Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 10-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
StiffJab
Butcher Berridge
ESB Addict

vCash: 2746
Default Geale v Martinez 2012

Quote:
IBF middleweight champion Daniel Geale has the ability to defeat Sergio Martinez according to his manager Bill Treacy. “We have studied several of Sergio Martinez fights and are confident that Daniel has the skills to defeat the Argentine middleweight,” said Treacy. “After watching Darren Barker give Martinez a tough fight, we are now more convinced than before Daniel would win a Martinez-Geale bout. Martinez is rated #4 for the IBF crown but on his ring achievements he deserves to be recognized as the best 160 pounder in the world. I am sure the boxing world will want to see Daniel Geale and Sergio Martinez clash in 2012 to determine who is the best middleweight in the world,” concluded Treacy.

Daniel Geale captured the IBF middleweight crown in Germany by outscoring Sebastian Sylvester and defended it successfully with a clear decision win over Nigerian born and Miami based Eromosele Albert in 2011 bouts. Geale is promoted by Gary Shaw who recently stated, “I would like Daniel to have one more fight in Australia and he will be ready for a big fight in the USA on HBO or SHOWTIME. He will be ready to fight Sergio Martinez.”

Ray Wheatley fightnews
I think Sergio is much better than his preformance on the weekend showed. Darren didnt want to engage when Sergio's hands were low and didnt take the bait and was content landing 1's and 2's.

Had Barker pushed the fight he would have been stopped much earlier. If Geale can come forward and throw combinations and get out of range before Sergio throws the counter hook he should do well. Sergio is not getting any younger and he should be ripe for the picking in the next 3 years to come.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by StiffJab; 10-03-2011 at 09:37 PM.
StiffJab is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
donkeyking
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Geale v Martinez 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiffJab View Post
I think Sergio is much better than his preformance on the weekend showed. Darren didnt want to engage when Sergio's hands were low and didnt take the bait and was content landing 1's and 2's.

Had Barker pushed the fight he would have been stopped much earlier. If Geale can come forward and throw combinations and get out of range before Sergio throws the counter hook he should do well. Sergio is not getting any younger and he should be ripe for the picking in the next 3 years to come.
I dont rate Martinez that highly. Sure he can land bombs but if you stay away and box him, he can be easily beat. Paulie was dominating him early in the fight but he got too confident and got destroyed.
donkeyking is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
the beaver
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Geale will be ready after 2 more fights.
the beaver is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
StiffJab
Butcher Berridge
ESB Addict

Good to see so many Geale threads hanging around Aussie ESB, finally a worthy topic for discussion

A fight with Pirog would also be a great duel. Either way things are looking up for Daniel "No Deal" Geale
StiffJab is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
stiflers mum
Geale 4 life
East Side VIP

Quote:
Good to see so many Geale threads hanging around Aussie ESB, finally a worthy topic for discussion

A fight with Pirog would also be a great duel. Either way things are looking up for Daniel "No Deal" Geale
Go Geale. Great to see him try to unify.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
Bugger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:

I agree.

Havent seen Pirogs last two fights but enjoyed his thumping of Daniel Jacobs. If all goes to plan, one more fight would be perfect for Geale. He could seriously sky rocket with a win over Martinez. would i be wrong in saying a win would make him the first Oz born p4per since Fenech?
Bugger is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
StiffJab
Butcher Berridge
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger View Post
I agree.

Havent seen Pirogs last two fights but enjoyed his thumping of Daniel Jacobs. If all goes to plan, one more fight would be perfect for Geale. He could seriously sky rocket with a win over Martinez. would i be wrong in saying a win would make him the first Oz born p4per since Fenech?
Sounds about right Bugger, the only person that comes to mind is Jeff Harding but i dont think he cracked the top 10 during his run in the early 90's and Jeff was still active at the time.

I would say yes (with out googling)
StiffJab is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

Harding was usually ranked about third at Light Heavyweight, let alone a p4p list.
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #9
StiffJab
Butcher Berridge
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipswich express View Post
Harding was usually ranked about third at Light Heavyweight, let alone a p4p list.
He was the only Aussie Born world champion I could think of winning oversea's during that period. My bad
StiffJab is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #10
Bugger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Sounds about right Bugger, the only person that comes to mind is Jeff Harding but i dont think he cracked the top 10 during his run in the early 90's and Jeff was still active at the time.

I would say yes (with out googling)

I have to admit i was abit taken aback when i logged on saw people actually discussing boxing.

I could get use to this...

Great to see so many voicing their support Gealey
Bugger is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2011, 12:31 AM   #11
roscoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Geale should fight Pirog next to prepare him for Martinez. Very winnable fight for him against Pirog.
roscoe is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2011, 04:01 AM   #12
T.C.W
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If they can get a over $750 000 PAY DAY fighting Martinez go now. the man can really set himself up with that type of pay day and if he wins. he will make millions.
T.C.W is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2011, 04:04 AM   #13
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 765

How good is geale lads, i remembered he lost to mundine which isnt a good thing, has he improved since
Earl-hickey is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2011, 05:00 AM   #14
Sox
Hangin with the real deal
East Side Guru

vCash: 1044

Geale will beat Martinez when they meet.
Sox is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2011, 07:59 AM   #15
Francis75
Champion
East Side Guru

Geale is really no better than Darren Barker imo. Martinez would beat Geale just as easily and probably stop him.
Francis75 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum