Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #16
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: How much can you deadlift?

Just done 150kg after not doing the move at all for nearly 7 weeks.

My 1rpm was 170, so i'm happy with that kind of weight after nearly two months off of doing the lift.

I felt that i could of got 160 but i'm happy with what i got.

Goal before the year's out is 185-200kg.
Nipple is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #17
Windigo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
Deadlift has almost nothing to do with boxing mate
Yes it does. The lower back is the most important muscle group in almost any sport. The moment it tires you lose the ability to transfer the power from your legs to your upper body. Without your lower back you are less than half a man. Boxing like any sport is about power angles. The moment you lose your back you lose your power angles. The power may be coming from other places that you think are more important but all of it runs through the lower back.
Windigo is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #18
MrSmall
Journeyman

I don't think anyone said there was a correlation between boxing skill and deadlift strength. Deadlifting can help your physical attributes as a boxer, though.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #19
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
Yes it does. The lower back is the most important muscle group in almost any sport. The moment it tires you lose the ability to transfer the power from your legs to your upper body. Without your lower back you are less than half a man. Boxing like any sport is about power angles. The moment you lose your back you lose your power angles. The power may be coming from other places that you think are more important but all of it runs through the lower back.
The guy was saying that due to his mates greater deadlift numbers his mate would beat him in sparring if he boxed more. Which is kind of a crazy thing to say.
Deadlift is a great exercise but it's not going to make much difference to your boxing game unless you're really lacking strength in the first place.
Boxing is about applying force quickly, improving your strength with deadlift, squat etc. is going to help your power but nowhere near as much as explosive lifting (olympic), actual boxing training and plyometrics will.
I don't know why you're talking about 'the lower back muscle group being the most important' and 'power angles', makes you sound a bit daft.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #20
Windigo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
The guy was saying that due to his mates greater deadlift numbers his mate would beat him in sparring if he boxed more. Which is kind of a crazy thing to say.
Just because a guy is a great deadlifter densest mean he is a great fighter. His ability to maintain good posture isn't going to save his ass against a better fighter.

Quote:
I don't know why you're talking about 'the lower back muscle group being the most important' and 'power angles', makes you sound a bit daft.
When the lower back tires you start stand up and your joints start to lock out as you use more of your bone structure to support your weight. A fighter goes from a good athletic position with bent joints ready to explode, react and move to flat footed.

And that is not unique to boxing. Its the same with every sport. Its our nature to rely on the strength of our bone structure to support our weight when the muscles tire.
Windigo is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #21
MrSmall
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigo View Post

When the lower back tires you start stand up and your joints start to lock out as you use more of your bone structure to support your weight. A fighter goes from a good athletic position with bent joints ready to explode, react and move to flat footed.

And that is not unique to boxing. Its the same with every sport. Its our nature to rely on the strength of our bone structure to support our weight when the muscles tire.
agree there - but I don't think its only lower back and deadlift related, that's more of a general conditioning and fitness thing.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #22
BoxingFanNo1
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2650

A little over 200kg in my prime, left knee is shot to pieces so I'd be lucky to hit 130kg nowdays.
BoxingFanNo1 is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #23
lepinthehood
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 45

well larry holmes could barely rep 100lb over his head on all stars of whatever it was called back in the 80s.
lepinthehood is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #24
supremo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Most I hae deadlifted is 170kgs. I lack confidence in oing much higher as I have hurt my back deadlifting before. I also don't concentrate on maximal strength very often over the course of a year so a lot of the time I am just trying to maintain my strength levels and not gain any additional weight.
supremo is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #25
Windigo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall View Post
agree there - but I don't think its only lower back and deadlift related, that's more of a general conditioning and fitness thing.
I think that the deadlift is a lot better at developing stamina in the lower back than many people think.

For an early athlete posture and the ability to maintain it over the duration of your sport IMHO gives more benefit than just about any other aspect of training. This naturally a combination of strenght and stamina.

Posture is probably the most overlooked aspect too. You know I practice Judo. When I was a kid matwork was starting to dominate Judo. In short MMA tactics were working there way into Judo. Cheep quarter point throws like a double or single leg just to get your opponent to the mat fowolled by a submission or pin. To keep Judo from becoming just like MMA rules were changed. Matwork was deemphasized, direct attacks on the legs were made illegal, scoring on throws was loosened. Its a lot easier to get a match winning full point throw today than it use to be. Its much harder to win by pin or submission than it use to be. This makes class today more about throws and less about matwork.

So if you want to really practice your mat work its a good idea to go to the Graci edojo and role with them once a week. At the end of every practice I've almost always got at least one wrestler asking me how I passed the guard so easily. The answer is simple "Posture". I maintained my posture and slowly advanced my position while breaking down his posture. I'm able to do this because my lower back is so strong. If the BJJ guy I'm rolling with is able to sink the under hooks and pull me into him I'm screwed. The whole time his hips are flat I'm arching back and pushing him to the mat. All the while I'm moving a leg between his and forcing my knee under his hips. This breaks his posture. Eventually he will try to kick my hips out from under me, go for an elevator, or a submission. When this happens I attack whch ever leg he uses. As long as I still have my posture this is easy. The knee that has been driving his hips off the mat comes up into his nuts and I drive his leg to the ground opening up my pass. The combination of my knee in his nuts and the wrenching of his hip hurts like holy hell the knee position also makes taking the pressure off the hip impossible.

But this is all done through posture. If I act like your typical wrestler in the guard and burry my face in his chest arms in tight and pray that the ref stands us up it isn’t happening. If I don’t have the lower back to maintain my separation and he is able to pull me in it aint happening. All of the other stuff, driving my knee under his hips, pushing him to the mat, driving the leg to the mat ect. etc. etc. I cant do any of this if I cant maintain my posture.

And I've seen it in many other sports. The kid who has the core strength to maintain an excellent defensive end pass rush stance and power angles will dominate the bigger stronger guys when they do 1 on 1s at the end of 2 hour practices at summer football camps. The big guy who once had the advantage at the start of practice is now unable to maintain his posture and with it his technique.

I knew a great 215lb wrestler that would dominate heavyweights. You'd just watch and the moment that heavyweight's posture would go it was over. He didn't have to wait till the heavyweight was clearly gased. He knew as soon as the posture broke that it was time to end it.

Last edited by Windigo; 10-05-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Windigo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing