Old 10-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #16
badlefthook84
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Geale v Martinez 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis75 View Post
Geale is really no better than Darren Barker imo. Martinez would beat Geale just as easily and probably stop him.
I agree with this, technically Geale is good, but he doesn't do anything to make you say wow. Volume puncher and workrate is his thing and he is very good at it but that type of fighter would not beat an excellent counter puncher like Martinez and Geale's lack of punching power is going to catch up with him eventually. Maybe im been too critical of him in light of Proksa destroying Sylvester saturday night but what was glaringly obvious and im been brutally honest is that in the 3 rounds of that fight, Proksa hit Sylvester with more clean punches than Geale did over 12.
badlefthook84 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #17
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

Bill Treacy reckons Geale has the ability to beat Martinez:

Geale - Martinez 2012?

by Ray Wheatley–World of Boxing- 3rd October 2011

IBF middleweight champion Daniel Geale has the ability to defeat Sergio Martinez according to his manager Bill Treacy. “We have studied several of Sergio Martinez fights and are confident that Daniel has the skills to defeat the Argentine middleweight,” said Treacy.

“After watching Darren Barker give Martinez a tough fight, we are now more convinced than before Daniel would win a Martinez-Geale bout. Martinez is rated #4 for the IBF crown but on his ring achievements he deserves to be recognized as the best 160 pounder in the world. I am sure the boxing world will want to see Daniel Geale and Sergio Martinez clash in 2012 to determine who is the best middleweight in the world,” concluded Treacy.

Daniel Geale captured the IBF middleweight crown in Germany by outscoring Sebastian Sylvester and defended it successfully with a clear decision win over Nigerian born and Miami based Eromosele Albert in 2011 bouts. Geale is promoted by Gary Shaw who recently stated, “I would like Daniel to have one more fight in Australia and he will be ready for a big fight in the USA on HBO or SHOWTIME. He will be ready to fight Sergio Martinez.”
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #18
CapsLock
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COULDHAVEBEEN View Post
Bill Treacy reckons Geale has the ability to beat Martinez:

Geale - Martinez 2012?

by Ray Wheatley–World of Boxing- 3rd October 2011

IBF middleweight champion Daniel Geale has the ability to defeat Sergio Martinez according to his manager Bill Treacy. “We have studied several of Sergio Martinez fights and are confident that Daniel has the skills to defeat the Argentine middleweight,” said Treacy.

“After watching Darren Barker give Martinez a tough fight, we are now more convinced than before Daniel would win a Martinez-Geale bout. Martinez is rated #4 for the IBF crown but on his ring achievements he deserves to be recognized as the best 160 pounder in the world. I am sure the boxing world will want to see Daniel Geale and Sergio Martinez clash in 2012 to determine who is the best middleweight in the world,” concluded Treacy.

Daniel Geale captured the IBF middleweight crown in Germany by outscoring Sebastian Sylvester and defended it successfully with a clear decision win over Nigerian born and Miami based Eromosele Albert in 2011 bouts. Geale is promoted by Gary Shaw who recently stated, “I would like Daniel to have one more fight in Australia and he will be ready for a big fight in the USA on HBO or SHOWTIME. He will be ready to fight Sergio Martinez.”
thanks for that? did u even read the first post of this thread?
CapsLock is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #19
CapsLock
Contender
ESB Senior Member

geale has a chance against martinez. not a great chance but a chance none the less.

martinez is a poor mans calzaghe
CapsLock is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #20
StiffJab
Butcher Berridge
ESB Addict

vCash: 2746

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsLock View Post
martinez is a poor mans calzaghe
StiffJab is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2011, 09:12 PM   #21
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

Quote:
Geale is really no better than Darren Barker imo. Martinez would beat Geale just as easily and probably stop him.
I feel exactly the same way.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #22
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsLock View Post
thanks for that? did u even read the first post of this thread?

Was too busy wrestling knuckleheads on another thread to notice .

At least I didn't need 10 prompts and still couldn't get the message like our friend Blind Francis....

...see Mundine 2011 thread - posts 1639 to 1650 - for the laugh of your life .
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2011, 11:21 PM   #23
perfect jet
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Early bird mail:

Martinez v andy lee, early part of 2012.
perfect jet is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #24
StiffJab
Butcher Berridge
ESB Addict

vCash: 2746

Andy Lee fought well on the weekend, i'm suprised he didnt do so well in the amatures (Olympic medal) because his style is suited to the Am more so than the pro's.

The way he was dropping those straight hard shots on Vera from a distance was beautiful, had he picked up the tempo and threw more combo's I think he could have finished him
StiffJab is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2011, 12:27 AM   #25
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

Andy Lee will have at least 3 inches plus on Martinez which will give Martinez more problems than most others at 160.
Its difficult for me to pick anyone against Martinez at 160, which is why i will stick with Martinez.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2011, 12:36 AM   #26
roscoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 0

Martinez will have no problems working Lee out & will stop him late in the fight.
roscoe is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2011, 03:20 AM   #27
Francis75
Champion
East Side Guru

Geale can't punch through your grandmothers rice pudding. If he comes to win the fight and has a good workrate then he gets KTFO by Martinez imo.
Francis75 is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2011, 03:21 AM   #28
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

By fighting and beating both Roman and Seb Geale Proved to himself that he is up to or there abouts World class level , personally I would like to see him fight Barker or Mc to re establish that level before he gets in with Martinez .
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2011, 03:50 AM   #29
Sox
Hangin with the real deal
East Side Guru

vCash: 1044

Quote:
Geale can't punch through your grandmothers rice pudding. If he comes to win the fight and has a good workrate then he gets KTFO by Martinez imo.
I think you under estimate Geale somewhat.

He smashed the shit out of Karmazin, convincingly beat Sylvester, and comfortably bashed Albert with a broken bone in his right hand.

Sure, Geale isn't known as a power puncher, and likely never will be. However his workrate and ring smarts is what makes him what he is.

Calzaghe wasn't a hard puncher either.
Sox is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2011, 04:04 AM   #30
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

The biggest myth in boxing is that Calzaghe slapped . He has a wicked bang on the kid early doors he just chose to volume punch because he had bad hands . He adjusted his style and adapted methods of winning , Joe had several game plans in his arsenal .
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum