Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Question about lifting

This really doesn't have anything to do with Boxing training, but just weight training in general..

I have switched up my routine lately and am wondering what anyone thinks about doing Chest and triceps in the same day and Biceps and Back on another.. Is this a good idea, or should I do something else.. I am currently doing Chest on Monday, back on Tuesday, legs on wednesday and biceps and triceps on thursday, with mostly cardio classes on the weekends.. But have no time for shoulders.. Figured if I did bi's on the same day as back and tri's on the same day as chest, then i could free up my thursdays for shoulders..

Thoughts?
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
Windigo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Question about lifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
This really doesn't have anything to do with Boxing training, but just weight training in general..

I have switched up my routine lately and am wondering what anyone thinks about doing Chest and triceps in the same day and Biceps and Back on another.. Is this a good idea, or should I do something else.. I am currently doing Chest on Monday, back on Tuesday, legs on wednesday and biceps and triceps on thursday, with mostly cardio classes on the weekends.. But have no time for shoulders.. Figured if I did bi's on the same day as back and tri's on the same day as chest, then i could free up my thursdays for shoulders..

Thoughts?
I found out the hard way that working the complementary muscles on the same day is a bad idea. When I was young and ignorant like Virus I thought that all muscle was the same. I was wrong. When your triceps are tired from a chest workout you simply cant load the weight that they need. You will get good sarcompasmic hypertrophy and if you are young and ignorant you might equate that size with strength. What ultimately happens is your chest gets stronger and your triceps lag. If you are training for any kind of functional strength and not just looks this is a bad thing. Ideally your lockout should be extreamly powerful. Somone with ballanced power between triceps and chest should only fail at lower midpoint. If you fail at lockout your triceps are lagging.

Give the arms a chance to rest. Either do them on days that they are not supporting another muscle group or split the day so they get their energy back. Then hit them with everything you've got.

I always love this exchange

Question: What are you doing today?
Me: Legs and Triceps.
Question: What do those have in common.
Me: Absolutely nothing that’s the point.
Windigo is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
I found out the hard way that working the complementary muscles on the same day is a bad idea. When I was young and ignorant like Virus I thought that all muscle was the same. I was wrong. When your triceps are tired from a chest workout you simply cant load the weight that they need. You will get good sarcompasmic hypertrophy and if you are young and ignorant like Virus you might equate that size with strength. What ultimately happens is your chest gets stronger and your triceps lag. If you are training for any kind of functional strength and not just looks this is a bad thing.

Give the arms a chance to rest. Either do them on days that they are not supporting another muscle group or split the day so they get their energy back. Then hit them with everything you've got.
Thanks,

Yeah I kinda figured that doing bicep curls after doing back rows at a heavyweight would lead to diminished production with the biceps, and likewise with chest and tris. Just thought I'd throw the idea around.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
Windigo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks,

Yeah I kinda figured that doing bicep curls after doing back rows at a heavyweight would lead to diminished production with the biceps, and likewise with chest and tris. Just thought I'd throw the idea around.
Thats what it does. If you goal is strength chest/triceps back/biceps is a bad idea. Its more of a bodybuilding approach. The nice thing about working in arms with other groups like legs is that you can now superset really fast without missing a beat. You can superset legs and tirceps together and get through really fast. You can do the same with biceps and chest.
Windigo is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
pichuchu
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
When I was young and ignorant like Virus I thought that all muscle was the same
WOW someones obsessed with virus
pichuchu is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichuchu View Post
WOW someones obsessed with virus
If you don't agree with Windingo about how to gain weight I guess you're clueless about everything in the world.... And of course personal trainers are the lap dogs of the devil.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
MrSmall
Journeyman

Quote:

Thoughts?
What are your goals?
If you are seeing the gains you want don't worry about it.
Just work hard at the basics.
Ideally you train movements and then supplement them with smaller exercises, but that depends on your goals.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall View Post
What are your goals?
If you are seeing the gains you want don't worry about it.
Just work hard at the basics.
Ideally you train movements and then supplement them with smaller exercises, but that depends on your goals.
Basically functional strength, but also with a very lean and cut body.. I was trying to combine arms with chest and back, so that I could free up my thursdays for shoulders... Maybe what I'll do instead is do legs and shoulders on Wednesday combined, while continuing to do biceps and triceps on thursdays, and just reserve mondays for chest and tuesdays for back, like I've been doing.. What are your thoughts on this?
Old 10-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
Windigo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
If you don't agree with Windingo about how to gain weight I guess you're clueless about everything in the world.... And of course personal trainers are the lap dogs of the devil.
If you tell people not to count their calories when they bulk you are advising them to become lard asses.
Windigo is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #10
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
If you tell people not to count their calories when they bulk you are advising them to become lard asses.
Here we go You're going to ruin somebodies thread because you have a hard-on for me? Seriously?
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #11
Windigo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Here we go
Why don’t you answer the OPs question. At least I had the decency to help you conman.

I may have taken a quick jab at you since we were arguing the same point in another thread but I thoroughly answered the question of the OP who wants help. You are just being a shit head.
Windigo is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #12
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Why don’t you answer the OPs question. At least I had the decency to help you conman.

I may have taken a quick jab at you since we were arguing the same point in another thread but I thoroughly answered the question of the OP who wants help. You are just being a shit head.
Cry me a river.

Shit head? Lol. Calm down a bit.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #13
Windigo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Here we go You're going to ruin somebodies thread because you have a hard-on for me? Seriously?
I ran into the OPs thread. Oh **** you asshole!

My first post

Quote:
found out the hard way that working the complementary muscles on the same day is a bad idea. When I was young and ignorant like Virus I thought that all muscle was the same. I was wrong. When your triceps are tired from a chest workout you simply cant load the weight that they need. You will get good sarcompasmic hypertrophy and if you are young and ignorant like Virus you might equate that size with strength. What ultimately happens is your chest gets stronger and your triceps lag. If you are training for any kind of functional strength and not just looks this is a bad thing.

Your fist post

Quote:
Go ****ing choke on a dick you douchebag. Now I really am mad you little pissant.
Windigo is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #14
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I ran into the OPs thread. Oh **** you asshole!

My first post

[/font][/color]

Your fist post

Go ****ing choke on a dick you douchebag. Now I really am mad you little pissant.
Hahahaha! They be fighting words, bitch!!!
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #15
Windigo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Hahahaha! They be fighting words, bitch!!!
Quit trying to derail the thread. Everyone will see you for what I know you are.
Windigo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing