ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Just rewatched Gerald McClellan vs Nigel Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMo View Post
Tragic fight for a great fighter who was an utter cunt as a person

Terrible ref as well

The most brutal fight I've ever seen
McClellan was obviously good,a big puncher and tall,but just what performance/opponent would indicate that he was a great fighter?
Clinton is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #78
chatty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1419

Read thread - comments on thread

1. You get a 20 count (as stated) when knocked out the ring.

2. Rabbit punches are not legel in the Uk, we just have shit officials

3. Rabbit punching is banned because you can't protect the back of your head, it can cause numerous amount of damage such as brain damage or spinal injuries.

4. Shots that cause cranial acceleration are likely to cause more damage imo but rabbit punches are very dangerous as-well. let's not argue over which punch is more deadly, we all know the sport and what can happen and hopefully I never see another night end like Benn/McClellen or Eubank/Watson 2 again.

5. Because of these fights the safety of the sport has improved dramatically. It normally takes a disaster before prevention's are put in place and this is what has happened (on several occasions. It's sad but it's also true.
chatty is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #79
Clinton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatty View Post
Read thread - comments on thread

1. You get a 20 count (as stated) when knocked out the ring.

2. Rabbit punches are not legel in the Uk, we just have shit officials

3. Rabbit punching is banned because you can't protect the back of your head, it can cause numerous amount of damage such as brain damage or spinal injuries.

4. Shots that cause cranial acceleration are likely to cause more damage imo but rabbit punches are very dangerous as-well. let's not argue over which punch is more deadly, we all know the sport and what can happen and hopefully I never see another night end like Benn/McClellen or Eubank/Watson 2 again.

5. Because of these fights the safety of the sport has improved dramatically. It normally takes a disaster before prevention's are put in place and this is what has happened (on several occasions. It's sad but it's also true.
Great ****ing post,Chatty!!!Well said!!!
Clinton is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #80
Chex31
AttackingLikeASlickApache
ESB Senior Member

Benn and his constant rabbit punching. Mother****er.
Chex31 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #81
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

First off, man does Ferdie Pacheco suck. The ref is supposed to separate the fighters after a break, not just let one guy rush past him while he's still in the way of the other guy. He separates them to a distance where he, the ref, can get out of the way so that in this case Benn can see McClellan coming. McClellan is a pro fighter and should know that he can't crowd the ref like that and if doing so gave Benn more time to recover then it's only his fault. Good job by the ref on that. On the other hand, the ref did a horrible job with the rabbit punches.

Second, eople keep saying that it's a hard fight to watch because of how it ended, but apart from the extra brutality that comes with it by knowing how it ends, it's not that great of a fight. Benn was a pretty wild brawler and McClellan was mostly a one punch at a time fighter who hoped that his power would do all the work for him. If not for the ending I doubt this is a talked about fight at all.

Third, I don't hope that anyone gets injured in boxing or football or any other sport, but if is has to happen to someone, I'm not going to cry too hard for Gerald McClellan. He was a cruel guy who did a lot of ****ed up shit to animals just for the hell of it, so if it's gonna happen to someone at least in his case there was some benefit.
Wilhelm is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum