter in Margarito and he never really set any divison alight prior to this... not a P4P star in my book. Also PWill was a KO waiting to happen, he was truly overrated.
Hopefully you're only kidding and you know this, but the Margarito defeat was in 2000. It was his 18th professional fight.

So you predicted Martinez was going to win by KO? I mean, Williams had looked so vulnerable in all of his fights prior to this. Oh..wait.

Quote:
I think Martinez is a little unfortunately that 160 is a weaker division and he seems relunctant to go up in weight, it would litterally be a 5lb gain for him to mix it up with the super 6 contenders. Yet he calls out 147 lbers....
He didn't just call out 147lbs fighters, he called out arguably the two best fighters of the last 15-20 years. He called out fighters who were dominating every time out, and two fighters who have already campaigned north of Welterweight.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #85
PhonyGamboa
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Cintron is criticized by everyone as being a no heart, quitter who jumped out of the ring and never won any fight that was substancial. Williams, now this guy, I don't know how/why he was on any PFP list. He simply eats punches for breakfast, lunch, dinner, between meals, desert, before bed...I'm serious. I get he throws lots of punches and that makes for action packed fights but every fight for him became a war with him looking like he was put into a meat grinder. A certain KO waiting to happen.

It did and that for a reason or another turned Martinez into PFP #3? I don't understand why beating Williams turns you into a Christ like figure tbh. Lara did that, didn't get the decision but now the rumblings from some are he is the best at 154...because he beat Williams? I just don't get it, look forward to the next Williams loss, whoever does it becomes automatic ATG and induction to the HOF.
PhonyGamboa is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #86
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by purephase View Post
And? So what? Pavlik and/or his team were apparently too dumb to make having a rematch above the middleweight limit a condition of the fight. Pavlik didn't give Taylor the rematch above the middleweight limit out of the kindness of his heart; the rematch being held at that weight was a condition of Taylor giving him the fight in the first place. Pavlik could have made the exact same demand of Martinez but he or his team apparently never contemplated the fact that he might lose. Martinez's obligation only extends to what was agreed to in the contract. If Pavlik also couldn't make 164, should Martinez simply be expected to continue to chase him up in weight because "he gave him a shot"?
Pavlik said he would fight Sergio at 164 pounds and Sergio said no. Pavlik was killing himself to make weight to fight Sergio at 160 pounds. He was running 10 miles a day in a sauna suit up untill the day of the fight to make the fight happen. He gave Sergio a shot even though he was weight drained. But Sergio can't move up 4 pounds to rematch Pavlik the guy who helped make him the middle weight champ? That's bs!

Last edited by Big Red; 10-03-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Big Red is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #87
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhonyGamboa View Post
Cintron is criticized by everyone as being a no heart, quitter who jumped out of the ring and never won any fight that was substancial. Williams, now this guy, I don't know how/why he was on any PFP list. He simply eats punches for breakfast, lunch, dinner, between meals, desert, before bed...I'm serious. I get he throws lots of punches and that makes for action packed fights but every fight for him became a war with him looking like he was put into a meat grinder. A certain KO waiting to happen.

It did and that for a reason or another turned Martinez into PFP #3? I don't understand why beating Williams turns you into a Christ like figure tbh. Lara did that, didn't get the decision but now the rumblings from some are he is the best at 154...because he beat Williams? I just don't get it, look forward to the next Williams loss, whoever does it becomes automatic ATG and induction to the HOF.
Cool story, bro.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #88
Max Banjo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 3325

Quote:
It was horrifying.

"Sergio Martinez had a really bad 09. He drew with Cintron and lost to Williams."
i was shouting at the tv that he beat cintron! it shows they just read the results..... didnt actually take the time to see the fights.....
Max Banjo is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #89
mtz
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

williams lost to QUINTANA who cares what he did after (the KO) quintana is as bad as it gets, dude he was truly overrated and garbage ...

Sergio inherited williams overrated status and sucks just as bad.. and the cintron win wow such a badass opponent (and thats me knowing he won the fight who cares what the judges scored or why the ref let the fight go on)
mtz is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #90
silly_illy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
It was horrifying.

"Sergio Martinez had a really bad 09. He drew with Cintron and lost to Williams."

^^^ Clearly proves the sky pundits just go on BoxRec & pretend to know everything.

lol he beat Cintron twice in the same fight, & was robbed with PW.
silly_illy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum