Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-05-2011, 05:13 AM   #16
purephase
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Dmitry Pirog discusses Sergio Martinez: If you think i stole your belt....

Uh isn't the logical thing to do if you think a belt is stolen is refuse to pay the sanctioning fees to regain it? Also, when Martinez partly justified wanting to fight Pacquiao for his stripped WBC junior middleweight belt and Chavez for his stripped WBC middleweight belt, everyone insisted that he shouldn't care about belts and seek out for better opponents. Yet all of the sudden the onus is on him to fight again for the WBO belt, which was stripped in a far more egregious manner than those two, against an obscure opponent. Maybe if Pirog had the slightest claim to being the most legitimate challenger at 160 beyond the belt (e.g., if he had actually ever fought a top 10 middleweight in his career), Martinez would be a bit more inclined to fight for it, or at least a bit more boxed in.
purephase is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2011, 06:48 AM   #17
zenek2
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Dmitry Pirog discusses Sergio Martinez: If you think i stole your belt....

Quote:
Originally Posted by purephase View Post
Uh isn't the logical thing to do if you think a belt is stolen is refuse to pay the sanctioning fees to regain it? Also, when Martinez partly justified wanting to fight Pacquiao for his stripped WBC junior middleweight belt and Chavez for his stripped WBC middleweight belt, everyone insisted that he shouldn't care about belts and seek out for better opponents. Yet all of the sudden the onus is on him to fight again for the WBO belt, which was stripped in a far more egregious manner than those two, against an obscure opponent. Maybe if Pirog had the slightest claim to being the most legitimate challenger at 160 beyond the belt (e.g., if he had actually ever fought a top 10 middleweight in his career), Martinez would be a bit more inclined to fight for it, or at least a bit more boxed in.
When he fought jacobs for the wbo belt i think jacobs was in top 10. Also it aint so easy to make fights with top 10 guys like andy lee or junior chavez since their teams are protecting them from fighters like pirog. How many top 10 guys at 160 did martinez beat?
zenek2 is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #18
MrFoFody
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 3570

The fight is a high risk, low reward as Pirog is relatively unknown. There won't be much money in it but it would unify some belts and make for an exciting match.
MrFoFody is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #19
DobyZhee
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 928

my top 3...Maravilla, Pirog, Ishida..

I think a big money fight in germany between Maravilla and Pirog could sell if marketed correctly.
DobyZhee is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #20
MrFoFody
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DobyZhee View Post
my top 3...Maravilla, Pirog, Ishida..

I think a big money fight in germany between Maravilla and Pirog could sell if marketed correctly.
Quite possible for some big money overseas but I don't see Maravilla liking his chances at a points win in Germany.
MrFoFody is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #21
SweetHome_Bama
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 10918

Sergio is too ***** to ever fight Pirog.
SweetHome_Bama is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #22
MrFoFody
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHome_Bama View Post
Sergio is too ***** to ever fight Pirog.
He should just man up and take the fight. I think team Maravilla wants to cash in big with Pac or Floyd before losing any leverage.
MrFoFody is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #23
el mosquito
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 112

Quote:
Maybe if Pirog had the slightest claim to being the most legitimate challenger at 160 beyond the belt (e.g., if he had actually ever fought a top 10 middleweight in his career), Martinez would be a bit more inclined to fight for it, or at least a bit more boxed in.
I'm inclined to agree with you if not for his last two fights with Dzinziruk and Barker
el mosquito is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2011, 10:53 PM   #24
el mosquito
Belt holder
ESB Addict

any more well-wishes for the Russian visitor? i hope he finds Martinez soon and get him to sign a contract
Old 10-05-2011, 10:59 PM   #25
purephase
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by el mosquito View Post
I'm inclined to agree with you if not for his last two fights with Dzinziruk and Barker
Way to ignore pretty much my entire post. My point in that instance wasn't that Dzinziruk and Barker are the most distinguished middleweights (though the former has had a better career than Pirog and the latter isn't that far apart from him in terms of resume). My point was that for an accusation of ducking to stick, Pirog would have to actually establish himself as the most legitimate number 2 in the division. Say Martinez fights Geale next. Is he still ducking Pirog, even though Geale's best win is significantly better?
Old 10-05-2011, 11:11 PM   #26
Filthy McNasty
Punchy Old Pug
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugger3000 View Post
I would love to see this bout!
2nd!

Filthy McNasty is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2011, 11:31 PM   #27
madkillaz692000
Fuerte y Abundante
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

War!
madkillaz692000 is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2011, 11:59 PM   #28
el mosquito
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Way to ignore pretty much my entire post. My point in that instance wasn't that Dzinziruk and Barker are the most distinguished middleweights (though the former has had a better career than Pirog and the latter isn't that far apart from him in terms of resume). My point was that for an accusation of ducking to stick, Pirog would have to actually establish himself as the most legitimate number 2 in the division. Say Martinez fights Geale next. Is he still ducking Pirog, even though Geale's best win is significantly better?
lmao @ sticking to Dzin as having a better career than Pirog although it is at superwelterweight.

The purpose of this thread is to give hype to a potential match-up with Pirog and to expose Martinez' camp as hypocrites as they sell the story that no one wants to fight their man when in fact there is a Middleweight champion who flew from Russia to make a fight with him.

Martinez fighting Geale, Sturm or other MW champs is okay. Looking to fight smaller and battered ex-welterweights like Cotto and Margo is not. Pirog is the most willing to make a fight so why not give him his chance. their excuse that Pirog stole his belt as a reason why he is not getting a fight is ridiculous. saying that Pirog brings no money when he already agreed to fight nameless Barker is again ridiculous.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:19 AM   #29
Royal-T-Bag
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

best fight available at middle, hope sergio takes it.
Royal-T-Bag is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2011, 12:19 AM   #30
purephase
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by el mosquito View Post
their excuse that Pirog stole his belt as a reason why he is not getting a fight is ridiculous.
I'll ask again, but why? Why would you pay a sanctioning fee to fight for a belt you've already won and felt was wrongfully stripped? And why would you recognize the guy who won your vacant belt as a legitimate champion (especially when said beltholder has never even defeated a top 10 figher in the division)? Absent any mitigating circumstances (such as the opponent having the ability to bring a great deal of money to the table or achieving recognition as the best challenger in the entire division) not wanting to fight for a belt one has already rightfully won is perfectly logical.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum